Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Nord Wave pitch stick is out of tune / wonky

Postby Zargon33 » 30 Nov 2013, 20:40

Hello, my Nord Wave has just recently been acting strangely, the pitch drifts on its own while playing. It's definitely the pitch stick, since messing with it slightly will bring it back to home value but it won't stay there. I haven't had this very long, maybe a year and a half - what is the standard warranty on a Nord Wave that was purchased new? Do I have any replacement options on this? I live in Grand Rapids MI, wondering if there is a service center nearby, or if there is a part that I can order to solder in myself? Help. This keyboard is too nice to be sitting around broken.

Thanks!
Zargon33

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Nord Wave pitch stick is out of tune / wonky

Sponsor

Re: Nord Wave pitch stick is out of tune / wonky

Postby mjbrands » 30 Nov 2013, 23:00

I suggest you contact Pablo Mastodon, who does Nord technical support for the US and Canada. He should be able to assist you and discuss your options with you.

Pablo Mastodon
Nord Technical Support USA/Canada
(800) 994-4984 x3030 USA
(800) 431-2609 x3030 Canada
(813) 644-8480 (direct line)
mjbrands

Postby Cliffy » 07 Dec 2013, 13:16

Hello Zargon33, I have the same problem, support hasn't replied to me, I've written to them for months.
I can only use the wave remotely via midi, if you cough or fart near the thing it goes out of tune.

Good luck man!
Cliffy

Postby Cliffy » 10 Jan 2014, 04:12

Hello Zargon33, have you had any help from Nord with the problem?
I'm getting a bit desperate, gigs coming and still no reply from Nord Support to my mails.
I'd be very grateful if you could pass on any fix or advice they may have given you.
Cheers
Cliffy

Postby Mr_-G- » 11 Jan 2014, 14:56

I bet that these are worn/broken sensors in the stick. From what I read here, there is no way of "fixing" it other than sending to a service or if you are brave buying yourself a new stick part and soldering to the board (4 cables, search the forum there is a photo somewhere). Pablo Mastodon has suggested that this is a delicate job, so you might be better have it done with people who know what they are doing.
I have the feeling that the problems with the stick are more common than I would wish, so I always look at the pitch stick in my NS2 with a pinch of uneasiness and think how long it might last... :(
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby pablomastodon » 11 Jan 2014, 19:15

NOTE: in "emergency" situations where a pitch stick goes out and the instrument is unplayable, it is possible to open it up and snip the four wires leading from the pstick to the panelboard to disable it entirely. This advice will apply to all pstix-equipped Nords.

ALSO NOTE: extreme care must always be taken in opening an instrument to avoid damaging ribbon cables, or anything else for that matter. If/when in doubt or unsure about an operation, DON'T DO IT! Leave it to a pro.

Of course, on Stage it is possible to disable from the front panel, but that would involve editing every program to remove pstick and then re-editing after repair to restore same. Cutting the cables will be much easier.

Johannes, perhaps you have a clever idea for where/how to post this for general reference?

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Mr_-G-
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Jansson93 » 26 Sep 2018, 09:33

Hi!

I have exactly the same problem on my Wave, how do I disable the pitch bend function on the synth, or is the only solution to open it up and cut the wires?
Jansson93

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Return to Nord Wave Forum