General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: My Passive DI Box Is Reducing Volume On My Nord Stage 2

Postby RichardG » 21 Sep 2018, 16:14

Sal-FloydonNord2 wrote:WOW this sounds really interesting. I am currently looking into going stereo and must follow this up.

I do have a small mixer already an ALTO ZMX52 ( https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/alto-ze ... PwEALw_wcB ). Do you think I could do same with this??

It looks like this one doesn't have balanced out (which is what a DI does to the signal).

Sal-FloydonNord2 wrote:So your cables link the mixer to the Nord (which Nord out channels do you use for Stereo), and the sound guys 2 x XLRs plug directly into your mixer, and definitely no DI boxes on their line to the PA?? I don't suppose you could send me a link for the mixer you use could you?

I actually have the model "above" it : https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/alto-ze ... mixer.html

Still small but has just the extras I need :
- Balanced out
- Separate output for my monitor
- Can handle 2 stereo ins (4 cables 2 left 2 right), in case I would use all 4 outputs on my Nord)
- Can add a mic (using split cable) so I can control my own levels and doesn't route back to FoH.
- Can have a monitor line from FoH back in also only audible on my monitor

Everything is in a regular case, all connectors are in the mixer already.
So I can just plugin 2 or 4 cables into the Nord.
Have 2 TRS->XLR cables on the output so the cables can be plugged in.
Monitor cable also ready.

Sal-FloydonNord2 wrote:Also do you mean you use just 1 plug to power the Nord and mixer or have I misunderstood. Can't imagine how one power plug provides power to both bits of equipment.

I have a small power-strip in the case which has the mixer, the Nord-power-cable and the monitor-power-cable in it.
From there I only need one socket; got a 10 feet cable to get power in my vicinity.

It's nice to have it all in one place, no more searching for cables and figuring out what to do.
Also got some gaffer-tape, my footswitches and a small toolbox in there so I'm almost completely self-supporting :)

I'm up and running within 10 minutes (including getting the stuff on stage) :
- Set up keyboard stand, unpack the Nord and put it on the stand.
- Open the case below it, connect all cables and footswitches.
- Set up monitor-pole, put monitor on.
- Get the cable from the case (power and signal cables are joined) and plug them in.
- Plug into the power-outlet and everything comes up.
- When the mic's setup insert my splitter cable and done !
The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.
RichardG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Sponsor

Postby Schorsch » 21 Sep 2018, 16:38

Sal-FloydonNord2 wrote:Hi,

I believe have! None of the attenuator buttons are pushed in so they should be on 0db. Here is a link to the DI box I have, (from Absolute Music from where the DI box came from): https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/art-zdi ... 00QAvD_BwE

Thought so, just wanted to eliminate the chance of one of the most obvious mistakes made with DI boxes since the attentuator buttons are sometimes simply forgotten to be switched to the right position ....

I m using a Palmer passive dual DI Box PAN04 and have never experienced any significant reduction of volume with this one, maybe it’s a matter of quality since the ART products are low-to-mid range according to my experience.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cgrafx » 21 Sep 2018, 18:01

Hervshahn wrote:I m using a Palmer passive dual DI Box PAN04 and have never experienced any significant reduction of volume with this one, maybe it’s a matter of quality since the ART products are low-to-mid range according to my experience.

There isn't anything inherently bad about the ART products and under normal circumstances it should not be introducing large signal drops. The issue here in this case is without a 2nd DI to test against there isn't an easy way to determine exactly what the problem is.

Its possible that the PAD switches are bad, or the balancing transformer is defective.

Either way, the sonic quality of the Radial DI's is top notch and they are built like a tank.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Mr_-G- » 21 Sep 2018, 18:47

Sal-FloydonNord2 wrote:I didn't realise until rehearsal this week, when the volume had to be pushed up to max on the PA keyboard channel, (with my Nord master volume knob also on max), that the DI box was seriously affecting the volume output from my Nord Stage 2. All the Filter, Phase buttons etc were switched off and it only reduced the volume further when they were activated.

Did you adjust the gain in the mixer? As cgrafx mentioned, you cannot compare the line-in input to the DI signal.
And did you try a different strip in the mixer?
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby RichardG » 22 Sep 2018, 12:58

Sal-FloydonNord2 wrote:WOW this sounds really interesting. I am currently looking into going stereo and must follow this up.

This is how it looks like IRL :
MixingHub.jpg
Central hub connecting Nord Stage to FoH and monitor
MixingHub.jpg (1015.78 KiB) Viewed 796 times
The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.
RichardG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum