This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Record on Ipad

Postby Trempels » 11 Sep 2018, 08:36

Hi all,
Originally my project is simple. I just want to record what I'm playing with my Nord Stage 3 88 on my Ipad.
I have the Yamaha bluetooth midi adaptator MD-BT01.

I tried with Garageband, it works fine but Garageband can record only is own sound. I want to record the original sound of the Nord and not the sound of Garageband.
I tried with Cubasis2, it's maybe the solution but I don't know this software very well. I'm able to record the sound of the Nord in Cubasis but it can be listen only on the Nord itself thru midi interface, if I want to hear it on the Ipad alone, I must choose an instrument of Cubasis.

Is there any solution to play the record directly on the ipad (without any keyboard connected) and with the original sound. In summary, what are you using to record what you are playing (...without using a PC) ?

Thanks in advance.
Phil
Trempels

Record on Ipad

Sponsor

Re: Record on Ipad

Postby dkernohan » 11 Sep 2018, 09:01

So MIDI is a way of recording information about what notes you play and how long for (think of it as the digital equivalent of sheet music).

What you want to do is record audio. The easiest way is just to set up an audio track on garage band, hit record and play your Nord through a speaker. However, the built in iPad mic is not great.

You can buy better mics to plug in to your iPad, but what you really want is an audio interface - which you plug your Nord into as you would a speaker. There's various ones available, so just choose the one that fits your price and quality needs.

Happy recording!
dkernohan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby Trempels » 11 Sep 2018, 09:22

Thanks for your answer.

Audio interface, that's what I've tried with Jam 96K Apogee and Garageband (always on Ipad). But the result is for me not very good (sometimes noise on the track, difficult to find the good gain). I will also try with Cubasis, to try if it's better.
Trempels

Postby baekgaard » 11 Sep 2018, 10:07

Recording audio should work very similarly on the iPad, independent of what you use to record (Garageband, Cubasis, ...). So if you have noise and difficulties finding a proper gain setting, you need to solve that first -- changing to some other DAW software unfortunately doesn't help.

In general, set your recording interface to line level and your Nord to approximately full output or maybe 3 o'clock on the master output; this will usually give you a good signal that doesn't clip and have ample headroom. You can then use the faders in your DAW software to adjust the final level (as long as you make sure you don't clip the signal on the input).

Your specific Jam 96K Apogee is -- as far as I know -- a mono only device; that is not good. Nord piano sounds will sound much much better in stereo. It is possibly also made for guitar recording, so I'm not sure how well it takes a line-level signal.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Trempels » 11 Sep 2018, 10:21

You say that the software makes no difference recording audio, I'm agree, and as I said I will try with Cubasis. But there is for me a difference recording MIDI (with the instrument of the software). The result with Garageband sizzles a little bit, but is perfect with CuBasis.
You're right Jam 96K is for my guitar, Apogee confirms however the interface works also with keyboards.

What do you recommand as Audio interface for the Nord ?
Thanks.
Trempels

Postby baekgaard » 11 Sep 2018, 10:53

Good that the Apogee works also; it was just that you said above you had extra noise on the signal?

Anyway, I think any stereo interface would work. Not sure which model(s) work best, but there are many out there, including some that also claim to work on iPads. I don't have any personal experience with either, but I guess iRig and Zoom, for instance, have portable models that could suit your needs?
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Trempels » 11 Sep 2018, 12:50

I tested Apogee with Cubasis and the result is much better, no more extra noise like with GarageBand, Cubasis recognizes the jam directly and gain setting is easy.
So I will use Cubasis and record a midi track and an audio track.
Trempels

Postby That1Guy » 12 Sep 2018, 09:18

Glad you got it working. I have an old Lexicon Omega that I use for the iPad (hooked up via the camera connection kit). For interfaces to work on the iPad, they must be class compliant. There are many available, just make sure it is class compliant. Also, many will require their own power as the iPad does not provide that much juice.
That1Guy

Return to General Nord Forum