All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: The IEM Thing

Postby spradders » 05 Jul 2018, 11:34

when using in-ears we talk through our mics so we can hear each other without removing the IEM ... unless we have a few mins or more chat between songs
spradders
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Sponsor

Postby Quai34 » 17 Oct 2018, 07:08

Hi Guys,
A bit of my update on the IEM Journey started a while ago by Cipholis. So, guitarist and Alto singers are on IEM, cheap ones, like the Chinese made at 150$ for wireless AND the headset.....But wireless is working well for our Little 16.5X12.5' practice room though the headset are far from being great but they think they are way better than Monitors anyway and they are happy...
Drummer on IEM or kind of a little headphone that's enough for him to hear very well singers, clicks tracks and drumbox and the others as well....He has his personal (Well, I have for him....) Mackie Mix 8 4 channels mixer than receive a feed from the main mixer, a feed from the click on the ipad, a feed from the dumbox and a feed for the claps thatnare triggered either by the Ipad or the Drumbix (by midi mp toes sent to expanders....).
Soprano singer on IEM via classic wire headphone stereo cable, I use my radial MC3 monitors switcher that has also an headphone Amp, great sound....
So, to take on the Inputs of Ciphollis who said that he has been monitoring the front PA via his own IEM because he's the one responsible for the band sound....
I won't have to do that because I will have one or two sound guys for our shows, one at the front and maybe one on stage with us but I still want to see how we sound in order to make sure they are doing it the way I want....We've been spending a lot on sound for the last 6 months, I don't want to have that ruin by a sound guy, no matter how good he is, just because what I want is not what he has in mind....
Question 1):
So, is there a way that I could hear myself directly, with my own monitoring mix based in the Aux send from the main board and switch whenever I want to listen to what is going out from the front PA? Kind of a return via a channel on the snake being fed by the "Control room/headphone out" of the Mackie Onyx 1640i that we have...
Question 2):
I won't sing at all but I want to be able to tell to my sound guy at the front, even during a song, that I want more keys or more back vocals or more this or that in the front PA. Like having a little headset on me wth a microphone that is connected to the guy?
Question 3):
I remember Ciohollis stating that 8" speakers have a greater/wider angle so that he was using them more for front PA, mine are Yorkville PS10P 10' and have also a wider angle but how large the room would be filled with a 1000w like them, or like the 10" from QSC. If I save in renting only the sub, I could use the extra on good IEM for me...
Let me know
Thanks
Sincerely
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Schorsch » 17 Oct 2018, 11:20

Hi,

my band is also using IEM since a couple of years and we are really happy about it. We are using the Behringer X32 Rack mixer and each of us (6 in total ) has his own IEM channel and mix which he can adjust by himself using an iPhone / iPad app. What I'm missing though like Quai34 is a way to check the main mix while playing on stage, would be interested in some feedback on his Question 1 as well with regards to the X32 Rack.

Re. Question 2: this is a matter of signal routing, if you use one of the Mic inputs of the mixer for your microphone do not route it to the main outs but to a sub group which goes to one of the aux outputs of the mxer (if available), this one should then go to your FOH guy's headphones.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Quai34 » 17 Oct 2018, 12:26

Well, all the channels are used, 7 Mics for drums, 2 for keys, 3 of guitar Amps in stereo on DI, 2 for bass, DI pre and Post effects, 2 female singers, 4 aux for each of us, bass and guitar shares one, one sent for reverb/delay, one sent for Reveb for drums snare, one return for same general reverb and delay on vocals (3rd vocal and 4th vocal), that sing on less songs than the two female singers, one Return used as an extra input for the two extra singers....via extra little mixer...and for the Electroacousitc guitar...
Well, you suggestion made me thinking that return 4 could be routed to control room or headphone, then the one that will use the PA guy, thanks, I think you solve my problem 2...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Postby Quai34 » 17 Oct 2018, 16:02

PROBLEM SOLVED:
I need tom use the same Mackie Mix 8 little mixer before my IEM:

IEM MONITORING FOR KEYS
MACKIE MIX 8:
Input 1, Mono Mic/Line input: Ambient Mic, could adjust the volume. (mono in, mic Preamp)

Input 2, Mono Mic/line level Input: Aux send 4 for my personal mix, all for them but keys. (Mono in, Line input) (the Aux send on the Mackie Onyx is mono anyway but balanced...)

