Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Sample/Synth Monophonic?

Postby pegman » 07 Jul 2018, 20:26

Hello,

I am new to the Nord Electro 6 and to this Forum. My question is if there is a way to play the Sample Synth Monophonic (Only one note at a time).
I would need this to layer Piano etc. with the Sample Synth so it´s Playing for Example only the highest pitch.
Thank you
peg
pegman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Sample/Synth Monophonic?

Sponsor

Re: Sample/Synth Monophonic?

Postby baekgaard » 07 Jul 2018, 20:39

I'm afraid that is not possible on the Electro series.

The Stage series have both mono- and legato-modes, although it's not possible to have it play the upper note only, I think.

The best way around this is to have a split and play the monophonic voice with one hand and then comp with the other hand (chords, bass or shell voicings).
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby pegman » 10 Jul 2018, 05:54

Ok thanks for your reply. That´s really sad :(
I still like my electro tho.
But I think such a feature could be implemented through the sample editor, no?
pegman

Postby baekgaard » 10 Jul 2018, 09:02

This is a function of the sample player (i.e. what is inside your Electro); it is not an attribute of the sample itself, so it is not something that can be done by a special "trick" in the sample editor. As the Stage series is capable of playing in mono and legato modes, that function (normal mono/legato mode) is someting that Nord obviously knows how to implement. But even if it could have been implemented in the Electro series, it is not a function that is included in the Electro series, and as there are also no buttons to select/deselect this mode it's quite unlikely to be implemented in the Electro 6.

In addition, your suggestion of having only the highest pitched note play is not how it normally works; it is usually the last note played that sounds. I'm not arguing that it could not be implemented like you suggest, it's just that it's not how it works currently on the Stage.
baekgaard

Postby anotherscott » 10 Jul 2018, 16:23

baekgaard wrote:In addition, your suggestion of having only the highest pitched note play is not how it normally works; it is usually the last note played that sounds.

Actually, originally on actual analog monophonic synths, they would play only the highest note, or only the lowest note, depending on how they designed it. The ability to detect most-recent note came later, possibly not until the digital era. Many digital mono synths are switchable among bottom, top, or most recent note priority.
anotherscott

Postby baekgaard » 10 Jul 2018, 23:26

anotherscott wrote:
baekgaard wrote:In addition, your suggestion of having only the highest pitched note play is not how it normally works; it is usually the last note played that sounds.

Actually, originally on actual analog monophonic synths, they would play only the highest note, or only the lowest note, depending on how they designed it. The ability to detect most-recent note came later, possibly not until the digital era. Many digital mono synths are switchable among bottom, top, or most recent note priority.

Valid point!

I should have been more specific; by "normally" I meant on the Stage series (and I think also the A1?) in the Nord world since this was the context of the discussion.

Thanks for pointing it out :-)
baekgaard

Return to Nord Electro Forum