Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord Rack weak/thin sound

Postby hanshans » 08 Jul 2018, 14:51

Hi everyone!

My first post here, so please be kind. I recently bought my first Nord synth, Nord Rack (1) that is in extremely fine condition. No expansion, but still seems very capable. However, I'm still trying to get more familiar with it and there are things I haven't been able to figure out. So here's my (most likely very stupid) question:
Unless I use unison mode, the sound level is very weak and overally the sound is very very thin. I have to crank both master level and gain all the way up to hear at least some sound. However, the problem with that is that I'm afraid of accidentally turning on unison or changing to a program where it's enabled, because the sound level would just blow out my speakers and ears.

So in short, why is the sound level of non-unison mode only a fraction of that in unison enabled? The sound is also significantly weaker than in unison, even if I make up the exact same multiple octave chords that come out in unison mode. I guess I must be doing something wrong.. :crazy:
hanshans

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Nord Rack weak/thin sound

Sponsor

Re: Nord Rack weak/thin sound

Postby cambe » 13 Jul 2018, 04:58

I had the same problem with my Nord wave. This is not normal. With me, I was using a headphone and with the chorus turned off the sound was like 20%. Put chorus on and boom, 100%. It was very annoying.

The problem was on the connector jack of the headphone. I switched for another headphone and voi lá, It was normal.

Try using your lead 1 with the line output or change your headphone. If it is still odd, then the problem is in your Nord outputs. That could be a nice easy fix nonetheless.

Anyway, swap the headphones, it can be simple as that. I don't know how the rooting is of chorus in the wave of unison in the lead 1. But this very very odd problem I had was just the headphone not properly connecting. Try playing with the headphone jack halfway in, in my case it would sound normal untill I swapped phones.

Best of luck,
Gabriel
cambe
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby cambe » 13 Jul 2018, 05:02

Also, welcome to the Nord family.
I'm fairly new here also.
Hope everything turns out ok and you can enjoy your Nord.
It is supposed to sound awesome!
cambe
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby hanshans » 14 Jul 2018, 07:53

Yay, thanks to your reply I was able to solve the problem! I didn't think myself that it could be about the jacks. However I decided to give a try and made a small change. Originally I had the output (two 6,3mm mono jacks) from Nord Rack going to a single 3,5mm stereo jack, that I had plugged in my audio interface with a 3,5mm to 6,3mm stereo adapter. I changed the stereo adapter to a mono one (as that was all I had available) and now it works flawlessly! Thanks so much! :thumbup:
hanshans

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum