All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Does anybody use Yamaha DXR10 active speakers

Postby danrv » 02 Jul 2018, 01:07

That’s ok. PMT didn’t do QSC when I bought my Yammies a few years back so couldn’t compare. Would’ve taken even longer to decide anyway! It was really between the DXR10s and the Yamaha StagePas 600i system.
Enjoy your K10.2s.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Postby kirsty » 02 Jul 2018, 01:19

danrv wrote:That’s ok. PMT didn’t do QSC when I bought my Yammies a few years back so couldn’t compare. Would’ve taken even longer to decide anyway! It was really between the DXR10s and the Yamaha StagePas 600i system.

You made a good choice with the DXR's. (I used to have the 600i Stagepas)
The DXR's are much more powerful and sound tons better :)

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby danrv » 02 Jul 2018, 21:22

kirsty wrote:You made a good choice with the DXR's. (I used to have the 600i Stagepas)
The DXR's are much more powerful and sound tons better :)

Thanks. Yes the StagePas is good as an all in one mixer and PA but the onboard DSP, crossover technology and power of the DXRs is worth the extra.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby kirsty » 27 Jul 2018, 22:49

Macko wrote:Thanks for that danrv. I made a choice today though. I went over to pmtonline at Nottingham again today and we set up a Yamaha DXR10 speaker and a QSC K2.10 and played a Nord Electro 6 HP through it. It was difficult to tell which one was giving the better sound. The Yamaha was perhaps a nice natural sound, the QSC seemed punchier, probably a lot louder. However I ended up buying a pair of QSC K2.10 s. Brought them home and set them up up for a bit of low level domestic listening in my house in stereo and was happy with the result. I'll request the use of the small concert hall at our local club in a few days and drag them out there to see how they sound on my own recently bought Nord Electro 6 HP. I'm working on doing a gig with a girl singer who likes Billie Holiday songs so I'll take her along with me. I think most pianos sound rough in stereo. When I play with some local swing bands - as a trumpet player - the piano always has this banging quality about it and of course they always play in mono probably because they haven't got any roadies to help them with the lifting. Cheers for now. Macko

How are you finding your new QSC's? Any good? :)

K

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Macko » 31 Jul 2018, 01:20

Kirsty, sorry I was a bit slow answering. I took the QSCs along to the small (empty) concert hall where we have a jazz club and played the Nord Electro 6HP thru them.

I also took a singer along and connected her microphone via a Boss VE-20 vocal processor (just to add a bit of echo) to each speaker using the stereo output of the VE-20 because the idea was to rehearse some tunes we are probably going to do together at a gig. I was happy with the sound. Nothing evil was happening and it still sounded like a nice piano and her voice wasn't lost. I didn't feel the need to change anything like increase the bass or the treble, the default settings on the speaker control panels were fine.

I fixed the speakers to my 35mm speaker stands. There is no locking mechanism to stop the speaker from turning or from falling off when it is sitting on the pole like there is on a slightly larger pa speaker I have got.

Thing is I didn't need to turn the volume up much because I wasn't competing with any more instruments so I suppose I still don't know what happens if you turn it up loud. I just set the switches and dials on the back of the QSCs to the default positions and this seemed to work and sound ok.

It may be difficult to change settings when the speakers are used as floor monitors because the control panel on the back will be facing slightly down so it would probably be difficult to change things, not made any easier by the fact that there is an LED display and small buttons to press to do the fiddly settings. They're not too heavy or awkward to carry and are well protected by the QSC speaker carrying bags they gave me as part of the deal. The bags were free because they are designed to fit the earlier model of the QSC speakers so they must be getting rid of them before they bring out some new ones which they will most likely charge for.

I don't know when I will be taking them out next. I use an old Roland FP9 at home and that's got built in speakers. If I think of anything more constructive I'll write some more, cheers for now Macko.

The author Macko was thanked by:
kirsty
Macko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification