General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Impressions ns3 synth section

Postby macco00 » 20 Jul 2018, 23:11

I wanted to say that the ns3 synth has a less analog basic tone than the ns2 (basic waveforms). seeing is believing
macco00

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Copia » 21 Jul 2018, 13:39

I struggled with the weak synth section in the Ns2. I couldn’t get really hard synth sounds like EDM out of it. The A1 perfects this. I’m continually amazed at how my A1 sounds like albums I’m imitating. So when the NS3 put in the A1 synth engine I was thrilled. I think it’s amazing, so much more powerful and more versatile than its predecessor. I do put drive on some of my hardest sounds.
Copia

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Copia » 21 Jul 2018, 13:42

I wouldn’t say it’s super analog sounding though, but I haven’t thought that of any Nords. Interested that some think NS3 is less analog than the NS2.
Copia

Postby analogika » 21 Jul 2018, 14:13

What is “super analogue sounding”?

It has its own character, like a Matrix 6 vs. a Memorymoog vs. a PolySix vs. an MKS-70.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby macco00 » 21 Jul 2018, 15:34

the analog sound is a warm enveloping sound. imperfect if you want but warm. the ns3 has firmw classic waves too digital so too perfect that it removes the heat from the sound
macco00

Postby Mr_-G- » 21 Jul 2018, 16:04

Yes, but what is "super analogue"?
Mr_-G-

Postby Copia » 21 Jul 2018, 19:40

Look, I love the NS3. I have the Compact and 88. I advocated for the synth section above. I also have a Nord Lead A1 and a Nord Lead 4. They’re great synths. They sound more modern and digital to me (but I respect others’ ears as well). I like that. “Super” is an unnecessary adverb modifying the word analog. If I want an analog sound, I play my Moog Sub 37, Moog Mini-Moog Model D, Moog Minotaur (which I sometimes use in the extern section of the NS3), or DSI Prophet 6. That’s what I mean by analog.

Didn’t mean to piss anyone off. Maybe I’m not as good at tweeking the sounds out of the Nord as the rest of you. But I love it for its modern synth EDM leads and arps (which I create myself, as well as some synth square or saw bass) and use other synths for the fattest, squelchiest sounds I want. This synth gets a lot of that sound, way closer than the NS2. But I don’t buy Nord for that, specifically, even though it’s a great virtual analog instrument. I love the sound, and I think it’s light years beyond the NS2 and it’s my favorite digital stage piano ever. I sent back the RD-2000 to switch to it exclusively and bought one for home and one for gigs.

The author Copia was thanked by:
tkzic
Copia

Postby jazzystu » 07 Aug 2018, 18:00

Bjosko wrote:Perhaps try to add some drive in the synth section and use the Unison. Also a tiny bit of drive in the Amp/EQ effect section and some EQ can made a big different. I can make thundering bass or screaming leads with minimal effort on a single layer.

I got a Behringer Model D (MiniMoog copy) a couple of days ago. Hands down, 3 osillators and the great replica of the Ladder filter make a difference, but with a little bit work, I can get a lot of the same on my NS3 or A1.

I have no experience with the NS2, I came from the NS Classic, but I can’t see why the NS3 can make it worse than NS2 ?
In my opinion, however, there was done a little more work in the factory programs in my old NS, compared to the new NS3.

That's interesting. I had a Minimoog D and I hated it. It sounded incredible, but the pitch bend wheel was not sprung (SN-470) the notes were "low priority" (hold 2 notes, lower one sounds) which requires a totally different trill technique. It sounded epic, but would for no reason at all just throw a random "spazz" with pitches....like sample and hold when it felt like it. I am of the opinion the synth on my EX88 is as good, or better. I like the layout of the moog and if I could have high note priority, or new note priority, it could be very very good indeed.
jazzystu

Postby analogika » 07 Aug 2018, 20:06

Lowest-note priority is the way those things are built. Not many options back in 1970. ;-)

Like any synthesiser, a Mini requires its own technique. The non-sprung pitch wheel is classic, and the machine basically defined what a synthesiser even is, and how it should work.

I do prefer spring-loaded pitch wheels, but no classic moog ever had one.

The random howling on certain notes is dirt on the key contacts. They need cleaning occasionally.

I’ve recently had the entire keyboard refurbished on one of my minis, and it’s turned a machine that I always loved to hear but hated playing into an absolute rocking joy.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum