General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Silver EP Real vs Demo

Postby RobbinBaauw » 21 Aug 2018, 21:31

Hi,

I have bought the Nord stage 3 a while ago, partially because of great sounds in the demo.

Now I'm trying the Silver EP, as shown in the demo here: https://youtu.be/tVBKto6Cfqo?t=4m50s

But when trying it on the Nord it sounds way worse:

Is the demo mixed with lots of effects or am I missing something obvious here, in recreating that sound? It sounds way brighter but at the same time fuller in the demo.

(using OS 1.4.2)
Attachments
SilverEPChRev.mp3
With Chorus and Reverb, as shown in the demo
(284.14 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
SilverEPEmpty.mp3
No effects
(143.51 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
SilverEPEffects.mp3
With the following tweaks: Compression (too much, but it made it sound a bit better), EQ, Chorus 2, Reverb
(299.89 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Last edited by RobbinBaauw on 21 Aug 2018, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
RobbinBaauw

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Silver EP Real vs Demo

Sponsor

Re: Silver EP Real vs Demo

Postby ajstan » 22 Aug 2018, 00:00

This isn’t the same as the video, but here’s a starting point in that general direction:

Make sure you’re in stereo, not mono mode
Piano Select = Layer, Silver EP
Keyboard Touch = 1
Chorus 2, Rate = 5.0, Amount = 4.5
EQ Treble = 8.0, Mid and Low are 0.0
Reverb = Room 2, Amount = 1.5
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby AlexNagel » 22 Aug 2018, 01:01

Your recording sounds weird - what's your recording setup?

I took 5 minutes and tried to recreate what he played - to some degree ;-) Please excuse my sloppy playing, it's past midnight...;-)

Watch on youtube.com

I used "Silver EP small" sample and put some chorus and reverb on it. I recorded the headphone output of my NS3 (OS v1.40) directly into my SONY HDR-MV1 line input. I had "KBD TOUCH" on 1, maybe it should have been 2 or 3 to sound a bit brighter like on the official demo.

Regards, Alex
Last edited by AlexNagel on 22 Aug 2018, 01:04, edited 3 times in total.
AlexNagel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby RobbinBaauw » 23 Aug 2018, 21:26

Thanks for answering!

AlexNagel wrote:Your recording sounds weird - what's your recording setup?

I took 5 minutes and tried to recreate what he played - to some degree ;-) Please excuse my sloppy playing, it's past midnight...;-)

Watch on youtube.com

I used "Silver EP small" sample and put some chorus and reverb on it. I recorded the headphone output of my NS3 (OS v1.40) directly into my SONY HDR-MV1 line input. I had "KBD TOUCH" on 1, maybe it should have been 2 or 3 to sound a bit brighter like on the official demo.

Regards, Alex

I was recording on mono with MONO OUT turned on, on my Focusrite 18i8. I recorded stereo now, with these settings:
ajstan wrote:This isn’t the same as the video, but here’s a starting point in that general direction:

Make sure you’re in stereo, not mono mode
Piano Select = Layer, Silver EP
Keyboard Touch = 1
Chorus 2, Rate = 5.0, Amount = 4.5
EQ Treble = 8.0, Mid and Low are 0.0
Reverb = Room 2, Amount = 1.5

This is the result:

I guess it is a lot better already. Still not 100% happy with all the sounds though, for example the hammond. The quirks I was experiencing as described here: https://www.norduserforum.com/post104472.html are still there. But I was trying to learn to play hammond (I'm so far very inexperienced with that), and I was watching this video to get some settings to get my sounds right: https://youtu.be/L6KNabrMsrg?t=2m10s. The settings he was describing there I used as well, with the following settings:
- Drawbar 088855432
- Drive 2.0, fast
- Chorus 3
- All percussion on
- Rotary 122
- Clean tonewheel
- 50/50 bass/horn balance

This is what I got (excuse my playing...):

This is different than a real Hammond, is there something to be tweaked still or is this the sound the Nord has (or is mine weird?)

