Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 6 FX with Organ/Rotary and Wurli

Postby dave-fen-music » 11 Sep 2018, 03:20

I am new to Nord, coming from a Kurz PC3 and Hammond Sk1. I am considering purchasing a NE6D-73 which looks to have much better A Pianos, EPs than my current boards. I have played the NE6D in the store one time of a few hours, and have listened to a few videos/sound clips, and it sounds very good. One thing I picked up on was that the FX section only allows single source assignment per Effect (except Reverb). So if I want to play Organ with Rotary, then it appears that I couldn't have a Wurli also getting some overdrive to dirty it up. Am I correct here? The Wurli and Rhodes sounds are great in the demo clips, but I am wondering the if they are using the Spkr/Comp effect to add some overdrive, or do some of the EPs already have some overdrive in them?

I guess one option is to use the Output Routing mode to put the Organ on the Right output and run it into my Neo Vent, but I was hoping the NE6D Rotary and FX would allow me to leave my Vent at home.
Last edited by dave-fen-music on 11 Sep 2018, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
dave-fen-music

Electro 6 FX with Organ/Rotary and Wurli

Sponsor

Re: Electro 6 FX with Organ/Rotary and Wurli

Postby baekgaard » 11 Sep 2018, 10:38

dave-fen-music wrote:So if I want to play Organ with Rotary, then it appears that I couldn't have a Wurli also getting some overdrive to dirty it up. Am I correct here?

Yes, that is correct. If you want to have a separate Rotary, then the Nord Stage series gives you that (it has the same sounds, plus a better Synth and way more options -- it is a bit like 2x Nord Electro's at the same time, plus more).

The Wurli and Rhodes sounds are great in the demo clips, but I am wondering the if they are using the Spkr/Comp effect to add some overdrive, or do some of the EPs already have some overdrive in them?

The EP7 and the Wurly 2 are both recorded through and amplifier, and thus have some level of effects baked in. They work quite well without using the speaker sim, in my view.

I guess one option is to use the Output Routing mode to put the Organ on the Right output and run it into my Neo Vent, but I was hoping the NE6D Rotary and FX would allow me to leave my Vent at home.

It is, indeed. If you're planning on playing Wurly with SPKR simulation and Organ with Rotary effect at the same time, then you may need the Vent. But you may be able to get reasonable results using e.g. the Wurly 2 (or the EP7) as they are and use the effects section as Rotary.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
dave-fen-music
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Electro 6 FX with Organ/Rotary and Wurli

Postby dave-fen-music » 12 Sep 2018, 21:35

Thank you. I will check those specific EPs out when I go back to the store to do some more investigation on the NE6. The Stage 3 is probably over my budget, but it does look impressive.
dave-fen-music

Return to Nord Electro Forum