General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Midi Control Change Nord Stage 3 to Jupiter 50

Postby drainomap » 13 Jul 2018, 02:13

Hi boys...a question pleasure..
I'm not very practical with midi connections between two synths, in my case I have a Nord Stage 3 and a Jupiter 50 Roland, and I'd like to be able to change my songs simultaneously in Jupiter, but through my North, so when I change Song in the North can also change in Jupiter, thanks
drainomap

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Midi Control Change Nord Stage 3 to Jupiter 50

Sponsor

Re: Midi Control Change Nord Stage 3 to Jupiter 50

Postby maxpiano » 13 Jul 2018, 08:28

You need to send Program Changes and Bank Select CCs (MSB, LSB), Extern Section on NS3 is there for you to do that... read the Nord Stage MIDI Tutorial (see Downloads section) for details but basically you have to

1) connect the NS3 MIDI OUT to Jup50 MIDI IN

2) Enable the Extern Section and set it to “no zone” (so that it will not send notes but only controls)

3) set the Extern MIDI Channel to match the Jup’s Global Channel and then set the desired PC, MSB and LSB in the Extern parameters (check Jupiter 50 manuals to see the PC, MSB and LSB required for each of its programs)

of course steps 2-3 must be repeated for every Program which you need to send data to the Jup.
Last edited by maxpiano on 13 Jul 2018, 09:04, edited 4 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
drainomap
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby anotherscott » 13 Jul 2018, 15:39

Basically right, but a little more complicated. The Roland doesn't have a Global channel. It has 4 possible MIDI receive channels for receiving Program Change, which you can specify in its menus. One is used to change the main sound ("Upper" part), another is used to change the "Solo" part (an optional single sound that can be played above the main sound), another is used to change the "Perc/Lower" part (another single sound that can be played below the main sound), and another is used to change Registrations (saved sets of Upper, Solo, and Perc/Lower parts where the Upper Part can also be a Live Set that, itself, can consist of up to 4 split and layered sounds). So you'll have to choose which channel to send to in your EXT depending on which of these things you want to change on the Roland (Registration probably the most common). You'll also want to either set up the Roland so that none of its 4 MIDI receive channels are the same as the Nord's global channel (default 1), or go into the Nord's system settings and turn off sending Program Changes on the global channel.
Last edited by anotherscott on 13 Jul 2018, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
drainomap
anotherscott

Postby drainomap » 14 Jul 2018, 02:19

ok, I in fact I only use Registration ... but entering specifically, then in Registration Control Channel, I have of default 16 of number, but do not change anything, maybe there's some other value that need to change
drainomap

Return to Nord Stage Forum