Thanks again for answering...
Attachments
SilverEPv2.mp3
(434.33 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
Hammond.mp3
I'm sorry, very sluggish
(600.83 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
RobbinBaauw

Postby harmonizer » 23 Aug 2018, 21:50

Most of the acoustic piano sounds are optimized for stereo, and I would even say they are dependent on stereo. For me, Royal Grand has shown the best sound in mono. But if you have stereo amplification available, by all means use it.

I don't have any useful comments on the Hammond sounds.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby ajstan » 23 Aug 2018, 22:03

RobbinBaauw wrote:I guess it is a lot better already. Still not 100% happy with all the sounds though, for example the hammond. The quirks I was experiencing as described here: https://www.norduserforum.com/post104472.html are still there. But I was trying to learn to play hammond (I'm so far very inexperienced with that), and I was watching this video to get some settings to get my sounds right: https://youtu.be/L6KNabrMsrg?t=2m10s. The settings he was describing there I used as well, with the following settings:
- Drawbar 088855432
- Drive 2.0, fast
- Chorus 3
- All percussion on
- Rotary 122
- Clean tonewheel

This is different than a real Hammond, is there something to be tweaked still or is this the sound the Nord has (or is mine weird?)

Thanks again for answering...

Try the "122 Close" setting for rotary and a 60/40 bass/horn balance (more bass than horn). Turn off the percussion on/soft/off depending upon the sound you want. Experiment with vibrato and chorus too.

Also, check out the "Downloads > B3 Drawbar Settings" from the horizontal navigation bar at the top of the page for ideas on different drawbar settings. Lots of flexibility to create different sounds.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Postby analogika » 24 Aug 2018, 11:21

RobbinBaauw wrote: Still not 100% happy with all the sounds though, for example the hammond. The quirks I was experiencing as described here: https://www.norduserforum.com/post104472.html are still there. But I was trying to learn to play hammond (I'm so far very inexperienced with that), and I was watching this video to get some settings to get my sounds right: https://youtu.be/L6KNabrMsrg?t=2m10s. The settings he was describing there I used as well, with the following settings:
- Drawbar 088855432
- Drive 2.0, fast
- Chorus 3
- All percussion on
- Rotary 122
- Clean tonewheel

I'm not sure why you think that that is different from a real Hammond?

That's exactly what my B-3 would sound like with your settings — except that the Stage 3 is a little too bright in its default setting (I have the Leslie balance set to 70% rotor (bass) / 30% horn (treble) in the "Sound" menu, and that sounds the way I like it).

Note that the example on YouTube is WITHOUT percussion.

Also, there is no “all percussion on” — there is on/off, and everything else is either/or:
—"soft" is the normal percussion setting, while "normal" will drop the volume of the Drawbars to make the percussion pop louder.
—"fast/slow" is a setting for how long the percussion rings out. Fast is the usual setting to give the tone that percussive ping without the percussion dominating the sound.
—"2nd/3rd" is to select which harmonic overtone is used for the percussion sound — the octave above the fundamental tone or the fifth above that.

So saying that you have "all percussion settings on" is a bit confusing. Especially since, as mentioned, the example you’re emulating has percussion switched off.

Also, I’m still hearing your Hammond in mono. Stop doing that. ;)
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
FZiegler
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby RobbinBaauw » 28 Aug 2018, 10:39

Hi all,

Sorry for this late answer, have been busy experimenting.

Thanks for answering! It's starting to sound better, it is just my own ignorance about Hammond it seems like.

(btw, I'm pretty sure the recording was stereo this time around, but I guess it doesn't really matter)
RobbinBaauw

Postby Schorsch » 28 Aug 2018, 12:46

RobbinBaauw wrote:Hi all,

Sorry for this late answer, have been busy experimenting.

Thanks for answering! It's starting to sound better, it is just my own ignorance about Hammond it seems like.

(btw, I'm pretty sure the recording was stereo this time around, but I guess it doesn't really matter)

Hi Robbin, can you tell what you have changed to make it sound better? I am also curious to undestand what you meant by saying "All percussions on" as already refereed to by Analogika?
Last edited by Schorsch on 28 Aug 2018, 12:46, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Return to Nord Stage Forum