This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Nord Piano 3 (HA88) Action

Postby pianokid1 » 05 Aug 2018, 18:50

I am interested in buying a Nord keyboard for casual home use, and have been considering the Piano 3. I was able to try out a Stage 3 and thought it was just about perfect. However, I definitely don't need all the extras that the NS3 brings over the NP3, as I will generally just be using acoustic piano sounds anyway. In order to feel comfortable buying a NP3, I would ideally like to know what it feels like to play one. I'm interested in hearing about comparisons between the NS3 and NP3 actions and how it feels to play the keys, since I know what it feels like to play a NS3 and, as I said, it feels pretty much exactly what I would want my keyboard to feel like. I have read that the NP3 has a heavier action than the NS3, which concerns me. Any observations on this topic would be much appreciated.

As another reference, I tried the Roland RD-2000 and thought that it was a bit heavy for my tastes.

As a side note, why are there so few Nords on display in the NYC area? Every store that does carry Nords only has the NS3 on display and maybe an electro.
Last edited by pianokid1 on 05 Aug 2018, 21:09, edited 2 times in total.
pianokid1

Nord Piano 3 (HA88) Action

Sponsor

Re: Nord Piano 3 Action

Postby anotherscott » 05 Aug 2018, 19:16

I have not played the NP3. But I thought that the NP2 felt better for piano than the NS2, and I suspect the same would hold true for comparing the NP3 to the NS3 (88). I also found the RD2000 to be too heavy feeling.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
pianokid1
anotherscott

Re: Nord Piano 3 Action

Postby pianokid1 » 05 Aug 2018, 20:41

anotherscott wrote:I have not played the NP3. But I thought that the NP2 felt better for piano than the NS2, and I suspect the same would hold true for comparing the NP3 to the NS3 (88). I also found the RD2000 to be too heavy feeling.

Can you elaborate on what about the NP2 "felt better for piano" than the NS2?
pianokid1

Re: Nord Piano 3 (HA88) Action

Postby cphollis » 05 Aug 2018, 23:05

The Nord Stage 2 and 3 have an aftertouch strip below the keybed. When you fully depress a key, it can feel a little squishy. The Nord Piano 2 and 3 have no aftertouch strip below the keybed, so when you fully depress a key, you get a hard stop, just like on a real piano.

I had both the Nord Piano 2 and Stage 2 for a while. While both were acceptable for AP work, I did prefer the Nord Piano 2. Still have it.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
pianokid1
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby baekgaard » 05 Aug 2018, 23:28

The NS and NP series are optimized a bit differently. The actions are quite similar (rumor has it that they are both Fatar TP/40), but they are NOT identical. The NS series has aftertouch (as pointed out by @cphollis), whereas the NP series (3 and 4, at least) have a triple-sensor (instead of dual-sensor) configuration for each key. This makes for a change when you play repeated notes without lifting your finger fully.

Some of us perceive the NP series to be slightly heavier; it requires a slightly stronger touch to get the same sound out. This is good for piano playing; there is good control of the softer end of the scale, and if you really dig into it, it also responds well. But it isn't excessively hard to play at all.

Nord does not publish specs of the components used, but some have claimed here the NS has the medium-weighted version and the NP the heavy weighed version of the TP/40. But the perceived differences could also be caused by slightly different curves (which you can adjust also on both).

I like both actions, and you generally adjust rather quickly to them and learn how they respond to your playing. My guess is that if you like the NS, you will also like the NP. If you only played the NS once, it may be that you don't even think about/notice any major difference to the NP series. And if you choose KBD TOUCH 2 instead of 1 on the NP, they are in reality probably very similar to play.

I'm not familar with the RD2000, but I have also a RD-700NX. I used to like it a lot, but now I like the Nord keyboards (NS and NP) better. They are less tiresome to play for extended periods, and they offer at least equally good control (and of course much better a- and e-piano sounds). The RD-700NX has a hard landing and even if it is meant to mimic a grand (with the escapement), I find it a bit too "hard" to play. And for e-pianos, there is no competition; the RD-700NX looses by a large margin.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
pianokid1
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby pianokid1 » 06 Aug 2018, 01:42

Great, it sounds like I have nothing to worry about then :)

Thanks!
pianokid1

Postby kirsty » 06 Aug 2018, 01:48

The FATAR action on the NS models is a lot nicer to play than the Roland stuff which is definitely on the heavy side and used to give me hand fatigue. Never had such problems on the Nord boards or my previous Kurzweil which was also a FATAR keybed.

If you liked the Stage 3 then i think you will find the NP is not that much different :)

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507

The author kirsty was thanked by:
pianokid1
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to General Nord Forum