Input 3, Line level stereo in: LM-8ST keys premix main Output 1 for me. (Main Output 2 for main mix). Independant control on the Tascam for Main 1 and Main 2.

Input 4, Line level, stereo in: Control room/headphone out from the Mackie Onyx, Stereo out...

Headphone out of the Mackie Mix 8 goes into my IEM!!!!
Tape out could even be use to record what I'm hearing.

Then, I could dial whatever I want in my IEM, even turning down my own mix for the rest of the band (Input 2) and the Ambient Mic (Input 1) and the output of my main premix (input 3) and judge the main output to see how it sound out of the board (Input 4)

If I want to see how the room is sounding, I dial in just the Input 1.

If some of my keys is too loud compared to all the keys in the mix, I change it from my Tascam that is close to me, if the whole keys are not good, I talk to the PA guy asking him to push a bit my two faders L/R on The Mackie Onyx 1640i

If I choose the equivalent with Berhinger, the effect return has a dedicated pot (the Mackie is a send pot...), I could even have the female vocals mix from the Through of the Mackie headphone mixer that is before their IEM (both female share the same mix for instruments but could dial them more, there is a "more me" pot in the Mackie headphone Preamp.

Well, that should work great....
Quai34

Postby CountFosco » 17 Oct 2018, 19:21

Sounds like a lot of moving parts, and the risk that you're fighting your mixer. Once you're sound checked and EQ'd, he/she will just want to control keys up or down. Nothing more. It's your responsibility to match the levels of your various outputs, and most of that work should be done before you hit the stage. Just my 2 cents, but given that you have one (did you say two?) sound techs, I would say it's of zero importance for you to monitor the FOH mix, actually counterproductive.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby CountFosco » 17 Oct 2018, 19:25

Quai34 wrote:Hi Guys,
A bit of my update on the IEM Journey started a while ago by Cipholis.

PS I think you might have just turned Chuck into an STD. :D
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby cphollis » 17 Oct 2018, 21:09

Hi. I agree with others here -- if you've got a sound tech with an ear on things, you really have no need to monitor FOH -- other than your own curiosity. Also, attempting to do so introduces a bunch of cost and complexity into the whole equation.

If pressed, I would suggest one of those dual-input headphone amps, with your monitor mix in one side and the FOH in the other. Switch back and forth as you like.

I only monitor FOH when there's no sound tech to do so.

I do think the STD comment is too funny, BTW :)
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby dhbp-nord » 17 Oct 2018, 21:30

With my band we use a Behringer X18 - I plan on monitoring FOH as my IEM mix - that way I know the keys will be up front :-)

DHBP
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18
-StagePas 400i
-EV ZLX-15BT
dhbp-nord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Berretje » 18 Oct 2018, 00:03

CountFosco wrote:I would say it's of zero importance for you to monitor the FOH mix, actually counterproductive.

Same here (for both bands). We have a good (and always the same) sound guy who knows how to mix. I never have/want to hear the FOH mix.
I only have to worry about my own mix. Who is pretty steady because I'm now using the P16-M from behringer.

Gr
Bart

1F4AF4E8-4EBD-4049-953F-B7A9D393C61F.jpg
1F4AF4E8-4EBD-4049-953F-B7A9D393C61F.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 2011 times

5C5B0FD5-4049-470A-A4A5-0BBD91F7B91E.jpg
5C5B0FD5-4049-470A-A4A5-0BBD91F7B91E.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2011 times

IMG_2025.jpg
IMG_2025.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 2011 times
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories and Amplification