Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Nord 3P only plays back kick on midi

Postby massbee » 13 Sep 2018, 04:11

Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased the nord 3p. I am able to record midi with the different pads. When I play it back, the only sound that plays is the kick drum (first pad) for every single not on the midi. Even if the note in midi is the 3rd pad it will still trigger the kick drum.

Right now I only have 1 midi cable. I alternate between In & Out to record and then to play back. I didn't realize I needed both during the time of purchase. I'm going to get the other midi cable asap so I can get this working but I'm assuming this is not the reason for the midi triggering only the kick.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem or does anyone have this problem?
massbee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum

Nord 3P only plays back kick on midi

Sponsor

Re: Nord 3P only plays back kick on midi

Postby wartaler » 13 Sep 2018, 08:29

Hi masbee, welcome to the forum!

Perhaps there are more explanations, but maybe your MIDI track does not send the recorded notes on the ‘Global’ MIDI channel, but on the ‘Individual’ MIDI channel that you perhaps set on the channel of the 3p with the kick sound

-The Nord Drum 3p only sends MIDI notes on the global MIDI channel, you want to send the notes back to the 3p on this MIDI channel, check the global channel in the MIDI settings, the factory Global MIDI channel is 10 [GL.10], you can pick a different one if you want. Match the output MIDI channel of your MIDI track with the Global MIDI channel on the 3p.

-I’m assuming you’re recording MIDI on a sequencer app /DAW, the track on your sequencer probably accepts all MIDI channels from the input, the output MIDI channel of your MIDI track is probably not the same as the Global MIDI channel as set on the 3p, but corresponds with the Individual MIDI channel of the channel (pad) with the kick sound on the 3p

Unless you want to control the sound parameters of the 3p with MIDI, it’s best to switch the Individual MIDI channels off - check this setting on all 6 channels of the 3p, it looks like this: [Ch.OF]

Check the manual or perhaps some other posts here if you want more info on the difference between Global and Individual MIDI channels, eg this one: nord-drum-forum-f27/nord-drum-3p-as-sound-module-t15975.html#p105915

Hope this helps,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 13 Sep 2018, 08:48, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby massbee » 13 Sep 2018, 15:32

Thanks for the response Albert. I am using Logic as a DAW. I was reading the manual and it mentioned Global Midi. There are no details about it though..

Where do I go select Global Midi on the Nord ?
massbee

Postby wartaler » 13 Sep 2018, 19:17

Hi,
Press Shift + MIDI repeatedly to go through the different MIDI settings,
-you found the Global MIDI channel when you see [GL.xx] (where xx is the currently set Global MIDI channel, or OF =off) factory setting is [GL.10].
-match this one with the MIDI output channel of your track in Logic,

The Individual MIDI channel can be set for each of the 6 channels of the 3p,
-press Shift + MIDI a couple of times until you see [Ch.xx] (where xx is the set channel or OF =off),
-with the channel select buttons check the Individual MIDI channel for each of the 6 channels..
-never use the same MIDI channel as the Global MIDI channel...
-perhaps best to switch it off on all channels if you’re not going to control parameters with CC

The note numbers are also in the MIDI menu and set per channel, [nt.xx] where xx is the MIDI note number that is sent on the Global MIDI channel when you hit the corresponding pad

Check page 14 and 12 of the manual for more info..

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 14 Sep 2018, 02:22, edited 5 times in total.
wartaler

Postby massbee » 14 Sep 2018, 14:11

So I did what you suggested and it did work. I need to alternate the Global Midi though because it still plays two channels at a time. Depending what pads I'm recording I change the Global Midi - which doesn't really make sense. I'm going to keep trying things and hopefully get it because having to change the Global midi each time makes the process very slow.

Thank you so much for your help
massbee

Postby wartaler » 15 Sep 2018, 09:04

Strange!
The 3p sends and receives on the Global MIDI channel, one track in Logic is enough to record a drum pattern using all 6 channels (sounds). The recorded drum pattern will consist of the 6 notes as set in the MIDI settings on the 3p.

Do you mean that 2 channels of the 3p are triggered when only 1 MIDI note is sent to the 3p?
-If all Individual MIDI channels are off [Ch.OF], the 3p should only ‘listen’ to the Global MIDI channel,
-which of the 6 channels is triggered depends on the MIDI note that is sent to it on the Global MIDI channel

The other thing you should perhaps check is if all MIDI notes, as set on the 3p, are different from each other, eg note 60 for channel 1 [nt.60], note 62 for channel 2 [nt.62] etc.

If the problem still persists I think either Logic is sending more MIDI notes than there are recorded on the track (perhaps check the metronome settings, or MIDI plugins or effects) or your MIDI interface does some weird things,

Albert
wartaler

Return to Nord Drum Forum