This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Complement to Nord Stage 3 88HA

Postby MoonMonkey » 09 Sep 2018, 01:28

Hey Folks,

I'm a proud owner of a NS3 88HA. However, I think about a second piano with semi-weighted waterfall keys for the organ parts, but also maybe synth soli. So, since I can control my NS3 via MIDI, I would only need any kind of piano with the desired keys (right?). But when there is another instrument which could even improve my "soundscape" (maybe with nice brass sections etc.) I would invest in such a piano/synth as well. So what is your experience/recommendation/etc...? It doesn't have to be a Nord product, but it of course can be one if it fulfills my needs.

I'm excited to hear your opinion!

Cheers!
MoonMonkey

Complement to Nord Stage 3 88HA

Sponsor

Re: Complement to Nord Stage 3 88HA

Postby maxpiano » 09 Sep 2018, 11:00

If you don’t specify also what kind of music you play and in which context (live band, solo, home recording...) it is hard to give you any meaningful advice... and your budget is important too.

Let’s say that in general any workstation-like keyboard is a good complement, which brand and model depends on the above and your personal tastes.
Last edited by maxpiano on 09 Sep 2018, 11:07, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby MoonMonkey » 09 Sep 2018, 22:46

Ah sorry, my fault.

I play in cover bands (Rock/Pop/Funk from 70s until today) so a good live usage is preferred. Also weight Plays a role for me.
My budget maybe up to 1.5k€ , but if something would fit perfectly this probably not the end. However, something cheaper is preferred. The organ keys have priority over all.

Thanks for your post anyway!
MoonMonkey

Postby anotherscott » 09 Sep 2018, 23:01

Waterfall isn't so important, as long as you avoid hammer (aka fully weighted) actions. Some low cost, lightweight boards that could be used to play the Nord's organs while also supplying some good sounds where Nord isn't so strong (i.e. brass, strings, winds) would be Yamaha MX49/61, Roland DS61.
anotherscott

Postby Tasten-Bert » 10 Sep 2018, 06:51

When you also have Funk tunes in your programme I'd like to add that I love the brass and the clav sounds of my korg X50. So the korg kross 2 could be a good amendment to anotherscott's selection. Furthermore, when you intend to play the organ sounds from an external keyboard I would test and play all the mentioned keys to find the one with the right key feel. Regards from sunny Germany.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby someclevername » 11 Sep 2018, 16:57

In general, I like the combination of Workstation + stage piano, it has been my goto setup for years.

I'm originally a Yamaha guy, so I use a Motif XS7 with my Nord Stage 2, I think they complement each other well. The Motif makes up for the lack of velocity switching in the Stage's sample section. Also, the Motif's synth weighted keys make a nice controller for Organ in Dual KB. (Watch the Yamaha demo videos with Bert Smorenburg, he's awesome and totally sold the XS to me). Only downside with Yamaha workstations, the keys are _slightly_ narrower than standard, so they don't line up perfectly. This seems to bug a lot of reviewers on the internet but has never been a big deal for me.

Other thing I discovered recently, add an extern section on the stage but don't don't let it play any zone. That way you can send the sustain pedal to the extern section. Multiple sustain pedals mess with my head.
someclevername

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano

Postby MoonMonkey » 13 Sep 2018, 09:59

Thank you for all your nice posts. I think I'll head to the next store and will simply try the keyboards as you have suggested it. But it's also good to know which products I should inspect more closely :)
MoonMonkey

Postby JayDee » 17 Sep 2018, 05:37

MoonMonkey, for the use you are describing you may wish to consider a Roland VR 09. They're around $1000 in the US but during sales can be had for around 800 USD and probably around the same in euros https://www.roland.com/global/products/v-combo_vr-09/
JayDee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby maxpiano » 17 Sep 2018, 08:27

MoonMonkey wrote:Thank you for all your nice posts. I think I'll head to the next store and will simply try the keyboards as you have suggested it. But it's also good to know which products I should inspect more closely :)

Yamaha just issued the MODX, scaled down version of the Montage, that’s one of the models to consider, imo.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Mr_-G- » 17 Sep 2018, 20:22

Yep, really really interesting synth (except that has slightly narrower keys?). Makes you wonder how well the Montage sold (my guess is that it did not sell that well).
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to General Nord Forum