This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Upgrading gear

Postby Grokz » 12 Jul 2018, 14:21

Hey all,

Since 2011 I'm the proud owner of a Nord Electro 3HP. I immediately fell in love with the brand since I first tried it out in the store.
But now I want to upgrade my gear. Not because I really have to (thanks Nord sample library), but because I want to :angel: .

Because it's quite an investment I would like to ask some feedback.

Something about how the Nord is going to be used:
I'm in a coverband. I made a lot of sounds on my computer so I will always bring a midi controller and my computer to a show. Some sounds that I made are the leads from artists/bands like Avicii, Swedish House Mafia, Zedd, Alan Walker, Walk The Moon, Muse and Radiohead.
I use the Nord for it's piano and organ sound.
I also use the Nord at home as a midi controller to record some minimalistic piano tracks and some soundtracks.

My first doubt is whether I would go for the HP edition. I like the HP keys but I like the portability of the non-HP versions as well.

My second doubt is whether I would go for the Nord Stage 3 (HA/HP/compact) or for the Nord Electro 6 in combination with the Nord Lead A1.
In the last scenario I would use the Lead to recreate the sounds I made on my computer.

Hope to get some new insights. Thanks!

Grokz
Grokz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Upgrading gear

Sponsor

Re: Upgrading gear

Postby thegentile » 12 Jul 2018, 19:48

HP vs. SW is preference... what do you like? the weight difference is ~5 lbs on the electro and stage.

as far as stage vs. electro, do you need a synth or no? do you have the A1 already? if so would you rather have one unit or two? the primary different between the electro and stage is the synth... there are other differences, but this is the biggest.

The author thegentile was thanked by:
Grokz
thegentile

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby anotherscott » 12 Jul 2018, 20:03

The Nord Lead A1 has some advantages over the synth in the NS3, but I think the NS3 synth has more advantages over the A1... check nord-stage-forum-f3/nord-stage-synth-functionality-a1-t15568.html

One advantage to an NLA1-NE6 combo over an NS3 is that you can kind of get both actions, the HP in the NE6 and a synth action in the NLA1. But overall, I'd take the NS3 which, even apart from the synth, also has numerous other advantages over the NE6... see post100275.html

If you want both kinds of actions, personally, I'd be inclined to pair the NS3 with something else entirely, I'd look for something that has the kinds of multi-velocity "rompler" sounds that Nord is weaker at (strings, brass, winds, etc.), especially if you're considering not always keeping the computer in the rig. There are lots of possibilities there, with either action, and they don't have to be expensive. Yamaha MX or MOXF, Roland Juno DS, Kurzweil Artis 7 or or SP6.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Grokz
anotherscott

Postby LudovicVDP » 13 Jul 2018, 08:07

There are a lot of possibilities... At the end of the day it only comes down to what you prefer.

If you still plan on bringing a computer and a midi keyboard on stage anyway, I could already ask you why you want a second board? Why not let the computer do everything? That's how I started. Ableton Live (can be anything else of course), some good VST and a midi controller or two, limiteless possibilities.

If, like me, at some point you feel like you want to get rid of the computer or minimize its use on stage, you can either complement it with a good keyboard, replace it with a good keyboard or replace it with more than one keyboard.

In the first case, which is yours at this stage, I would think the Electro is more than enough. Synth covered by the computer, piano, organs, ep, etc. covered by the Electro.
In the second case, I would go with a Nord Stage (I did ! :keyboard2: ). It's the Swiss-knife you're looking for. Synth is very capable and you can load all your home-made sounds in it.
In the third case, everything is possible. Stage + A1? Electro + NL4? C2D+A1+Prophet+Moog+Nord Piano+ ... you get my point. :mrgreen:

It's your choice (and your budget of course). Computer vs instrument? Waterfall vs piano keys? Having to move one keyboard only or half a truck full of gears everytime you go on rehearsal and gigs (if it's twice a week believe me that's a serious thing to take into consideration). The level of GAS you suffer at the moment plays a role (sometimes, there is no need of a rational reason to buy some new gear :D ).

