Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Using a redundant clonewheel to control an Electro

Postby Rob Millis » 04 Sep 2018, 16:52

Has anybody tried to control the drawbar settings, percussion, blah blah blah of an Electro using a digital clonewheel?

I'm trying to streamline my home studio and due to more being wrong with it than I'm inclined to pay to have fixed, my tatty and trusty but latterly ailing Hammond A100 is going.

I also need a reasonable piano and midi master keyboard for the studio. One idea I've had is to get an E5 HP 73 for this, and wondered about using my redundant (digital/Mk 2) Korg CX3 midi'd up to it, and wonder if it would offer control of the Electro organ section.

Anybody tried this or similar?
Twickenham's wayward son.
Rob Millis
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Using a redundant clonewheel to control an Electro

Sponsor

Re: Using a redundant clonewheel to control an Electro

Postby anotherscott » 04 Sep 2018, 17:41

Check the MIDI implementation charts, but odds are that the MIDI CC being sent by the Korg drawbars are not going to match the ones needed for Nord drawbar control; and neither the Korg nor Nord will allow you to redefine these values. You'd certainly be able to use the CX3 to play the Nord, but you'd havr to use the Nord's own controls for drawbars, percussion, etc.

The CX3 should make a very nice controller for any organ-source that allows you to define its MIDI CC functions, though. i.e. Gemini module, or any of the organ emulations that run on laptops as VSTs.

Also, I suspect an Electro HP is not your best choice as a studio instrument. It was designed for have a lot of functionality in a lightweight board, which is great for giggers, but if you're in a stationery studio setup, you can get better feeling piano keys.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Rob Millis
anotherscott

Re: Using a redundant clonewheel to control an Electro

Postby Rob Millis » 04 Sep 2018, 18:54

anotherscott wrote:Check the MIDI implementation charts, but odds are that the MIDI CC being sent by the Korg drawbars are not going to match the ones needed for Nord drawbar control; and neither the Korg nor Nord will allow you to redefine these values. You'd certainly be able to use the CX3 to play the Nord, but you'd havr to use the Nord's own controls for drawbars, percussion, etc.

The CX3 should make a very nice controller for any organ-source that allows you to define its MIDI CC functions, though. i.e. Gemini module, or any of the organ emulations that run on laptops as VSTs.

Also, I suspect an Electro HP is not your best choice as a studio instrument. It was designed for have a lot of functionality in a lightweight board, which is great for giggers, but if you're in a stationery studio setup, you can get better feeling piano keys.

Thanks! Yes, long in the tooth though they sound, the CX3 remains a classic example of a well-turned out 'dashboard' and truly started the authenticity ball rolling that the Viscount/KeyB organs have only just taken up a notch.

A Gemini is a great idea; it also has me thinking about what a great sonic upgrade I could give the C2D...a VB3 organ with C2D real time layout would be a mighty gigging beast!
Twickenham's wayward son.
Rob Millis
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Electro Forum