Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord Piano 4 introduced

Postby baekgaard » 05 Jul 2018, 10:49

jb1979 wrote:I am talking about the 8 last notes really (F to C).

I tested the F, as mentioned, and on the Royal Grand there is more than one sample being used. I would expect most (at least newer) samples would be done the same way: Just comparing the sizes, the Royal, Velvet, Silver, Italian, Bright and Imperial are all quite similar, so I would be surprised if they were sampled much differently.

Italian Grand Piano

Interesting you mentioned this. I quite like it as well, being a relatively clean piano that works well both in more "crowded" settings and when being more "exposed", almost on its on.

GSi Gemini

That's a very different device and philosophy, compared to the Nords -- not so so many buttons to tweak instantly "on the fly" as you play.

Personally I find the Electric and Organs on the Nord very good as well (although you'd need an Electro or a Stage to get the Nord organ emulation).
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby jb1979 » 05 Jul 2018, 15:11

Yes the Gemini requires a good control surface if you want to use it like a Nord. Another difference is the Gemini electric pianos are physical models, while Nord use a sampling+synthesis hybrid approach. Both are valid of course.

I can play the electric organ including bass parts (like I do on Rhodes) but I would not consider myself an organist, I have many things to learn, so having a Nord Piano + Electro would be overkill and very expensive. Of course I like the Electro as an instrument. Maybe I will get a Nord Piano + a Gemini, so that I can use the Gemini with my Novation Remote 61 version 1 (great keys) for the numerous concerts where they simply have no space for a 88-key machine. It could also be a great way to learn organ.
[Sorry for off-topic]

Today I discovered the key knocking problem with the NP3. Is there a way to avoid it like checking the serial number, or is it something that can happen randomly on any NP3 unit? I only played the NP3 in shops and did not remark anything wrong.
Last edited by jb1979 on 05 Jul 2018, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
jb1979

Postby jefsco » 06 Jul 2018, 20:04

jb1979 wrote:Today I discovered the key knocking problem with the NP3. Is there a way to avoid it like checking the serial number, or is it something that can happen randomly on any NP3 unit? I only played the NP3 in shops and did not remark anything wrong.

there is a thread dedicated to the knocking issue...
not sure if a specific serial number was identified, or any transparent statement ever made by nord concerning the problem.
the thread does mention some serial numbers.
it also shows a diy fix.
have never seen what the actual nord fix was to the issue.
but it is apparently being carried over to the piano4, as the case was not reengineered.

nord-piano-forum-f10/nord-piano-3-key-knocking-noise-t11859.html
Last edited by jefsco on 07 Jul 2018, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.
jeff
jefsco

Postby Mr_-G- » 06 Jul 2018, 20:26

Maybe you do not need to change the casing. Perhaps a different stopper material is what is needed.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby jefsco » 06 Jul 2018, 20:54

Mr_-G- wrote:Maybe you do not need to change the casing. Perhaps a different stopper material is what is needed.

sure hope so since they did not change the casing! :thumbup:
curious to see how they fixed it though...
and wonder if the fix will wear and need replacing?

the newer fatar wood hybrid actions are taller as well.
hopefully they will reengineer the case at some point to utilize one of the new actions.
jeff
jefsco

Postby jazzfoto » 07 Jul 2018, 00:18

jb1979 wrote:Today I discovered the key knocking problem with the NP3. Is there a way to avoid it like checking the serial number...

From another thread: "NP3 keybeds manufactured AFTER serial # PD11184 have a newer thicker felt pad installed in the lower chassis to prevent the clacking noise."

Actually... I was waiting for NP4 to be sure to avoid this problem. However, comments from maxpiano, NordIOW and jeffsco in this thread made me go through my reasoning once more, and actually - today I received a new NP3 :-) with a serial number starting on 15***.

jazzfoto

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Postby jefsco » 07 Jul 2018, 03:12

congrats jazz! :thumbup:
please post a review after you spend some time with it.

your location sure looks picturesque!
jeff
jefsco

Postby NordIOW » 07 Jul 2018, 11:02

Congratulations! I just got mine back with new felt. I luckily had 6 weeks left on warranty and had it replaced. Happy playing knock free my friend

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk
NordIOW

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Postby maxpiano » 07 Jul 2018, 14:39

jazzfoto wrote:
jb1979 wrote:Today I discovered the key knocking problem with the NP3. Is there a way to avoid it like checking the serial number...

From another thread: "NP3 keybeds manufactured AFTER serial # PD11184 have a newer thicker felt pad installed in the lower chassis to prevent the clacking noise."

Actually... I was waiting for NP4 to be sure to avoid this problem. However, comments from maxpiano, NordIOW and jeffsco in this thread made me go through my reasoning once more, and actually - today I received a new NP3 :-) with a serial number starting on 15***.

Well done! I hadn’t read that thread, but I am happy you did and then took the decision that was best for you, happy playing with your new NP3! :thumbup:
Last edited by maxpiano on 07 Jul 2018, 14:40, edited 5 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby OG3playsnord » 14 Jul 2018, 02:15

jazzfoto wrote:

Interesting Nord used my idea to fix their knocking noise keybed issue. Not that it's rocket science. :lol:
Last edited by OG3playsnord on 14 Jul 2018, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
OG3playsnord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum