General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord 3 External Control And Song/Program Mode

Postby srcohiba11 » 12 Jul 2018, 03:20

Just received the Nord Stage 3 compact today and it's an impressive unit. It appears that with the external module I can have it set particular program changes on my external synth. A few questions:

1) is it possible to have it make the program changes in the Song Mode, so say, my Song 1 will specifically change to program number 11 on my Kurzweil or
2) Do I have to program the external program change inside the actual program (i.e., in program mode);

Thirdly, I could not find in the manual a midi program channel list for the internal programs/banks in the Stage 3 in the event I want an ipad or computer to change the program numbers on the Stage 3 and my other externals.

This is my first Nord so excuse my naivete.

thanks

Michael
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Yamaha CP 73
Yamaha ModX7

Old Stuff in Storage:
Yamaha DX 7-II FD
Emu Proteus
srcohiba11

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Nord 3 External Control And Song/Program Mode

Sponsor

Re: Nord 3 External Control And Song/Program Mode

Postby anotherscott » 12 Jul 2018, 04:14

Question 2, yes, Programs are the only place to store EXT settings.

Question 1, yes you can do it in Song Mode, because all Song Modes does is give you an alternate way to call up Programs.
anotherscott

Postby srcohiba11 » 12 Jul 2018, 04:41

anotherscott wrote:Question 2, yes, Programs are the only place to store EXT settings.

Question 1, yes you can do it in Song Mode, because all Song Modes does is give you an alternate way to call up Programs.

I know in song mode you have multiple patches assigned to that song, but I may not want a secondary patch switch within a song send a program change to the external. Will have to play with it.

thanks.
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Yamaha CP 73
Yamaha ModX7

Old Stuff in Storage:
Yamaha DX 7-II FD
Emu Proteus
srcohiba11

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby anotherscott » 12 Jul 2018, 05:09

srcohiba11 wrote:I know in song mode you have multiple patches assigned to that song, but I may not want a secondary patch switch within a song send a program change to the external.

Song mode allows you to assign multiple programs to a song. If you want a given program to sometimes send an external program changes, but other times not, you'll need to make two copies of that program, one with the EXT program change and the other without, and use the one you want in a given song depending on whether you want to send the change or not.
anotherscott

Postby DJKeys » 12 Jul 2018, 19:44

srcohiba11 wrote:
anotherscott wrote:Question 2, yes, Programs are the only place to store EXT settings.

I know in song mode you have multiple patches assigned to that song, but I may not want a secondary patch switch within a song send a program change to the external. Will have to play with it.

thanks.

Then you can just turn off the Extern settings for the additional patches within that song, change them to an unused midi channel, or make the settings identical, lots of ways to accomplish this.

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator