All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Best home sound setup for casual AP NP3

Postby pianokid1 » 06 Aug 2018, 03:01

I am going to have an NP3 in my small apartment for casual, mostly AP playing. I will usually use headphones, but occasionally I will play with other people (acoustic guitar, singing mostly). For this situation, am I correct in thinking I just need a set of stereo speakers (and not monitors/amps/anything else)? If so, could anyone recommend a good model?

I'm new to all of this sound stuff so I'd appreciate any general guidance in this area.
pianokid1

Best home sound setup for casual AP NP3

Sponsor

Re: Best home sound setup for casual AP NP3

Postby Schorsch » 06 Aug 2018, 08:52

Hi, you would need amplified speakers with line inputs, not just stereo speakers which you usually connect to, let’s say, a HIFI amplifier. I am using a pair of Yamaha MS202 II for such purpose if I don’t have anything else available, not with the NP3 but with other Stage pianos and with my NS3C. Sound is not the very best one but works ok. You may also look for near field monitors like the Yamaha HS8 or Tannoy Reveal 802
Last edited by Schorsch on 06 Aug 2018, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
pianokid1
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby fieldflower » 06 Aug 2018, 10:19

If You have a quality stereo in the same room that has free inputs (not RIAA for vinyl) you could connect to that (probably with the use of some adapters).
Depending on the quality of the stereo it may not give the desired result, but it may be worth a try as it's very cheap to test.
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby JayDee » 06 Aug 2018, 18:51

A pair of small powered monitor speakers would fit the bill. QSC 8's get a lot of love here, but you needn't spend that kind of money. I'm happy with my Yamaha DBR speakers and those are cheaper (especially with the frequent 20% discount sales at the discount on line store I often use) and adequate. Alto's are cheap and OK as well for your purposes IMHO. Additionally, those would support vocals also, but may want to add a small mixer which can be had for as little as $100. As mentioned a pair of near field monitors would work, I have Yamaha HS 8's, but those are mainly for recording and the powered monitors are more versatile...you could actually do a gig if needed with those and would work better in a 'jam' situation with multiple musicians.
Last edited by JayDee on 06 Aug 2018, 19:03, edited 4 times in total.
JayDee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby ajstan » 06 Aug 2018, 20:34

APs (and really anything from my NS3) sound great through a pair of JBL 305p MKII monitors. Only $298 MAP for a pair and they put out plenty of volume and bass. They sound very good at lower volumes too. Get a pair of stands and some decoupling foam pads and you’re set for use in your apartment.

If you are looking for portable amplification for playing in public you should look along he lines of the QSC K.2 series or other portable PA gear. They won’t sound as good in your apartment as near field monitors, but they will do OK.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer

The author ajstan was thanked by:
pianokid1
ajstan

Postby pianokid1 » 07 Aug 2018, 01:48

@ajstan Those JBL monitors look like they fit the bill. As for cables to connect them to the keyboard, I have this: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-HPP-010X2-Stereo-Interconnect-Dual/dp/B004NCYLV0 -- will that work or do I need something different?
pianokid1

Postby ajstan » 07 Aug 2018, 03:24

Yes, those cables will work.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer

The author ajstan was thanked by:
pianokid1
ajstan

Return to Accessories and Amplification