General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

"Multi"-Layer Samples on Nord

Postby NordBoy » 09 Aug 2018, 22:48

Just figured out something interesting (if not overly practical). It is possible to create a "multi" (read: 2) layered sample with the following steps:

1. Activate the synths on both panels A and B at the same time
2. Load the sample for the first velocity layer on panel A and the second on panel B
3. Turn the Nord's local midi control off
4. Set panel A to respond to channel 1 and B to 2
4. Using your choice of midi software, route any notes of a certain velocity or lower (say 63 and below) to channel 1 and any notes higher to channel 2

Again, not that practical but still interesting.
NordBoy
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

"Multi"-Layer Samples on Nord

Sponsor

Re: "Multi"-Layer Samples on Nord

Postby ajstan » 09 Aug 2018, 23:40

That's really creative @NordBoy. You can also use the Mod Envelope to modify the Osc Ctrl and Filter Cutoff Freq to change the sound based upon velocity.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 10 Aug 2018, 02:59

NordBoy wrote:Again, not that practical but still interesting.

Yup, also discussed at nord-stage-forum-f3/touch-sensativity-on-samples-t13131.html
anotherscott

Postby jazzundso » 11 Aug 2018, 02:08

Nice.

But in the end still not interesting. Clavia should really start making an open sample format or a sample editor that allows to load multi samples into the Nord Stage / Electro / Piano etc. It's 2018 now and one-layer-samples was ~ 1985. Clavia should realize that we want to load our own rhodes / piano / dx piano / brass / string / what ever sound into the nord keyboards without too much compromises. That means: Multiple samples per key for different velocities. Possibility for round robin samples. Release samples (important for rhodes, clavinet, harpsichords).

Everybody needs that at some point. But most people don't know.
Nord Stage 2, Nord Lead 3, Moog Sub37, Yamaha MoXF 6, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49, Yamaha CP-33, Eventide TimeFactor
https://soundcloud.com/jazzundso -- http://recording.de -- http://jazzundso.de
jazzundso

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby maxpiano » 11 Aug 2018, 07:56

jazzundso wrote:Nice.

But in the end still not interesting. Clavia should really start making an open sample format or a sample editor that allows to load multi samples into the Nord Stage / Electro / Piano etc. It's 2018 now and one-layer-samples was ~ 1985. Clavia should realize that we want to load our own rhodes / piano / dx piano / brass / string / what ever sound into the nord keyboards without too much compromises. That means: Multiple samples per key for different velocities. Possibility for round robin samples. Release samples (important for rhodes, clavinet, harpsichords).

Everybody needs that at some point. But most people don't know.

What you describe is a different instrument, then, more a workstation than what the NS is designed to be, so far...
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 Aug 2018, 07:59, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Mr_-G- » 11 Aug 2018, 10:19

Why? the multi sample playing engine is already there! They need to provide a multi sample editor, which they must have, of course, otherwise how do they construct npno files?
Last edited by Mr_-G- on 11 Aug 2018, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_-G-

Postby Mr_-G- » 11 Aug 2018, 10:21

What is exactly the advantage of not letting anybody else construct npno files?
Mr_-G-

Postby fieldflower » 11 Aug 2018, 10:48

Mr_-G- wrote:Why? the multi sample playing engine is already there! They need to provide a multi sample editor, which they must have, of course, otherwise how do they construct npno files?

Mr_-G- wrote:What is exactly the advantage of not letting anybody else construct npno files?

My suspicion: Very well thought through product evolution plans where memory additions, new functions, sample versions and edit possibilities are laid out over time and model evolutions so to get the most buck back from every added bang.
I cannot see any other explanation for some of the functions that would be super simple to "SW add" to existing models, but are not.
This in combination with a very non-active customer contact approach where there is no place to discuss functions and get reasons back why this or that is or isn't doable.

In my professional role (product pricing, but not in any music related business) it makes me all warm and tingly inside because they seem to succeed in making a lot of bucks for not that many bangs, and most customers are still devoted and pony up the bucks for the next model because they added just a couple of new things.
But as a customer it doesn't make me that happy... If I would try this approach on my "day job customers" they'd tell me to go to... well, someplace warm and unpleasant and we'd be out of business.

Don't get me wrong - I love the sounds and useability of my Nord. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
But in this day and age I expect more customer attentiveness from a manufacturer of such a high cost and high reputation brand.
Zoom, Presonus and others make me a lot happier post-purchase than Clavia does, by improving my purchased product with each firmware update.
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Schorsch » 11 Aug 2018, 12:13

It’s not easy to keep the balance right between continuous revenue streams from new products (which is essential for a company to survive and support future developments) and continuous support of existing/old products to fulfill the wishes of existing customers and keep them happy (which is usually expected to be free of charge because it’s “just” software). One way of making sure that support and new development of functions for existing products contributes to the profit and therefore survival of the company is to make this a service which customers pay for. I’m in software business and our customers pay a yearly fee for maintenance and update services for the software, thus making sure that fixing of errors as well as implementation of new functions are provided timely.

So one question to all of you: who of you is willing to pay a yearly fee and in turn will get the right to participate in future updates with new functionality for your existing product?
Last edited by Schorsch on 11 Aug 2018, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
dmamfmgm
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby fieldflower » 11 Aug 2018, 13:05

Hervshahn wrote:It’s not easy to keep the balance right between continuous revenue streams from new products (which is essential for a company to survive and support future developments) and continuous support of existing/old products to fulfill the wishes of existing customers and keep them happy (which is usually expected to be free of charge because it’s “just” software). One way of making sure that support and new development of functions for existing products contributes to the profit and therefore survival of the company is to make this a service which customers pay for. I’m in software business and our customers pay a yearly fee for maintenance and update services for the software, thus making sure that fixing of errors as well as implementation of new functions are provided timely.

So one question to all of you: who of you would be willing to pay a yearly fee and in turn will get the right to participate in future updates with new:added functionality your existing product?

I guess I seriously derailed the thread. Sorry for that. :oops:
Maybe we should make a dedicated thread (which I assume there are similar already...)
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum