This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Keyboard feel

Postby kmonroe99 » 11 Sep 2018, 22:55

I grew up playing classical piano on an acoustic upright but haven't played for well over ten years. I did very little organ playing back then but always wanted to do more. Now I'm wanting to get back to playing. In the meantime I've developed painful arthritis in my left hand pinkie finger due to an old injury; both hands are definitely weaker in my old age.

So I'm thinking I might do better with a NE6D/5D than with an HP or piano model. I don't gig so I don't need a Stage. I'm thinking the 6D so I can indulge my organ and piano playing. No, I can't try the different models out; no stores anywhere near.

Comments?
Last edited by kmonroe99 on 11 Sep 2018, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
kmonroe99

Keyboard feel

Sponsor

Re: Keyboard feel

Postby ericL » 12 Sep 2018, 00:55

That keyboard action is great for the needs you describe. It is a very smooth and robust action which is easier on the hands than either the HP or HA actions. There is always a tradeoff in that playing piano type sounds from a semi-weighted keyboard takes some getting used to, but is doable. Many folks prefer playing piano from an organ action vs. organ from a piano action.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
kmonroe99
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Rusty Mike » 12 Sep 2018, 03:48

One of the things about the Nord SW action is that it has a pretty strong spring-back. If you're playing piano on it, the keys are not slow to come back up like on a weighted action or real piano. If you're used to playing sensitively it takes some getting used to. On a real piano or weighted action, once you press a key down, it usually does not fight that much to spring back up. The SW action will want to spring back if you keep your fingers down on it and you'll feel that resistance. It's not bad, but it's not something you immediately expect when playing piano.

I would suggest you purchase from a retailer with a good return policy. Just in case.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by:
kmonroe99
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby That1Guy » 12 Sep 2018, 09:12

Ditto on the return policy. I have a NE6 and LOVE it. The store near me did not have a NE6 but had a beat up NE5 which got me hooked. I kept going back to it because of the feel, sounds, and hands on controls. There was just something about it that felt so right. I am among the minority here that prefers the unweighted action over a weighted. It is all a matter of what is good for YOU. Personally, the NE6 has the best action I have ever played and I mostly play piano sounds. I can still sit down and get lost in the feel and sound of this gem. The reduced weight is also a bonus. Good luck.

The author That1Guy was thanked by:
kmonroe99
That1Guy

Postby eibinger » 12 Sep 2018, 10:51

I tested all three kinds of Nord-Keyboard-actions and I decided to buy a 5d/73. As a member of a cover-band, I am not only using piano-sounds. So I found, that the sw-version is the best solution for me. the "hp-version" is a little bit problematic for organ-sounds, but possible.
a little bit strange is, that my Hammond sk1/73 uses the same fatar keys and the feeling is much (much, much) better. I think, they use other springs!
But buying a Nord, my recommendation is: buy a sw-Nord and not a hp.

The author eibinger was thanked by:
kmonroe99
eibinger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby danrv » 12 Sep 2018, 12:15

Rusty Mike wrote:One of the things about the Nord SW action is that it has a pretty strong spring-back. If you're playing piano on it, the keys are not slow to come back up like on a weighted action or real piano. If you're used to playing sensitively it takes some getting used to. On a real piano or weighted action, once you press a key down, it usually does not fight that much to spring back up. The SW action will want to spring back if you keep your fingers down on it and you'll feel that resistance. It's not bad, but it's not something you immediately expect when playing piano.

Totally agree. Not suitable for expressive piano playing.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Postby eibinger » 12 Sep 2018, 13:11

QUOTE: Totally agree. Not suitable for expressive piano playing.

My friend, in every case it is a kind of taste und of the purpose, you use the Nord!
as a "all-in-one-Keyboard", sw is the best solution!
If you want to play expressive, you should add a second board to the sw-version (e.g. studiologic SL) or chose a stage or a piano with HA.
eibinger

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby Rusty Mike » 12 Sep 2018, 15:06

I'm not saying that the SW is "bad" or "good" for anyone. I fully agree that keyboard feel is a personal thing and is going to be based on many factors. It's very subjective to playing style, type of music, context, ability, etc. I merely wanted to point out (as non-biased as possible) one of the characteristics of the SW action that I discovered. The OP made mention of an arthritic finger, and I was only looking to make them aware that the springiness of the SW action might be a factor. It may not be an issue at all, depending on kmonroe99's playing style.

I own a Stage w/ the HP action and an Electro 4d with the SW action. I'm primarily a piano player and prefer the Stage. But I also do a duo gig in small tight places using the Electro. I can play piano fine on it, but it takes a slightly different approach. I personally prefer the SW action for organ and EP sounds.

kmonroe99, you're in the US but I assume you are not in the greater NY/NJ/CT metropolitan area since you say you do not have access to a store with these instruments on display, correct?
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby danrv » 12 Sep 2018, 16:06

eibinger wrote: or chose a stage or a piano with HA.

I would have thought this would be best for the OP having had piano experience before.
It’s a lighter feel than HP but still weighted.
Buying a Nord or any keyboard to indulge organ and piano playing is not easy as the actions are very different.
It depends which style of playing takes priority.
Last edited by danrv on 12 Sep 2018, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Postby harmonizer » 12 Sep 2018, 18:25

I own an Electro 3, SW-73 key model. I have gotten used to it when playing acoustic piano parts, but I am a hack - more of a "keyboard owner" than a "keyboard player". I would say that the Nord SW keyboard is *very* lightweight, noticeably lighter even than an M-Audio 88es (which is a semi-weighted MIDI controller keyboard). The Nord Electro 3 SW-73 is clearly optimized for organ, which is a good thing for my needs. If you have never played on *any* semi-weighted keyboard, and your baseline is an actual acoustic upright piano, this is something to consider.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Next

Return to General Nord Forum