Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

The Who - Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland) - Sampled & Tuned

Postby WannitBBBad » 03 Sep 2018, 17:41

REVISED WITH NEW SAMPLES. Great video created by My Keys To Music that helped a bit in approaching this sampled version of the Who song. Note that using these samples requires that you play the song in the original key or the tempo will be wrong.

The original recorded Lowrey was a bit sharp, so I took the Intro and dropped the pitch to be in tune to the piano for the first sample. Audacity and AVS4YOU should be able to change the pitch without changing the tempo, but neither did well with the very short duration samples (1/4 - 2 seconds) I used the first time. Based on the exchange below, I found out from Audacity that the latest version has a checkbox to indicate you want high quality sampling. If you have the same problem with changing the pitch of a sample, try the latest version of Audacity in high quality mode.

The sample with the 32nd notes was created by cutting off the last half of each 16th note (C, D, F, G) and cut-n-pasting the first half again. I don't know the song yet but I play through a few notes on the MP3 so you get an idea of what you have.

The bottom split has "WhoBabaORileyFGW.nsmp3" with the intro pattern on the F key and a pattern on the G key for when the song changes to a C chord. The middle split is the piano. The top split is the second sample "WhoBabaORiley32W.nsmp3" with the 32nd notes. It doesn't matter which sample memory locations you store new samples in your Nord Stage 3, just make sure that after you load the program, that you point the Slot A and Slot B Synth to the correct sample in your system. For example, if you load the "WhoBabaORiley32W.nsmp3" into your sample location 280 (287 in mine), then you just need to point Slot A to 280 rather than 287.

UPDATE 4/6/19. For those new to Stage 3 programming, Marc (My Keys To Music) just posted a new video showing folks how to put together this program at https://youtu.be/pYelOuB-G3w. Thanks Marc! Take care all.

PROGRAM:
WhoBabaORiley W.ns3f
Program - Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland) by The Who
(574 Bytes) Downloaded 1005 times

Don't forget to load both NSMP3 samples attached below

NSMP samples posted here --> nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/baba-o-riley-t2954-10.html#p106851

Programs added by KeyBard covering the 73 Compact using a different split and adding another program for the violin part
LINK --> nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/the-who-baba-o-riley-teenage-wasteland-sampled-t16090-20.html#p129541

90+ Stage 3 Programs and MP3 examples
LINK --> nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/for-those-new-to-programming-t15748.html
Who Baba O'Riley Teenage Wasteland
Attachments
WhoBabaORileyFGW.nsmp3
Sample - 16th notes through Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland) by The Who on F key, pattern for C chord on G key
(648.09 KiB) Downloaded 1206 times
WhoBabaORiley32W.nsmp3
Sample - 32nd notes for intro to Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland) by The Who
(130.84 KiB) Downloaded 1110 times
MP3 - Who Baba ORiley.mp3
MP3 example of Program "WhoBabaORiley W.ns3f" for Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland) by The Who
(634.95 KiB) Downloaded 9211 times
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 06 Mar 2022, 16:19, edited 29 times in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 13 members, including:
RackmountHarpowhatsupdkSteveMAlaskanuluSchorschttangoBuisbirdGiovannaDMichldigitalRnBDogAvantasianBerretje
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

The Who - Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland) - Sampled & Tuned

Sponsor

Re: The Who - Baba O'Riley (Teenage Wasteland) - Sampled & T

Postby gfullick » 15 Sep 2018, 07:16

:yourock:

Absolutely fantastic.

The author gfullick was thanked by:
WannitBBBad
gfullick

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby JohnWatkins » 15 Sep 2018, 13:53

Thanks very much for doing this and offering it up to everyone. I just bought a Stage 3 last week and this song was the only thing stopping me from using it for gigs in place of my Motif. Now if I can just work out the part where the left hand arpeggio changes to a C chord for a couple bars, and set up another program for the end section I'll be all set.

Thanks again.
JohnWatkins

Postby WannitBBBad » 16 Sep 2018, 04:35

JohnWatkins wrote:Thanks very much for doing this and offering it up to everyone. I just bought a Stage 3 last week and this song was the only thing stopping me from using it for gigs in place of my Motif. Now if I can just work out the part where the left hand arpeggio changes to a C chord for a couple bars, and set up another program for the end section I'll be all set.
Thanks again.

Thanks John, I didn't even notice that change in the pattern for the C chord (haven't learned the song yet). My software isn't very good for changes to sample pitch (changing the F notes to G notes) but the sample I added above for the C chord might work for you, especially adding C and E 32nd notes with the right hand too. The sample has the same left hand intro pattern on the F key, plus I added a G(low)->C->G(high)->C pattern on the G key. Take care
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 16 Sep 2018, 05:23, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
JohnWatkins
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Mr_-G- » 16 Sep 2018, 12:12

You can repitch samples in Audacity (free and very good).
Mr_-G-

Postby WannitBBBad » 16 Sep 2018, 16:04

Mr_-G- wrote:You can repitch samples in Audacity (free and very good).
Thank you. I found that Audacity (2.1.0) repitched, however it had a negative effect on the tempo and the sample itself depending upon the size. For example, raising the opening F note (original Wave attached) to a G note shortened the duration and truncated part of the 2nd note. The odd part was that it also slightly shortened the duration of the sample when I lowered the F note to be in tune (approximately) with the piano, which was important trying to line up the beats. I got the same result with AVS4YOU Audio Editor. Based on your message, I did find that if I use a larger sample (the first four patterns played before the 32nd notes), that I have something much better to work with for the individual notes, so this can be improved. I would appreciate a second opinion if you have a chance to load the F note wave. Thanks again!
Attachments
F1 BabaOReily TEST.wav
Wave of starting F notes in Baba O'Riley
(43.67 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 16 Sep 2018, 20:00, edited 3 times in total.
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Mr_-G- » 16 Sep 2018, 17:17

You probably did something wrong. You should be able to repitch without changing the length or the rhythm. Select all the sample, (CTRL A) then go to Effect>Change Pitch
Mr_-G-

Postby WannitBBBad » 16 Sep 2018, 18:14

Mr_-G- wrote:You probably did something wrong. You should be able to repitch without changing the length or the rhythm. Select all the sample, (CTRL A) then go to Effect>Change Pitch
That's what it says, however I opened Audacity, loaded the test wave, CTRL-A to highlight all, clicked EFFECT and selected CHANGE PITCH going from F to G (12.246 percent change). The wave changes in duration from 0.253s to 0.172s - the first 16th note is a little shorter but the second is truncated significantly. As noted, I did find better success with manipulating the full Intro, and found this morning that I can play with the CHANGE TEMPO after the change in pitch to get it to match up with the original wave duration if the manipulated wave otherwise doesn't have any issues (still useless for the truncated wave). Thanks again.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 16 Sep 2018, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Mr_-G- » 16 Sep 2018, 21:45

That is odd. I does not change in length in here. See the attached. Changed from F to G (or so it says in the dialog). Same length as the original you posted at the start of this thread.
Attachments
MP3 - Who Baba ORiley_G.wav
(6.85 MiB) Downloaded 412 times

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
WannitBBBad
Mr_-G-

Postby WannitBBBad » 16 Sep 2018, 22:21

True, I found that Audacity works well for longer wave files, but for some reason the program doesn't do well with short-duration samples. If you try "F1 BabaOReily TEST.wav" (0.253 seconds long) from my earlier response, I think you'd see the same outcome which isn't pretty. Thanks for your help and input - the reposted samples turned out better after taking a deeper dive on this.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 16 Sep 2018, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Next

Return to Nord Stage 3 Programs (*.ns3p files)