General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Stage 3 Piano Sample Noise

Postby ajstan » 18 Sep 2018, 16:24

The recent updates to the NS3 have addressed the click when switching between piano filters and the annoying hiss when using the Bright filter. I would expect that some around here will still not be satisfied, but it was a significant improvement for me. I’m on v1.46.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Quai34 » 18 Sep 2018, 17:41

I have never heard/felt any of that noise on my Stage 2, I don't have a Stage 3 but I would be surprised if the new flagship model has more noise?? Well, when I will have my Stage 3 Compact, I will let you know...
Sincerely
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby analogika » 18 Sep 2018, 17:47

The Stage 3 has an overall slightly brighter sound. It's really rather nice, compared to the 2. It would make sense that noise seems a little emphasised, given that.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
baekgaard
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby aureliopenna » 20 Sep 2018, 14:09

ajstan wrote:The recent updates to the NS3 have addressed the click when switching between piano filters and the annoying hiss when using the Bright filter. I would expect that some around here will still not be satisfied, but it was a significant improvement for me. I’m on v1.46.

I agree, it gets a litte better, and I wish they could just, I don't know, adjust/tweak the overall equalization in order to eliminate this hiss, not just lower it down. It's just unacceptable. Never had something even close to that on NS2.
And, again, TO ME, NS2 with full high eq was by far brighter (in right way, not this strange mid/high from NS3) and harmonic overall than NS3.
Last edited by aureliopenna on 20 Sep 2018, 14:09, edited 2 times in total.
aureliopenna

Postby Eldahon » 07 Dec 2019, 00:46

Hello all,

I know it's old but here it is you're not alone !
I'm french and i bought a Nordstage 3 two weeks ago, and i have this problem, when i play with my headphones, i hear this white (pink?) noise, and i try to eliminate this hiss with the EQ of the Stage. I select 8khz mid with the left potentiometer and i try to put the mid down, with -4 -6 db it's more acceptable and if you use the quick option Bright on piano (or others samples) you need to put down again -8db or -10db...

I think it's unacceptable for a keyboard at this price.

If anyone find a solution or have this issue, come here please and we can discuss about it.
Eldahon

Postby craigt » 07 Dec 2019, 01:03

Eldahon wrote:Hello all,

I know it's old but here it is you're not alone !
I'm french and i bought a Nordstage 3 two weeks ago, and i have this problem, when i play with my headphones, i hear this white (pink?) noise, and i try to eliminate this hiss with the EQ of the Stage. I select 8khz mid with the left potentiometer and i try to put the mid down, with -4 -6 db it's more acceptable and if you use the quick option Bright on piano (or others samples) you need to put down again -8db or -10db...

I think it's unacceptable for a keyboard at this price.

If anyone find a solution or have this issue, come here please and we can discuss about it.

Do you have the latest firmware? Not noticing an issue with my new NS3C.
craigt

Postby Eldahon » 07 Dec 2019, 02:32

I'm on v2.22 is it the latest firmware ? I think it is
Last edited by Eldahon on 07 Dec 2019, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Eldahon

Postby craigt » 07 Dec 2019, 03:02

V2.22 is what I’m on. Playing through headphones just now and no noise other than than what comes from the sound engines. You may have a hardware issue?
craigt

Postby Eldahon » 07 Dec 2019, 04:35

Tastenmann wrote:Here the steps to reproduce it:
- Output Gain to maximum, Headphones plugged into headphone output.
- Choose Imperial Grand (2nd Piano in the list). This is the one, where the amount of the noise is remarkable. String resonance on, Pedal noise on, Soft release off
- Press and hold down sustain pedal (I am using the single pedal that was included within the box)
- Repetitively press e.g. Middle C (C4), keeping the sustain Pedal down.

You can hear the background noise increasing the longer you repeat the key strokes. When stopping hitting the key while still having the sustain pedal fully down, you can hear the sound fading out and with it, the noise decrases as well.

Can anybody also reproduce it? Or is it just me and my headphones?
The interesting thing is, that I realized that strange background noise as soon as I started playing the first time right after unboxing. The noise is clearly connected with the key stroke and is cumulated when playing extensively with the sustain pedal down.

Thanks a lot for any replies!

Did you try this ?
It's exactly the same issue for me here...
Last edited by Eldahon on 07 Dec 2019, 04:37, edited 2 times in total.
Eldahon

Postby craigt » 07 Dec 2019, 06:12

I replaced the Imperial Grand with the White Grand. Can’t get that or any other stock piano to do what is described. It just rings like one would expect.
craigt

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum