All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Roland (not what you think)

Postby cfaniani » 13 Jul 2018, 19:47

Greetings - I'm a proud NS3 owner. My last KB was a Yamaha C4 and I played it through various configs of Roland KC 150, 350, and 550 depending on the size of the gig. So for the Nord purchase, I figured I'd need to upgrade my amplification (especially after reading all the bad press that the KCs get). Tried DXR, QSR, EVOX J8. Lucas Nano 600... Of course the ultimate test drive is with the AP sounds. They all either sounded hollow, uneven/inconsistent, or didn't handle the upper mids smoothly -lacking definition in the two octaves below middle C. A friend brought over a couple of JBL studio monitors and they were perfect (but that's another post). I know this next statement will surprise you but the best option is using the Roland KC350 and connecting the KC 150 with the stereo link. Channel 1 for the 350 and Channel 2 for the 150. Bass EQ at 9 o'clock, mid at 1030 with the shape witch on. the Still looking... Any ideas?
Thanks
cfaniani

Roland (not what you think)

Sponsor

Re: Roland (not what you think)

Postby cphollis » 13 Jul 2018, 22:37

What's your use case? Home studio / living room? Small acoustic gigs? Loud electric band with full PA?
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby cfaniani » 13 Jul 2018, 23:54

Small acoustic gigs with guitar, trumpet and big 3-part harmony. No drummer just some percussion. Lots of jazzish stuff but also funk and soul - stevie, chaka, aretha, JB, Al Green. Sounds weird but it's very creative. I'm responsible for bass and most of the harmonic material. Restaurants, wineries, medium size patios and house concerts. Occasionally a ballroom gig for special events.
I knew this post would probably draw you out. I've seen many of your quite prolific posts. I appreciate your insight and candor coupled with knowledge - a great resource for those of us starting this journey. Thank you for that. In fact, I PM'd you 2 days ago but I think it might not have sent. Got an error message - maybe that's best since it was long-winded. Also, I did try the SS3 awhile back but it was when I was playing a Yami C4. I love the concept but not the outcome. I might consider it again with a little reinforcement around it - sub or other. Saw your RCF recommendation but $2K each is a bit high for me. Priorities: tone, weight, footprint. Stereo is a MUST. You've heard the story many times I'm sure.
cfaniani

Postby cphollis » 14 Jul 2018, 01:00

Hey @cfaniani

Ah, at least I don't have to go through all the basics? :)

Hmmm, nothing obvious springs to mind, just different approaches.

If the idea of a pair of self-powered PAs on poles appeals to you (as it does me for many gigs), my favorite go-to recommendation is a pair of QSC K8.2s or similar. Great AP sounds, plenty of power (you can use them for FOH for the type of gigs you do), and decent bass response. Maybe 80-85% of what the RCF TT08-a units do for a fraction of the price. In that club would be the EVs, the DXRs, etc.

If the idea of filling the room with great, crystal non-directional sound appeals to you (and it's a small or irregular room), that's where line array poles do really well. I was sharing my experiences with Kirsty a while back with the Bose L1 Model II. Even though I'm a stereo guy like you, I didn't miss it much. Just the thing for creating a warm, enveloping and engaging sound at moderate volumes. Really, really tasty ear candy.

The SSv3 still gets used, but I only can get to "OK" with the AP sounds. Unless I bring something like a QSC or RCF to cover the all-important upper ranges. And then I'm back to two pieces, but it fills the room perhaps better than a pair of self-powered PA units.

Tone: get the APs right, and all will follow.
Weight: I'm OK with multiple smaller pieces.
Footprint: yeah, cramming into a small space is a must for a lot of what I do.
Stereo: I prefer it, but willing to compromise in the face of other factors.

Given what you've said, I'd encourage you to start by finding a Bose L1 Model II. No, it's not stereo, but it would float your boat in every other dimension. Nothing else I've found really fills a room quite so well with compelling, accurate sound, including the SSv3. Until things get loud, and then it crumbles.

After that, I'd suggest that you check out a pair of QSC K8.2s (or similar) sitting on short poles. It's a directional sound, and you need a bit more space on stage, but real sonic giants for the money.

If you're concerned about stage space, I'd point you at the SS CPSv3 with the main speaker facing the floor, and something like a QSC K8.2 on top. Nice room fill, accurate sound, and less than the Bose L1 Model II above. I don't need a sub for what I do most of the time, but your situation might be different.

And, after that, we enter the world of more expensive solutions ...
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
cfaniani
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby harmonizer » 14 Jul 2018, 03:19

I used a Roland KC150 as my main keyboard amp for about 8 years. I still have it - it is now my backup amp. Its shortcomings are the main reason I upgraded to an Electrovoice zx-a1. Suggestion: play that G which is about 1.5 octaves above middle C, and play it for a while, on a song that has "chucka-chucka" repetition like China Grove. Then tell us if you still like how the KC-150 sounds. On my KC-150, that "G" and its neighbors were painful.

When evaluating the quality of Nord AP sounds, consider that most of them sound better in stereo. So it possible that playing a Nord AP sound through a pair of Roland amps might sound better than playing through a single non-Roland amp.

I suggest you consider either a pair of Electrovoice zx-a1 (I own one), or a pair of QSC speakers. I have not tried the QSC speakers, but many have praised them.

The Roland keyboard amps are reliable gear, but I would not be able to stand playing AP sounds through my KC-150 again.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby cfaniani » 14 Jul 2018, 08:40

harmonizer - you are exactly right about that G. It's dinky. I try to stay away from it. I will check out the EVs.
Thanks
cfaniani

Postby Quai34 » 14 Jul 2018, 09:50

Right in the spot for the comment with the example of China Groove "Chuka - Chuka", I know very well what you mean....And yes, I was using the JC Roland years ago as my main Keys Amps but it was with a strings machine (Crumar...) and a synth, Yamaha CS15, I never played AP at that time back in the day on it....So, my first Digital Piano was played through Tannoy Monitor, I still have them (Well, in France...).
On a side note, I've read all the posts about PA/Monitor etc, read all the posts on Chuck's Blog and I still like a lot ANY post about sound and amplification....Well, maybe I'm addicted to it....
Last edited by Quai34 on 14 Jul 2018, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby cfaniani » 14 Jul 2018, 23:07

the qsc 8.2 and the boss L1. First verdict: def need stereo. Only question that remains is do I need a sub. Solution: took home 2 qsc 10.2 for a little more bass. May go back for the 8.2s and a small sub. Suggestions on a compact sub? Will report back soon...
cfaniani

Postby cfaniani » 15 Jul 2018, 07:54

Anyone have experience with JBL Pro series? Or the best JBL powered speakers for the NS3? Seems like 8s or 10s would be best with a compact sub? Advice? Thx
cfaniani

Postby danrv » 15 Jul 2018, 18:55

cfaniani wrote: Suggestions on a compact sub? Will report back soon

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/active-subwo ... gKKnfD_BwE

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/active-subwo ... gLV9_D_BwE

Maybe use the RCF sub with a pair of RCF HD10s. The 702 is very light and compact for a sub.
Only one set of inputs but if only for the Stage 3, it may be ok.
I used to have a Roland KC350 and still have a KC150 but have upgraded to a pair of Yamaha DXR10s. These cover everything for live keyboard use. I use them mainly for stereo monitoring as I put keys through our PA.
Compact, bags of headroom, 3 sets of inputs, stereo link and great sound.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Next

Return to Accessories and Amplification