Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Separate output for each split on the Nord Piano 3

Postby mkolt » 13 Sep 2018, 19:12

I often use the Piano 3's split function to obtain a bass sound, in addition to the piano or upper register keyboard sound. And I will frequently cover the bass for the band for an entire show at a time, sometimes with the left hand, sometimes I supplement this with a midi pedal keyboard, which latter has worked admirably well in tandem with the Nord (kudos here). So far, I've run only a single 1/4 inch cord out of the keyboard, which provides a mono signal to the central soundboard. Although it's not been a huge problem, this does not provide the ability for the sound person to adjust volume or EQ separately for the bass and keyboard sections, which would be a plus for them and would probably improve the overall band sound. I know there are two outputs, I'm wondering whether it's possible to have each 1/4 output deliver the signal for each split independently of the other? Does this happen by default when one deactivates the Mono function? The existence of a Mono function at all suggests that something like this might happen, but the manual language is brief and ambiguous on this question. Or is the Mono function simply something that turns off the Pan effects elsewhere on the keyboard control panel? Is there some other way, or something else one needs to do,to get each split to be separately streamed in the two outputs? Or is this simply something the Nord 3 isn't set up to do?
mkolt

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Separate output for each split on the Nord Piano 3

Sponsor

Re: Separate output for each split on the Nord Piano 3

Postby dhbp-nord » 13 Sep 2018, 19:56

Nord Piano is simple stereo out, no options for panning splits or sounds, unless I am mistaken.

DH
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18
-StagePas 400i
-EV ZLX-15BT
dhbp-nord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby baekgaard » 13 Sep 2018, 20:04

The Nord PIano 4 supports two separate output (System Settings Menu 5 out of 7), but the 3 apparently doesn't -- judging from the manual.

I know it doesn't help you much, though -- so this is mainly "for the record".
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby dhbp-nord » 13 Sep 2018, 20:21

Yeah I have NP2, does not support this.

DH
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18
-StagePas 400i
-EV ZLX-15BT
dhbp-nord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby mkolt » 14 Sep 2018, 18:35

Thanks for the replies..... I'm still getting used to everything this keyboard can do, but I'd come to the same conclusion, based on my experimentation so far. It hasn't been an insuperable problem, most keyboard feeds wind up being "all over the place" in terms of timbre, so going with a relatively neutral EQ, and relying on the volume balance knobs on the keyboard itself seems to generally work so far (my sound guys haven't lynched me yet, so far so good). This would however be a selling point for me to upgrade to a piano 4 at some point, glad to know that'll be an option in future.
mkolt

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum