Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Which Electro

Postby Relhby » 20 Sep 2018, 09:15

Yes, seamless transition is so important, especially if you constantly playing bass on organ, without bassist, and need to change programs often.
What really bothers me, if B3 sound is much different from NE4, which i currently have. Many people say that it's nothing comparing to SK1 and Mojo, but i tried them and somehow i still prefer that dry and clicky NE4's sound, and worry if it has the same qualities in NE6..
Relhby

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby michael_C1 » 22 Sep 2018, 04:13

Relhby wrote:Yes, seamless transition is so important, especially if you constantly playing bass on organ, without bassist, and need to change programs often.
What really bothers me, if B3 sound is much different from NE4, which i currently have. Many people say that it's nothing comparing to SK1 and Mojo, but i tried them and somehow i still prefer that dry and clicky NE4's sound, and worry if it has the same qualities in NE6..

I can't say about the Mojo, but I prefer Nord's C2D organ engine to the SK. if I'm not mistaken, the Hammond SK is sampled, and maybe that's why it sounds too digital to me. Strange that Hammond (Suzuki) doesn't make the best Hammond emulation anymore.
michael_C1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby Relhby » 22 Sep 2018, 14:52

What i like in SK1 more than in Nord is left hand bass sound. When you play bass with typical 808 drawbar settings, Nord sounds a bit dull and quiet, while SK1 is really fat and easily customizable.
I know that "B3 bass" is introduced in NE5/6, but this is not a good alternative, since it emulates only hammond pedals, without lower manual.
SK1 allows you to do really deep-level sound customization, so i doubt it's sampled. Raw B3 sound does not differ with Nord that much, it's internal Leslie sim, that makes 90% of difference IMHO
Last edited by Relhby on 22 Sep 2018, 15:24, edited 2 times in total.
Relhby

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby michael_C1 » 22 Sep 2018, 18:31

Seems like you're right about the sampling Relhby. From the Hammond site: "The Modern Hammond Organ’s Sk Series’ VASE III “Engine” uses the exact model of Laurens Hammond’s design".

To compensate for weaker bass on my E5, I sometimes use an EP for LH bass, which gives me a bit of a Jaco sound. Of course it's not 'authentic' then.
michael_C1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby anotherscott » 22 Sep 2018, 19:12

michael_C1 wrote:Seems like you're right about the sampling Relhby. From the Hammond site: "The Modern Hammond Organ’s Sk Series’ VASE III “Engine” uses the exact model of Laurens Hammond’s design".

The meaning there is vague.

My understanding is that VASE III uses phase-locked samples. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's either better or worse than modeling would be. And modeling, itself, is not all of the same quality. So really, the distinction is kind of academic. Just go with what you like!
anotherscott

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum