This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: ADDING SAMPLE MEMORY (crazy idea)

Postby Ivan Jochner » 11 Sep 2018, 18:44

analogika wrote:
The Motif XS series has upgradeable RAM, not Flash memory.

Nevermind was it Ram or Flash)), it just accepted extra 1 gig memory as a fact.
And of cause nobody going to "resolder etc" Flash in NORD products, just to give people in Clavia some thoughts that adding 100 mbs extra in Nord Stage 3 is just not enough IMHO ( Using Nord mainly as a piano/ organ stuff)
Patchmaker
Nord Stage 3 Compact /Yamaha Motif XS 7
Yamaha MODX 7 / (past gear) Roland Integra
Ivan Jochner
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby anotherscott » 11 Sep 2018, 18:56

Ivan Jochner wrote:
anotherscott wrote:I think you're talking about something else. No way you can load 1 GB of data in the Nord in 3-4 min.

I was talking about Yamaha Motif Xs

Yup, that's different, Motif XS uses RAM. That's why you can load 1 GB of data in 3-4 min. The Nord doesn't use RAM. Loading 1 GB of data into the kind of flash the Nord uses would take far, far longer. The advantage is, unlike the Motif XS RAM method, you don't have to do it again every time you turn the unit on.
Last edited by anotherscott on 11 Sep 2018, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Postby Quai34 » 11 Sep 2018, 21:01

I've seen such discussion about memory not being enough and people trying to find/suggest a solution since I got my Nord Stage 2: It could also be a simple marketing approach....You decide to change your keyboards every 5/6 years and the extra memory is part of that...Everyone else is proposing you upgraded memory t buy: Mord is proposing you to buy a new keyboard but because it's every 5 or 6 years it's quite acceptable....For a number of customers enough for Clavia to sustain their business...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.

The author Quai34 was thanked by:
Ivan Jochner
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby analogika » 11 Sep 2018, 21:35

anotherscott wrote:
Ivan Jochner wrote:
anotherscott wrote:I think you're talking about something else. No way you can load 1 GB of data in the Nord in 3-4 min.

I was talking about Yamaha Motif Xs

Yup, that's different, Motif XS uses RAM. That's why you can load 1 GB of data into RAM in 3-4 min. The Nord doesn't use RAM. Loading 1 GB of data into the kind of flash the Nord uses would take far, far longer. The advantage is, unlike the Motif XS RAM method, you don't have to do it again every time you turn the unit on.

That's what the Motif XF does, and it is far slower.

Also, as mentioned, a GB of Flash for the XF costs $400 list. That stuff is expensive.
And slots cost money, are a source of faults (every connector is less reliable than a soldered connection), and making a machine upgradeable means that it has to be designed with (user) access in mind. That's a whole slew of design and cost issues. You'd really, really have to want to include that functionality to make it happen.

I'm sure Clavia calculates target prices for devices and then figures what features and capacities they can afford to add on top of the minimum they've decided are must-have.

That's how every other company does it.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
PScooter63
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 11 Sep 2018, 21:39

Quai34 wrote:You decide to change your keyboards every 5/6 years and the extra memory is part of that...Everyone else is proposing you upgraded memory t buy: Mord is proposing you to buy a new keyboard but because it's every 5 or 6 years it's quite acceptable....

If I understand your point, I kind of think it's the opposite. It is *because* Nord keeps their sounds in rewritable memory at all that you don't need to upgrade your keyboards as often as you do with most other brands. If you bought a Nord Stage 10 years ago, you can still load Nord's newest piano sounds into it. If you bought a Korg, Roland, or Yamaha 10 years ago, and you want one of their newer piano sounds, you'd have to buy one of their newer keyboards.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
analogika
anotherscott

Postby Quai34 » 11 Sep 2018, 22:23

Yes, you are right, I express myself the wrong way....You still can load their newer Piano....But your have to delete some....Thus, the little push for you to buy a new one....But I'm not complaining, I lime this approach, I worked for Yamaha in the 80's and every year, it was new, new keys etc....A nightmare for a product manager..
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum