General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Simply auditioning all Programs and sound selection

Postby Freerskier » 04 Oct 2018, 08:24

Ok. Newb alert.

Just got my sparkly new stage 3. Yep it's cool. Sounds great.

Been playing, synths, organs pianos and the like for decades. Even strayed to guitars and drum things as well. Yeah, I'm old but with no sense of irony I'm fairly tech savvy. I even worked in IT for many years before being a ski bum musician became possible.

So, with great anticipation and honest joy I unboxef and plugged the phenom Red Devil in.

Apprecite it's performance oriented. I get that. I'm on Page 10 of the manual - so simply written , so confusing - we are selecting programs via the 5 buttons and the dial and list mode. Move the dial and it scrolls across the 5 buttons A11 to 15. Then B etc all the way to P. The last couple being empty "banks".

Now to my confusion Nordanians. The "sound" list at the back of the manual lists 279 er sounds. I can't find a way to simply scroll through these to check them out. Twisting the dial or going to list mode means I can go through the "programs' - up to 80 - of which there are A to P with 5 slots in each but not all populated, there's empty slots from N. ish onwards.

Now for the fanfare introduced question that's probably been answered many times before: what's the simple way just to select the 279. and...... is there a list somewhere of all the programs. There's the list in the Manual of all the 279 sounds but the programs? Is there a list of those somewhere? Yeah I know - I'm playing.

Hmmm. So apologies - I could have confused myself here and I'd hope you gals and guys with the logic of a lightning bolt (oooo - better use that line in a song) can put me straight.

Wow. An overly long post. Thanks!
Freerskier

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Simply auditioning all Programs and sound selection

Sponsor

Re: Simply auditioning all Programs and sound selection

Postby Freerskier » 04 Oct 2018, 08:27

Oops - apols for the typos. I'm a few beers in hearvim the west after unboxing and going straight to rehearsal. Apologies for the length of my post. Just like to engage a little.
Freerskier

Postby Schorsch » 04 Oct 2018, 08:59

Hi,

first of all welcome to the forum and congratulations for beeing a new member of the Nord family :thumbup:

I don’t have the manual in front of me right now to check this list of sounds you are referring to, but I think you are either referring to the list of available samples or to the synth presets. The concept of the Nord is different from other synths you may be used to.

You have samples available in both the piano library and in the sample library. The piano samples are available in the piano section only and are used to build your piano sounds of choice.

The other samples are accessible from the synth section as part of a synth preset, like there are waveforms and others accessible in that section. The NS3 is providing a number of factory loaded synth presets, these are accessible by enabling the synth section and using the dial labeled “Synth Preset” next to the volume control of the synth. The samples which are loaded into the sample library are selected by setting the synth waveform to “SAMP” and turning the “OSC1 Waveform” knob.

All of these (Pianos, Synth presets, Organ settings) can be saved in a program in one of the available program slots in the banks A to P.

Hope this helps?

Best regards from Germany, Georg
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Freerskier » 05 Oct 2018, 00:46

I think Ive sussed it.

a) Like you say the 279 sounds listed in the manual are (I think) the basic samples used in the programs/presets
b) The 5 buttons that access presets themselves in the central program section seem, as I posted, to scroll through A11-15 to P11-15 Programs. This 16 x 5 or 80 programs and not the 400 quoted in the comparison chart: http://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/n ... ison-chart. However, and here's the doosy, it looks like if you hit the page left and right buttons this then access the other pages in that bank of programs. This I only discovered by going into about page 30 of the manual. the initial "lets select a program" section early on in the manual makes no mention of the pages buttons - hence my confusion. It would be cool if it did of course.

So 5 x 80 = the 400.

Ill be trying this later when I get hoe of course - kind of excited.

But what I'd still like to see (expect? - ooo, a bit strong) somewhere is a printed list of these 400 programs. They are not listed in the manual or anywhere on the website.

Totally appreciate the architecture is different and Nord prefers to encourage creating our own programs but, as a point of reference it would be great to have that list. Even searched the interweb and nowhere could I find a list of the 400 programs - yep Iknow some of them up in the N - P banks are empty locations by the way.

Thanks again.
Freerskier

Postby Schorsch » 05 Oct 2018, 12:30

Hi,

you can get a list of available programs, samples and synth presets from the Nord sound manager. After connecting the NS3 to your computer and starting the Nord sound manager it loads all of these which are available in your N"3 at that moment. You then can export the lists into a couple of HTML files from the menu using "File" -> "Export Sound Lists". It will create indivudual HTML files for Pianos, Samples, Programs and Synth Presets. These file can be opened from your web browser where you can print them out. Not really straight forward but on the other hand quite easy to do.
Last edited by Schorsch on 05 Oct 2018, 12:33, edited 4 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Schorsch
Donator

Postby analogika » 05 Oct 2018, 15:08

It’s not Banks A-P with five slots each — every one of those has slots 11-15 and then 21-25 and then 31-35 and so on.

So it’s A-P with twenty-five slots each.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby Freerskier » 05 Oct 2018, 22:07

Thanks to Nordanians analogika and the tech savvy Hervshahn - I should have read ahead a bit and not just dived on here to tap into your deepunderstanding of this wonderful instrument.

Many thanks. :thanx:

The author Freerskier was thanked by:
analogika
Freerskier

Postby Schorsch » 06 Oct 2018, 01:04

Freerskier wrote:Thanks to Nordanians analogika and the tech savvy Hervshahn - I should have read ahead a bit and not just dived on here to tap into your deepunderstanding of this wonderful instrument.

Many thanks. :thanx:

Always happy to help :welcome:
Regards Schorsch

Schorsch
Donator

Postby Tgc00000 » 11 Nov 2018, 12:17

Imhave the same issue as the original poster. Just got the new NS3 Compact 73 and am trying to listen to all of the sounds to,figure out what is in the board. The easiest way I’ve found is to go to Sound Manager webpage and you can scroll through and listen to a sample of all the patches there. This is giving me a good foundation of what sounds the presets are built on.
Tgc00000

Postby peteques » 14 Nov 2018, 02:01

Where is this list- its not in my printed manual or in download manual?
peteques

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum