Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Controlling Slots with multiple external MIDI keyboards

Postby Polgar » 25 Sep 2018, 18:33

Hi!

I’ve been searching this splendid forum for an already existing thread on this subject, but without any luck.

My gear: Nord Lead 2X and (soon) a bunch of decent MIDI keyboards.

What I want to achieve: To trigger the sound of Slot 1 with the keys of the actual Nord Lead and Slot 2-4 with 3 independent MIDI keyboards, resulting in 4 separate “synths” to play simultaneously in a live environment.

Is this possible? Do you see any problems with this setup? If the MIDI keyboards have pitch and mod. wheels, will I be able to use them?

Thanks!
Polgar

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Controlling Slots with multiple external MIDI keyboards

Sponsor

Re: Controlling Slots with multiple external MIDI keyboards

Postby weremole » 29 Sep 2018, 14:30

AFAIK this is totally possible. Just set slot A, B, C and D to respond on a different MIDI channels. Preferably not the NL2x's Global MIDI channel. Then set your MIDI controllers to send on the MIDI channels of slot B, C and D respectively. Last step is to only have slot A active on the NL2x so you don't play BCD on the NL2x keyboard. They will still respond to receiving MIDI.

I'm not entirely sure about pitch bend/mod wheel but I'm pretty sure this will be only send to the slots with the same MIDI channel. I also control my NL2x externally and usually use the sustain pedal of my controller board. I'm pretty sure it does only send sustain to the receiving MIDI slots so I guess this will work indentical for pitch bend/mod wheel.
weremole

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Re: Controlling Slots with multiple external MIDI keyboards

Postby Polgar » 30 Sep 2018, 01:51

Thanks!!
Polgar

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum