General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stuck Low E Key on Stage 3 HP76

Postby samhicksmusic » 14 Sep 2018, 14:18

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has had this problem. After only 3 months of owning my brand new Stage 3, I noticed the low E key was sticking a little bit, then when triggering a sample on it in a gig a few weeks ago, the key got stuck mid gig (see picture) and it feels impossible to get it unstuck.

I bought it from Guitar Guitar (UK) in April and they're telling me that the turnaround time for a repair like this is usually 3 weeks. They can try and expedite it but there's no guarantees. I go on a 6 month tour in one month and I have gigs every week until then! :thumbdown: It's obviously still under warranty and I've only been playing Motown, its not like I'm beating the thing up!!

Has anyone had the same problem and managed to fix it at home? I obviously don't want to put too much force on the key, and break it and void the warranty but going 3 weeks without my main board is kind of out of the question!
samhicksmusic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Stuck Low E Key on Stage 3 HP76

Sponsor

Re: Stuck Low E Key on Stage 3 HP76

Postby ADSRLFO » 14 Sep 2018, 19:01

Try to unscrew a liffle bit the screw on the wood panel next to it ...
ADSRLFO

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby samhicksmusic » 14 Sep 2018, 20:41

ADSRLFO wrote:Try to unscrew a liffle bit the screw on the wood panel next to it ...

Hadn’t thought of that - presumably to try and loosen things so I can try and put the key back in place? I’ll try it once I get my hands on a damn torq screwdriver! Cheers

Super frustrating I have no idea how it’s even wedged under there but it just won’t budge!
samhicksmusic

Postby MartinJ2EX » 17 Sep 2018, 19:03

Have you already been able to fix it? :)
Nord Stage 4 88 | Stage 2 EX 88
Numa Organ 2 | DX7 IIFD | JX-08
SL 61mk3 | opsix | UB-Xa

Live Musician since 2010
> My Website <

Sugar Sharks | Hertha Band
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby samhicksmusic » 18 Sep 2018, 02:27

MartinJ2EX wrote:Have you already been able to fix it? :)

Not yet! I ended up taking it back into Guitar Guitar for them to send off for repair. They’ve quoted me 3 weeks but said no guarantees despite me stressing the importance of needing them for a 5 month tour. One response they gave me was that I should have a backup if I’m a pro muso - this is true but definitely a conclusion I’m entitled to come to and not them! Besides Nords aren’t cheap!

Anyway eventually they agreed to lend me a display model if mine isn’t back in time. A nice offer for functions and rehearsals I have before the tour but not a great idea to take a borrowed keyboard on a 5 month tour. I was told to email the store manager when I got home so I said this... perhaps a bit douchey but hey..

Following my discussion with your colleague Al in store earlier today I’m aware you’ve agreed to lend me a display model Nord Stage 3 from the Epsom store if Sound Technology have not managed to repair and return my keyboard by Thursday 4th October. I appreciate that you are doing what you can to help and have offered this compromise.

Could you please confirm that the model I would be borrowing, if necessary, would be a Nord Stage 3 HP76 - if not could you confirm that you would also be able to provide a gig bag / flightcase to support a different length keyboard?

If by Thursday 11th October the keyboard still hasn’t returned, I then embark on a 5 month tour and would not be comfortable using a borrowed keyboard for fear of any damage it might endure in transit and also the difficulty of returning it before the end of the 5 months. Being without a keyboard in this scenario will lead to significant loss of earnings or expenditure on hire equipment - again something I wouldn’t like to use on a tour like this. In this case I would suggest we discuss the option of replacement or full refund as per the Consumer Rights Act 2015 section 23(2) which states ‘if the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer, and bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).''

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing back with progress of the repair.
samhicksmusic

Postby Tasten-Bert » 18 Sep 2018, 08:37

I would hurry and ask Guitar Guitar whether it has been shipped further or still is in their reach, then hopefully take it back and take it with you on tour. I guess the low E is not one of the most important keys. There will most likely be a good technician somewhere on tour who can have a look at it and fix it. The point of warranty and who is right in the end only wastes time which you don't seem to have. Regards from sunny Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby MartinJ2EX » 18 Sep 2018, 09:22

Had a problem with velocity dynamic on my Stage 2 EX 88 suddenly being far to harsh on one key, high volume with soft touch.. :roll:

Since warranty ran out on July 6, I fixed it myself.
Found out that Nords are really easy to fix down to opening Fatar keybed and cleaning contacts, keys can also be unmounted easily..
Tiny dust particle got stuck in the rubber contact... :lol:
Working fine again...

Nord keyboars are somehow comparable to iPhones when it comes to repairing them... Really awesome :clap:
One more reason to love my Nord :keyboard:
Last edited by MartinJ2EX on 18 Sep 2018, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 4 88 | Stage 2 EX 88
Numa Organ 2 | DX7 IIFD | JX-08
SL 61mk3 | opsix | UB-Xa

Live Musician since 2010
> My Website <

Sugar Sharks | Hertha Band

The author MartinJ2EX was thanked by:
be lee vit
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX