Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

How do these people get this sound quality on the NP3

Postby Sprenzy » 24 Jul 2018, 17:14

here is my raw recording https://vocaroo.com/i/s0GgXoos4pSP on audacity no editing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12exsew7zLM&t=268s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpmfiI53jZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6fshQ4NXc4

I listen to all three and they all sound way better

I'm using a UR22 and a patch cable (not just only one lying around, probably cheap one)

can anyone help me get to the level of recording quality of those three videos?

it certainly sound way better on head phones, maybe I can record from the headphone jack? then I wouldn't be able to hear anything
Last edited by Sprenzy on 24 Jul 2018, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
Sprenzy

How do these people get this sound quality on the NP3

Sponsor

Re: How do these people get this sound quality on the NP3

Postby Mr_-G- » 24 Jul 2018, 18:45

Are you recording in stereo? If not, you should try it.
If in stereo, are you panning the L and R channels fully in opposite directions? If not, you should.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby SteveNordP3 » 24 Jul 2018, 18:48

Ah yes - there’s lots of delicious ear candy to be found in signal processing with high-end direct boxes and pre-amps. Search my note on the piano shoot out - there are details on the signal path they used to make the recordings (which they even screwed up with one of the Nord samples but it still sounded 1000 times better than every other sample - and sadly - anything I get out of mine because I don’t have another $2K to spend on deliciousness :-) ).
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby Sprenzy » 24 Jul 2018, 19:32

Mr_-G- wrote:Are you recording in stereo? If not, you should try it.
If in stereo, are you panning the L and R channels fully in opposite directions? If not, you should.

I'm not sure for the OBS (I don't know if I'm recording in stereo or not cause I cannot see if it's two waves) but on audacity I can. I'll post it quick for you

EDIT: so this is it https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Qi7I0yI5o1 but with 4.7 reverb hall

let me know if you don't want reverb, I'll make another recording
Last edited by Sprenzy on 24 Jul 2018, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.
Sprenzy

Postby Sprenzy » 24 Jul 2018, 19:39

SteveNordP3 wrote:Ah yes - there’s lots of delicious ear candy to be found in signal processing with high-end direct boxes and pre-amps. Search my note on the piano shoot out - there are details on the signal path they used to make the recordings (which they even screwed up with one of the Nord samples but it still sounded 1000 times better than every other sample - and sadly - anything I get out of mine because I don’t have another $2K to spend on deliciousness :-) ).

sorry I don't quite understand what you are saying. single processing? direct box? preamp?

I on'y have an audio interface which is the UR22

how exactly do I make it sound "1000" better?
Sprenzy

Postby Mr_-G- » 24 Jul 2018, 20:36

It sounds a mono recording to me... try recording in stereo, 2 cables going in to your L and R channels. Record each channel in a different track and pan them in full opposite directions.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby baekgaard » 24 Jul 2018, 21:15

Yes, it sure sounds like a mono recording -- and the second one, with too much reverb, is also mono, as far as I can tell.

First thing to do is to record in stereo -- as Mr G also points out. If you connected two cables, and recorded two different tracks, it may be as simple as just panning them left and right. Otherwise, you could make a stereo recording in Audacity if you select a stereo input on the UR22 (or however it works; I don't have a UR22).

If you invest 20.000 USD more in equipment, you can probably make a better recording -- but you should be able to get a very decent recording nonetheless with what you have.

But you may have to adjust not only the mount of reverb (as you started doing), but also consider which piano sample you play and record, and whether it is one of the XL ones or something else. And you may have to adjust your sympathetic resonance to your liking, and possibly give it a little EQ here and there to tweak the piano you choose. And then, select a KBD TOUCH curve that suits you.

Some of the ones recorded by others (which you link to) sounds a little hard played to me; if that is what you desire, consider playing the Silver. If you want more body than string, the Velvet is probably the extreme. The Royal can be made to sound in many different ways, depending on how you play it and how you EQ it.

Which sample did you record? And which sample did the others use (if they told you)?
Last edited by baekgaard on 24 Jul 2018, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby SteveNordP3 » 24 Jul 2018, 23:35

Sprenzy wrote:
SteveNordP3 wrote:Ah yes - there’s lots of delicious ear candy to be found in signal processing with high-end direct boxes and pre-amps. Search my note on the piano shoot out - there are details on the signal path they used to make the recordings (which they even screwed up with one of the Nord samples but it still sounded 1000 times better than every other sample - and sadly - anything I get out of mine because I don’t have another $2K to spend on deliciousness :-) ).

sorry I don't quite understand what you are saying. single processing? direct box? preamp?

I on'y have an audio interface which is the UR22

how exactly do I make it sound "1000" better?

Well - it can be complicated. Some of the advice you’ve received already is a very good start (recording in stereo instead of mono, “sweeten” things a bit with equalization etc.).

That’s your first step.

You can explore more for the future here: https://ledgernote.com/columns/studio-r ... ng-studio/

I wouldn’t let that get in your way for now though! Have fun!
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum