This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Moving On?

Postby cphollis » 27 Aug 2018, 02:03

We are all on a journey, and I thought I'd update you on mine?

I'm selling off a bunch of my Nords, and investing in other gear. I have been a 100% Nord guy for oh so long, but now it's time to move on to other boards that are specialized in what I'm interested in.

Have no fear, the Nord pianos still rule my world. Unless I invest in a powerful laptop and expensive software, there's nothing better. And I'm not going there. So Nord pianos will still be a big part of my world.

Organs? Right now, I'm torn between the Hammond XK-5 and the Mojo 61. The Hammond is about twice the cost of the Mojo. I don't expect it to be TWICE as good, but --- ??? One of those is my next organ board.

Synth duties? The NS3 can cover bread and butter all night long, but doesn't bring much that's interesting to the game. I'm looking for fresh sounds, and -- right now -- the Prophet X does it for me. Samples mangled by a serious synth. Bring it on.

Not looking for advice, per se. I know what I'm going to do over the next few months.

The good news? I've sold three Nords in the last two weeks. No problem and great prices. People want these boards.

All good.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Moving On?

Sponsor

Re: Moving On?

Postby cgrafx » 27 Aug 2018, 02:27

Curious why you wouldn't list the viscount solo or legend in that list with the xk5 and the mojo?
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Spider » 27 Aug 2018, 15:37

Nothing wrong with moving on. Nobody signed in blood a lifelong commitment to Nords. And for almost every specific keyboard need, there is usually a specialized board which does it better (except maybe pianos, but still many people don't dig the Nord sound, and there are objectively superior actions out there).

The strength of Nord is in the complete package: having great sounds in a light and VERY user friendly all-in-one package. Even in that arena there is starting to be some serious competition (Vox Continental, Roland VR boards, Kurzweil Forte, the Dexibells...), and there are obvious sectors not covered by Clavia (analog synths, workstations, drum machines, samplers, sequencers etc)

Otherwise, we are blessed with choices, and all the better for it.
Last edited by Spider on 27 Aug 2018, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby DanielD71 » 27 Aug 2018, 16:15

You could try vb3 2 with a laptop. The software have the same organ sound as the Mojo.
I like the organ sound but I would not say that is twice better than Nord.

I still prefer my Vent 2.

Regards,
Daniel
DanielD71

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 27 Aug 2018, 16:20

DanielD71 wrote:You could try vb3 2 with a laptop. The software have the same organ sound as the Mojo.

Or add a Gemini module. Either way, you need a board with drawbars and action you like to drive it, of course. If you don't already have a board that fits that bill, the Mojo61 looks appealing.
anotherscott

Return to General Nord Forum