All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Skipping the House PA...

Postby cphollis » 03 Aug 2018, 18:25

Good point on gain staging.

If you're thinking about a digital mixer such as the Behringer X-Air (also highly recommended), every muso can adjust their aux monitor feed with a free mobile app. Just remember to get an external router as the built in WiFi is notoriously weak. You also can sneak over to the FOH mix and "adjust" on behalf of the FOH person.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Sponsor

Postby That1Guy » 18 Aug 2018, 06:11

Thank you all for the input. We actually did just that and purchased the Behringer xr18. I am excited to use it here in a week. Yes we will definitely use it with a router. I saw a video on YouTube that demonstrated the difference between the built-in Wi-Fi and an external router. The difference was night and day.
That1Guy

Postby That1Guy » 18 Aug 2018, 06:27

For the gigs that require me to use just an amp, I found out that my church still has the old house PA speakers. They are a pair of JBL 15 the second generation of the G Series. Should be plenty loud enough when fighting against drums and guitar when not plugged in the house.
That1Guy

Postby Quai34 » 18 Aug 2018, 08:00

spradders wrote:hi - I know this sounds really obvious - but also check that your soundman understands the role of Gain on the desk. Sometimes when the keyboard can't be heard I've had the sound guy tell me that the volume is almost at maximum etc ... which it is on the fader/slider, but it's because the gain was set way too low. I generally switch off my monitors at some point in rehearsal so I get an idea of how much keyboard is going through the PA, then adopt a confused look and ask 'How does the keyboard sound out there...?'. Also, if you're increasing your monitor level loud on-stage then the soundman is quite likely to turn it down out front because you seem so loud already; but when the room gets full of people your sound will get lost.
I'm rambling. But I think I'm saying:
- If you're going through the PA for FOH sound, keep your monitors relatively low, or switch them off at some point in rehearsl and check the FOH level. Make sure that you have enough gain on your channel so that the soundman doesn't just look at the fader/slider and decide you must be loud enough.

This happened to me last November. Soundchek guys, classic rock guy who never really mixed keys, even when I was co planning, he pushed me back telling me that I was quite loud enough (my fader at -40db AMD he put me thru two -20db pad just because I gave him a +4dn balcnaced line level that he plugged into the mic Input!!
Then, I was great for me I stage but not the keys player of the band before us....
Then, I toe on "Mknmdance", I switch off my mo it or, continue to play, a oat nothing in PA, then I stopped...Guitarist asked what happens? j said, loud, I won't play anymore as long as I'm not at a proper volume in the PA....If it's to play for not being heard, you don't need me....
Singer repeat hat in his mic....All the crowd turned to the sound guy....He pushed me in immediately....Imwas good, I restarted to play....
He will be mixing again our gig in September at the same venue....Sure, is not my friend but anyway, I will remind him to put me into the PA properly...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby harmonizer » 18 Aug 2018, 14:20

That1Guy, I also have a KC150, which is now my backup amp. I found that the sound of acoustic piano notes around the note "G" which is about 1.5 octaves above middle C is incredibly harsh. This led to me purchasing a powered speaker (I got an Electrovoice zx-a1 because of its low weight, but I have also read praise from many on QSC).
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby NightSkyStudio » 18 Aug 2018, 20:19

I used my Bose L1 Model II with B2 sub for my keys at my last gig. Absolutely the best sound I've ever had. Everyone in the band and the audience could hear me perfectly. And the L1 is known for projecting the sound through the space with little decrease in volume.

They are a bit pricey, so you might want to check out the JBL One or One Pro.
Thanks,
Tom

Nord Stage 2, Rev B. OS 2.24, Yamaha MOXF6
NightSkyStudio

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby cphollis » 18 Aug 2018, 21:34

I'l agree, the $2700 Bose L1 Model II with the B2 sub module sounds *GREAT* for all keys, including APs. I had one for a while, and really liked it. The only reason I sold it was that I started playing with louder bands, and it just couldn't keep up.

Not the situation here, but you can get a lot of decent amplification that will solve OP's FOH challenge for less than $2700.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby That1Guy » 18 Aug 2018, 22:59

harmonizer wrote:That1Guy, I also have a KC150, which is now my backup amp. I found that the sound of acoustic piano notes around the note "G" which is about 1.5 octaves above middle C is incredibly harsh. This led to me purchasing a powered speaker (I got an Electrovoice zx-a1 because of its low weight, but I have also read praise from many on QSC).

Funny, I can't recreate that on a G. Mine gets a harsh sound on a high D though. Still love that little amp though. Maybe it's more sentimental, but even if I do get something larger, I'm still gonna keep it around as a backup.
That1Guy

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification