General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Big Fat lead synth filter sweep

Postby drumford » 25 Jun 2018, 23:03

Hey guys, I have been trying to figure out how to get a certain sound out of my Nord Stage 2 synth. I used to have a MiniKorg2 analog synth back in the 70's and it had this high/low filter combo called the "Traveler" that let you sweep the filter and get those classic synth lead sounds you hear in songs like Never Been Any Reason or Tom Sawyer. I cannot figure out how to set up the Nord synth to do that using the mod wheel. Actually I figure out the mod wheel part, just not the synth settings for the fat filter sweep. Anybody conquered this one?

Thanks,
Don
drumford

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Big Fat lead synth filter sweep

Sponsor

Re: Big Fat lead synth filter sweep

Postby hughhalf » 05 Jul 2018, 13:31

Hiya Don,

I haven't got my NS3 yet so, please forgive me if I lead you down the wrong path with the following, but was playing one in the local music store today and am pretty sure it'll do what you want it to do.

To do a sweep from the mod wheel manually, I think the section you're after is "Morphing" - where you'd program it to use the Mod wheel to sweep the filter frequency. In the V1.4x Edition manual it's talked about in Pg14 and then more detail in p25.

If you want to do a sweep ala Tom Sawyer that is based off the envelopes rather than mod wheel then you'd look at the Mod Envelope section of the Synth, in particular VEL/MOD ENV and MOD ENVELOPE (p38) - these will be similar to the way your MiniKorg did it back in the day.

Finally, as you're probably aware, that classic sweep sound is the low pass (LP) filter being swept with a little bit of Resonance added.

Hope that's of some use, when I get mine I'll see if I can add anything to the above (as I'll be programming a Tom Sawyer style patch eventually ;)

Cheers,
Hugh
A newcomer to Nord... :)
hughhalf

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum