General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Important bug ns3 last os

Postby macco00 » 13 Jul 2018, 23:51

once the program has been memorized, the volumes of the synth piano organ sections are not memorized in the position during the deliveries, but they follow the position of the pedal at that moment.
macco00

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Important bug ns3 last os

Sponsor

Re: Important bug ns3 last os

Postby analogika » 14 Jul 2018, 00:23

That’s not a bug; that’s how the Stage works. (It was the same on the Stage 2.)
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby macco00 » 14 Jul 2018, 00:34

no in ns2 I save the program with the volumes I want with morph assign on the pedal and the next time I'm presented again as they were saved and not based on the position of the pedal that can 'be different
macco00

Postby baekgaard » 14 Jul 2018, 00:50

So you mean that on your NS2, if you save e.g. an organ with the pedal down when you recall it again while the pedal is up, then it still plays at full volume?

That is not how I would like my NS3 to work... I would surely want the programs to reflect the current position of the pedal/wheel, not how they were saved.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby CountFosco » 14 Jul 2018, 07:00

Electro owner here. On the Electro the gain setting is stored per program as you describe - is that what you mean? That's an important function for balancing patch to patch levels.

Edit after reread. Regarding morphing, I think the A1 behaves like you describe the S2. At moment of patch change, control pedal position is irrelevant. When you change pedal position, it then snaps to current pedal value.
Last edited by CountFosco on 14 Jul 2018, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby macco00 » 14 Jul 2018, 15:35

Yes. Of course
macco00

Postby MartinJ2EX » 14 Jul 2018, 15:44

I think it's more like a bug in NS2...

I often load a patch, the pedal or mod wheel is in eg the middle, when I turn it there's an uneven volume/morph/parameter change, because the S2 often (or always? I'm not sure) doesn't check what position the pedal / mod wheel is at the moment...

I always remind myself to reset the pedal and mod wheel to zero, because that's what I build my patches upon.. :)
Last edited by MartinJ2EX on 14 Jul 2018, 15:45, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Stage 4 88 | Stage 2 EX 88
Numa Organ 2 | DX7 IIFD | JX-08
SL 61mk3 | opsix | UB-Xa

Live Musician since 2010
> My Website <

Sugar Sharks | Hertha Band

The author MartinJ2EX was thanked by:
baekgaard
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby CountFosco » 14 Jul 2018, 17:26

But what should the patch do? Initialise to the pedal position or the morph wheel position? No guarantee they are the same or at zero when the patch is chosen. In my case there are patches where I use the wheel for morphing (eg RH solo), and some where I use the pedal for morphing (eg pads). I'm often faced with that situation of unknown pedal/wheel position when I change to the patch. And how does the patch know whether I'm going to use the wheel or the pedal to morph it? I guess my instinct is to wiggle the relevant controller before I start playing. But I think it makes sense to initialise to the saved state, then only take the current wheel or pedal position when one of them is moved.
CountFosco

Postby baekgaard » 14 Jul 2018, 21:28

CountFosco wrote:But what should the patch do? Initialise to the pedal position or the morph wheel position?

On the NS3 (at least), you need to be explicit about morphing: You target either the wheel, pedal or (aftertouch) to whatever settings you want it to morph.

So are you talking about having programs where you select multiple controllers for the same parameter? For me, that would be a somewhat rare situation...

But in that case, it would be somewhat random what value would win, and jumps are difficult to avoid, since multiple controllers will rarely be at the same setting -- but it could be decided by e.g. aftertouch > pedal > wheel or some such rule. But there can easily be "noise" in the readings, so a controller (i.e. pedal) value may fluctuate slightly, and at any given random time cause a jump in the value...
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby CountFosco » 14 Jul 2018, 21:38

Sorry, I have an A1, not a Stage, I thought they were similar. On the A1, there are two morph controllers. The first is "Wheel/Pedal". The second is "Velocity". I didn't realise the Stage separated Wheel and Pedal. My bad, butting out!
CountFosco

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum