General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Only 2 panels?

Postby Wooltah » 07 Jul 2018, 20:47

Hey everybody, i just got a nord stage 3 com, and i have a question. I am trying to have multiple synth sounds split across the keyboard. Ex. I want a funky synth bass on the gar left, a warm pad in the middle, and a lead sound on the far right. I know you can easily have 2 synth sounds by using the two panels at the same time, but how do you accomplish 3 sounds?
Wooltah

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Only 2 panels?

Sponsor

Re: Only 2 panels?

Postby Keynord » 07 Jul 2018, 21:04

No, the typical feature of nord stage keyboards is just two panels, each with possibility to host max. 3 different engines - organ, piano and synth. But the extern section with synth module could help, low-cost second hand one, for example old, but still capable Roland JV1010, XV2020 etc.
Last edited by Keynord on 07 Jul 2018, 21:08, edited 2 times in total.
Keynord

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Postby anotherscott » 08 Jul 2018, 00:59

Right, you can get additional sounds using EXT. If you happen to already have an iPhone/iPad, that can be about the least expensive way to do it.
anotherscott

Postby hughhalf » 08 Jul 2018, 06:05

This isn't a full solution, but I wonder if you might be able to get a decent enough "funky bass sound" by using the piano engine for the bass part and treating the daylights out of either an electric piano or clav (or layer/combination) with effects/auto wah ?

Isn't giving you an extra synth engine, but might get you close enough ?

Just a thought (from a Nord newbie, so ymmv :)
A newcomer to Nord... :)
hughhalf

Postby LudovicVDP » 09 Jul 2018, 16:34

One work around... but that requires some extra work and the acceptance in some limitations in the sounds and playability: You can sample your sounds and create your own synth program where the x first notes would be your bass, the Y next notes would be whatever, the Z next notes something else, etc... Up to one different sound for each note.

Works in some cases (I have a lot of custom made sample programs).
Doesn't work in many other cases (here, if you want to create a short mono bass sounds on the left with a lead with legato or glissando on the right, you easily understand that both can't be part of the same sample set.)
Last edited by LudovicVDP on 09 Jul 2018, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Return to Nord Stage Forum