MOOG ONE

Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.
Quai34
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

MOOG ONE

Post by Quai34 »

So, I'm guessing now it won't be anymore Stage 2EX versus Stage 3 but Stage 3 + Sequential Prophet X versus Moog One:
Stage 3 4000$ + Prophet X 4000$ = Moog One 8000$
Is it me or am I alone thinking that the price of Polysynth is getting crazy?
Well, it's a real beast but man, 8000$!!!! I'm glad there is still a Rev 2 for 2000$ or a used P08 for 1000$...The P12 I got for 2700$ CAN = 2000 USD was a steal in fact...

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018 ... available/

Available at Sweetwater end of October...
Last edited by Quai34 on 05 Oct 2018, 09:29, edited 2 times in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
solmaster
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: MOOG ONE

Post by solmaster »

Makes the Stage 3 seem like a bargain!
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Post by analogika »

Crazy?

Check out prices for a vintage Memorymoog with a late Lintronics upgrade. ;-)
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
Quai34

Post by Quai34 »

Yes, you're right, isn't it around 25.000$?
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Post by analogika »

No, but somewhat northwards of 10,000€ seems to be realistic.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018 ... -available

The Moog One is offered in two versions: the 8-voice Moog One is priced at $5,999 and the 16-voice Moog One is priced at $7,999. Both offer synthesis capabilities not found in any previous Moog keyboard.

See also https://www.soundonsound.com/news/birth-moog-one for a very detailed background story.
Last edited by maxpiano on 06 Oct 2018, 08:11, edited 5 times in total.
AdamStage2

Post by AdamStage2 »

I don't think this Synth is overpriced,it is after all a luxury instrument,and that comes with a premium price tag,I've spent ten fold of the price of this on instruments/Studio Gear over the years(Including several Nords)for me if this is a "do it all" Analog Synth for the lucky ones that want to own one then that really is a good investment if you can get all you want out of it and never need anything else.

It certainly has that Moog heritage,reliability and top drawer build Quality,the Voyager was a hefty price tag for a Monosynth,it was for me a synth I aspired to own,Which I did for over a decade,but the problem with Moogs are no matter what you do to them,it will always sound like a Moog and sometimes this becomes vastly over powering in a mix context,from the Demos of this new Polysynth my view hasn't changed about that Moog Sound,Its why I eventually sold my Voyager,the Moog One does sound really nice but does nothing to excite me to want one,much like the Sequential Prophet X which is also another luxury instrument

if you aspire to own a Moog One then good luck to those who wish to pursue it,It looks and sounds fantastic irrespective of its price its a large investment that you need to consider seriously and not just buy as an impulse purchase which I suspect many people will do(even at that price tag)and you'll find some cropping up secondhand within months.
Last edited by AdamStage2 on 20 Oct 2018, 22:55, edited 3 times in total.
Quai34

Post by Quai34 »

Well, I Saw a lot of people on KC ordering it immediately and I was thinking , "well, they have the cash!", but you named it, "impulse buy"....
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

I was reading the page about the 40th anniversary of the Prophet 5 https://www.sequential.com/2018/08/sequ ... niversary/ and a sentence captured my attention:

"Manufactured from 1978 to 1984 with an initial price of $3995 (about $15,000 in today’s dollars)"

Of course things have changed pretty much in 40 years, but sometimes it is good to recall how much the synths used to cost, compared to that the Moog One is of course not cheap but neither so "incredibly" expensive or overpriced, just... very expensive. ;)
Last edited by maxpiano on 22 Oct 2018, 14:28, edited 4 times in total.
AdamStage2

Post by AdamStage2 »

This is why I don't consider it expensive,when you look at what you get under the Hood of the Moog One there is quite a lot and its more than just a mediocre analog poly,say like a Jupiter 8 or Elka Synthex or Prophet 5,its a luxury like the original Analog Polys were financially back in their heyday,it will be another instrument bought by a few home synth hobbyists with the spare income but more likely owned by the Rich and famous or commercial studios

Back in the original days of the more upmarket Polys,the market wasn't flooded with other cheaper alternatives like it is today,we have a plethora of Budget synths that have just saturated the lower end of the market and made things more accessible to people who perhaps were not serious musicians,in the 70's/80s those high end instruments were used by established artists and more commercial studios who could afford them,they've only been priced out of reach by collectors of vintage Gear and lack of numbers still available makes them ever more harder to source and of course pushes up the price,in this day and age we need luxury synths in order to segregate the lower end budget machines from the Pro,if I wanted to buy a secondhand Jupiter 8 or P5 ,personally I would rather spend the money on a newer Moog One which is going to come with a warranty and not be hard to fix should things go wrong,which being new would be very unlikely anyway,it would probably be a better and cheaper investment anyway given the price of the JP8 of late!

Many people just see the price of the Moog One and complain its expensive,because they can buy a 12 Voice Analog from Behringer for less than a Grand,well you pay your money and take your choice,but just because Behringer can make a cheaper alternative doesn't mean than Moog are able to make one too Neither do they wish too,You may be able to get an analog for a 1/4 of the price of the Moog,but I would put money on which one would still be working and standing in a decade or even 20 years time,there is a reason why one company costs more than the other to make things and its not just because of the Name!
Last edited by AdamStage2 on 22 Oct 2018, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.