So... a long answer to bring you no actual answer... There is no right or wrong answer I think. Go with whatever floats your boat :keyboard:

The author LudovicVDP was thanked by:
Grokz
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby baekgaard » 13 Jul 2018, 09:06

LudovicVDP wrote:If you still plan on bringing a computer and a midi keyboard on stage anyway, I could already ask you why you want a second board?

Waterfall vs piano keys?

Well, I guess you partly answered your own rhetorical question -- for some of us, a computer keyboard is not really a replacement for a musical keyboard :-)

If the OP plays both piano, synth and organ, a lot can be said for having two boards; one with weighted keys and one with synth/organ keys. So in the Nord world, it could be a Nord Piano (which arguably have the best piano keys, since that is what it is squarely aimed for) and a Nord Stage 73 with SW keys. Apart from the cost fact, and also taking into account the weight factor, one may want to go for a lighter option. The best single-board compromise is probably a Nord Stage 3 HP76, which does it all and has both pitch bend, mod wheel and aftertouch. Or if the OP is not doing a lot of piano work, then maybe the Nord Stage 3 73 would do the trick. If there is no need for a synth, an Electro is also a good option -- I would in that case probably go for the Electro 6 76HP first, and then consider adding a Nord Lead later on. But if the OP has the Electro 3 76HP currently and is happy with it, then why not add the synth first (and keep the 3)? Or maybe even go for a Stage 3 73SW and also keep the 3 for the HP keys.

Too many options :-)

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
Grokz
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby LudovicVDP » 13 Jul 2018, 09:12

baekgaard wrote:Too many options :-)

This sums it up :)
Last edited by LudovicVDP on 13 Jul 2018, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Tasten-Bert » 13 Jul 2018, 10:37

Hi, I've just taken a bit of time and listened to some youtube clips of all the bands you mention. By the way, nice programme for your band, when you once gig in Germany, let me know. To the question: I would definitely go for two keyboards as to have maximal flexibility on stage. One would be a nord electro 5D 73 - I think no need for weighted keys - and the second one would be a good synth and pad supplier. Both MIDI-connected still increases the flexibility. I don't like setups too complicated, therefore no notebooks on stage. Just real playing stuff. Good luck and sunny regards from Germany.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by:
Grokz
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Grokz » 13 Jul 2018, 11:55

Very solid advice. Thank you all for that.

LudovicVDP wrote:everything is possible. Stage + A1? Electro + NL4? C2D+A1+Prophet+Moog+Nord Piano+ ... you get my point. :mrgreen:

I think this really is the case. That last suggestion really is my dream setup! But, like you said in your post: portability plays a role and we rehearse every week :)

baekgaard wrote:The best single-board compromise is probably a Nord Stage 3 HP76, which does it all and has both pitch bend, mod wheel and aftertouch.

Really like this suggestion as well!

Tasten-Bert wrote:when you once gig in Germany, let me know. To the question: I would definitely go for two keyboards as to have maximal flexibility on stage. One would be a nord electro 5D 73 - I think no need for weighted keys - and the second one would be a good synth and pad supplier. Both MIDI-connected still increases the flexibility. I don't like setups too complicated, therefore no notebooks on stage. Just real playing stuff. Good luck and sunny regards from Germany.

Will certainly do that. And I love the idea of playing without a computer, I have a pretty good one, but I'm always scared that it will crash. So 2 keyboards is a very good option as well.

As you guys said, the bottomline is: there isn't really a best option. Only the option that I like the best. I'm going to try the HP keys vs. the waterfall keys tonight in my local store. I hope that will provide some clarity as well.
Grokz

Postby Grokz » 14 Jul 2018, 19:24

I wanted you to know I went for the Nord Stage 3 HP. Bought it today and I'm like the happiest guy ever right now :D

The author Grokz was thanked by:
Tasten-Bert
Grokz

Postby baekgaard » 14 Jul 2018, 21:18

Congrats, Grokz! I'm sure you will get many happy hours of music playing the NS3 HP :-)
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Next

Return to General Nord Forum