Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord

Postby PianoManChuck » 13 Oct 2018, 04:13

Nord currently has 11 Grand Pianos (ie: Bosendorfer, Fazioli, Kawai, Steinway, Yamaha, etc).

This video demonstrates them all in 25-second intervals:

Watch on youtube.com
Product Reviewer
Authorized Reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, iLoud, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount
http://www.PianoManChuck.com

The author PianoManChuck was thanked by 4 members, including:
BerretjeSpiderJohannesMr_-G-
PianoManChuck

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord

Sponsor

Re: The 11 Grand Pianos of Nord

Postby AllanH » 13 Oct 2018, 07:04

Thanks Chuck from "Down Under"... love your work! Reckon you had a lot of fun doing this.
Before I purchased a Piano3, and 6 months later an Electro6, I visited many of your reviews/clips as well as researched this beaut forum. This gave me a lot of confidence in my choice of instruments and I'm certainly not disappointed
Personally my favourite is the Shigeru Kawai.
cheers, Allan.
my gear: Nord Electro 6D, Nord Piano 5 /73, Centerpoint Stereo Spacestation, Yamaha UX 3
previous gear: Nord Piano 3
AllanH

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby SteveNordP3 » 13 Oct 2018, 15:12

Thanks Chuck. How specifically were these recorded in terms of signal path and DAW; e.g., flat EQ both at the Nord and DAW? Pre-amps (if so, what brand/settings)? Etc.

Thanks!
Last edited by SteveNordP3 on 13 Oct 2018, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby PianoManChuck » 13 Oct 2018, 15:52

AllanH wrote:Thanks Chuck from "Down Under"... love your work! Reckon you had a lot of fun doing this.
Before I purchased a Piano3, and 6 months later an Electro6, I visited many of your reviews/clips as well as researched this beaut forum. This gave me a lot of confidence in my choice of instruments and I'm certainly not disappointed
Personally my favourite is the Shigeru Kawai.
cheers, Allan.

Thanks for the feedback Allan, much appreciated! BTW: The 'meaning' of Shigeru is luxuriant, excellence, and its also sometimes used as a proper name in Japanese culture.
Product Reviewer
PianoManChuck

Postby PianoManChuck » 13 Oct 2018, 16:06

SteveNordP3 wrote:Thanks Chuck. How specifically were these recorded in terms of signal path and DAW; e.g., flat EQ both at the Nord and DAW? Pre-amps (if so, what brand/settings)? Etc.

Thanks!

The performance was captured in MIDI format using a DAW. From there, the following process was repeated 11 times:
- Load the specific piano sample into the NP4 (the largest available, which was either XL or LRG).
- The MIDI performance was sent to the MIDI IN of the NP4 so that it could be 'played back' using the chosen sample.
- While the sample was being 'played back', it was captured onto its own stereo AUDIO track in the DAW using the L+R line outputs.
NOTE: Only a slight reverb (Stage, setting 3.4) was used on each.

Once the above was completed, it was a tedious editing job in a video editor dividing the video into 25-second samples, and muting out the 10 samples that weren't used in each 25-second segment.
I ended up with: 2 video tracks, 12 audio tracks (11 stereo audio tracks for the pianos + 1 Microphone track for the vocal), 3 text tracks (title, captions, scrolling, etc).

While the video looks simple enough, and while it all makes sense to those who understand what I wrote above, it was still a long drawn-out process that took several days to complete. But the final video came out as well as (if not better than) I expected!

Cheers!
Product Reviewer

The author PianoManChuck was thanked by 2 members, including:
SpiderPScooter63
PianoManChuck

Postby SteveNordP3 » 13 Oct 2018, 16:24

PianoManChuck wrote:
SteveNordP3 wrote:Thanks Chuck. How specifically were these recorded in terms of signal path and DAW; e.g., flat EQ both at the Nord and DAW? Pre-amps (if so, what brand/settings)? Etc.

Thanks!

The performance was captured in MIDI format using a DAW. From there, the following process was repeated 11 times:
- Load the specific piano sample into the NP4 (the largest available, which was either XL or LRG).
- The MIDI performance was sent to the MIDI IN of the NP4 so that it could be 'played back' using the chosen sample.
- While the sample was being 'played back', it was captured onto its own stereo AUDIO track in the DAW using the L+R line outputs.

Once the above was completed, it was a tedious editing job in a video editor dividing the video into 25-second samples, and muting out the 10 samples that weren't used in each 25-second segment.
I ended up with: 2 video tracks, 12 audio tracks (11 stereo audio tracks for the pianos + 1 Microphone track for the vocal), 3 text tracks (title, captions, scrolling, etc).

While the video looks simple enough, and while it all makes sense to those who understand what I wrote above, it was still a long drawn-out process that took several days to complete. But the final video came out as well as (if not better than) I expected!

Cheers!

Agree - it looks simple but was quite a process. Thanks for doing it.

So - other than some slight reverb from the NP4, the audio is not EQ’d in any way and just goes straight from the NP4 L/R outs to your DAW L/R ins - no pre-amps, no other signal processing?
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby PianoManChuck » 13 Oct 2018, 16:34

SteveNordP3 wrote:Agree - it looks simple but was quite a process. Thanks for doing it.

So - other than some slight reverb from the NP4, the audio is not EQ’d in any way and just goes straight from the NP4 L/R outs to your DAW L/R ins - no pre-amps, no other signal processing?

That's correct. With the exception of the slight reverb, no other effects or EQ was used - the signal was unaltered from the NP4 to the resultant recorded tracks
Product Reviewer
PianoManChuck

Postby Spider » 13 Oct 2018, 22:15

Great job Chuck, nice playing and really useful!
My personal favourites are the Silver for a bright sound and the Velvet for a soft one, but it's surprising to hear how good some of the oldies sound even in the direct comparison!
On the other hand, the more I hear the Italian grand the less I like it (unfortunately, as I AM Italian!), it sounds totally lifeless to me.
Thanks again!
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby PianoManChuck » 14 Oct 2018, 01:01

Spider wrote:Great job Chuck, nice playing and really useful!
My personal favourites are the Silver for a bright sound and the Velvet for a soft one, but it's surprising to hear how good some of the oldies sound even in the direct comparison!
On the other hand, the more I hear the Italian grand the less I like it (unfortunately, as I AM Italian!), it sounds totally lifeless to me.
Thanks again!

Thanks! Funny that you mentioned that you like the Italian (Fazioli) less. It used to be one of my favorites, but since they added newer grands, the Italian doesn't sound so great anymore. I think I like the Royal Grand 3D the best (or at least one of the best) at this point.
Product Reviewer
PianoManChuck

Postby Quai34 » 14 Oct 2018, 03:12

SteveNordP3 wrote:
PianoManChuck wrote:

Thanks!

Cheers!

Agree - it looks simple but was quite a process. Thanks for doing it.

Thanks Chuck for all this great work and yes, I know that the video part is always the toughest one...For me, it still the Bosie in XL, well, I don't have that much room in the Stage 2 so, I had to do a tough choice....
Bravo!!! For doing this agin.
Sincerely
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum