General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Speaker positions

Postby peteques » 24 Aug 2018, 22:46

Hi all,
I'm still new to the NS3 (in fact new to keyboards - have always played acoustic piano) and need help making it sound right. I have L&R M audio B8s set up. They sit about a metre high on L&R of Nord pointing inwards towards the player - but it doesnt sound 'right'. When i go and play on my acoustic piano, it sounds so much better even though its battered, bruised and slightly out of tune. Have I wasted my money on the NS3 or has anyone any better thoughts about speaker position etc.
Thanks Pete :crazy:
peteques

Speaker positions

Sponsor

Re: Speaker positions

Postby cphollis » 24 Aug 2018, 23:15

Think about it this way?

When you play an acoustic piano, sound radiates in every direction, bounces around and hits your ears. It's a surrounding sound for the most part.

When you play through a pair of speakers, the sound radiates in a single direction, like a pair of flashlights. You won't get the same listening experience.

The monitors look decent enough. If it were me, I'd experiment with adding a bit of chorus to get some dimensionality back into the sound. Or try a pair of nice headphones to see what's possible. The Royal Grand, in particular, sounds pretty impressive through headphones.

The piano sounds in the NS3 are among the best available in a keyboard, so that's not your issue.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
peteques
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Eumel » 24 Aug 2018, 23:21

Hi,

Imho NO ELECTRONIC PIANO in the world can compete with the sound of a natural instrument. I think this is true for all other electronic instruments (e.g.) drums as well.

Greets

Eumel
Nord Stage 4 88
Nord Electro 6 compact

The author Eumel was thanked by:
peteques
Eumel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby analogika » 24 Aug 2018, 23:56

An electronic instrument will compete more or less well with a RECORDING of an acoustic instrument. That’s the yardstick.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
peteques
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby ajstan » 25 Aug 2018, 01:26

The OP didn’t mention what sound qualities he found lacking, but assuming he has his monitors placed close to a wall, here are some thoughts:

- 8” drivers are probably overkill for how close you have them set up. 5” drivers would be enough and give a tighter sound.

- Monitor placement and interaction with the room play a significant role in sound. Take a look at this article for some tips on positioning monitors: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/studi ... mal-sound/

- How close are your speakers to the wall? Being too close would cause boominess. My JBL 305s have a boundary adjustment so I can roll off some of the bass, but it doesn’t look like your M-Audios have that sort of adjustment. Moving away from the wall (preferably to the center of the room) may be your only option.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Tasten-Bert » 25 Aug 2018, 10:19

Hmm, I get the feeling here are so many details to look at - as the others have already mentioned. In real life I'm a piano player as well and up to now have never achieved to copy the sound of my piano or a good grand in electronical way. It starts with what is the piano sound I like. I can visit the music fair and play this or that instrument, some please me, others not. I have a good sounding Sauter 130 with a full and clear body sound for boogie playing. When I play my nord, the samples of the Boesendorfer Grand or the Yamaha Grand are first thing to choose. Then it comes to finding the best EQ setting of my NE to get it sound right over my standard stereo. And finally, what I always feel as a difference between real and sampled piano, is that I need to change my usage of the sustain pedal. At the real piano it helps me to add style and character, at the nord I have to use it far less not to make the sound 'spongy'. Playing live over large PAs I can say the nord sounds excellent. So you must try try try and you succeed at last ...
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby friendben » 31 Aug 2018, 21:33

Something to keep in mind - When you're sitting, playing the piano, you're not listening to the strings. You're listening to the soundboard which isn't even facing you, so you're listening to the reflections of the soundboard off the walls and floor. The whole room is singing at you, and two point sources (speakers) just cannot compare.
Nord Stage 3 HP76
Nord Wave
Yamaha Disklavier Upright
Dave Smith Mopho
Korg Prophecy
friendben

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby aureliopenna » 01 Sep 2018, 06:41

If it's possible to you, try a Nord Stage 2 with the Royal Grand 3D or some Upright. Just my opinion.
aureliopenna

Return to Nord Stage Forum