This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Advice on using a Regulated Power Supply?

Postby druidstone » 22 Sep 2018, 14:08

Does anyone have the issue with needing to use some kind of regulated power supply?

Some of the venues we play in have just one power point on the stage, which means one power point for the whole band to plug into, with my husbands Mesa Boogie guitar amp turned on, then as soon as our bass player turns on his bass amp, my Nord Keyboards seem to be operating on half power and I cant get anywhere near the required stage volume, even with my mixing desk on full. Even when i hold the keys down on the synth the sound fades out quickly instead of staying for as long as i hold the keys down. Its just impossibe for me to play anything except piano!
In my computer work I can remember some devices needing a "regulated" power supply to ensure consistent voltage.

I cant think of anything else to use but a full computer UPS power backup system which has its own battery.
But I wonder if that would be adequate as they are designed to last no more than 5-10 minutes in the event of a full power blackout.

Is there another electrical "gadget" I can use to ensure continuous voltage to my Nords?

Or should I maybe learn to play the flute for those particular venues LOL
Last edited by druidstone on 22 Sep 2018, 14:13, edited 3 times in total.
druidstone

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Advice on using a Regulated Power Supply?

Sponsor

Re: Advice on using a Regulated Power Supply?

Postby Mr_-G- » 22 Sep 2018, 15:03

I think that a volume issue is unlikely to be because of a power issue with the mains. I would guess that the kbd would just not work (it consumes maximum 35W).
If you experience a low volume at the mixing end, have you thought of trying a DI box?
Also being the synth part which is affected and not the piano I wonder if this has anything to do with the expression pedal.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: Advice on using a Regulated Power Supply?

Postby srcohiba11 » 24 Sep 2018, 17:43

I use a Furman M-8Lx Standard Level Power Conditioning in my rack in which I plug in all my synths as well as my powered monitors and mixer. Haven't had any issues.
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Yamaha CP 73
Yamaha ModX7

Old Stuff in Storage:
Yamaha DX 7-II FD
Emu Proteus
srcohiba11

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to General Nord Forum