General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: MIDI Organ, Piano, Synth Channel

Postby weremole » 26 Jun 2018, 21:03

AlexNagel wrote:Just guessing: The NS2 could be used as a sound module that could play 6 different sounds - triggered on 6 different MIDI channels - independently. The NS3 can only receive signals on 2 different MIDI channels (assigned to the 2 layers A and B). To compensate for this, using an external module could be the solution.

That's a bit like stacking 3 NS3's just to have the same flexibility as the older models. :shock:
weremole

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Sponsor

Postby anotherscott » 26 Jun 2018, 21:29

weremole wrote:
AlexNagel wrote:Just guessing: The NS2 could be used as a sound module that could play 6 different sounds - triggered on 6 different MIDI channels - independently. The NS3 can only receive signals on 2 different MIDI channels (assigned to the 2 layers A and B). To compensate for this, using an external module could be the solution.

That's a bit like stacking 3 NS3's just to have the same flexibility as the older models. :shock:

No, the idea is that adding a single multi-timbal sound module to the NS3 will give you back this feature that went away between the NS2 and the NS3.

Using MrTobbe's example of now only being able to drive one NS3 sound externally instead of 3 as you could on the NS2, you need something that can give you (at a minimum) two additional sounds on two other MIDI channels. There are lots of possibilities. You may be able to do it pretty cheaply with an iPhone or iPad you already own. You could also look at it as a way to also improve some of the available sounds, i.e. maybe get something with better "rompler" sounds than the NS3 itself has, so you're more than making up for a lost feature, you're also improving the rig in other ways. Though I agree it's a shame you're kind of being forced into it if this was a functionality you relied on in the NS2 and you still want to upgrade to the 3 for other reasons.

Budget aside, if I were going to add a module to the NS3, it would be either a Roland Integra 7 or a GSI Gemini.
anotherscott

Postby Quai34 » 29 Jun 2018, 02:53

+1 on the Roland Integra, I was close to buy one when it was released but I would have had to sell my XV5080 and even with all the SRX and SV expansions cards in it, my fully loaded XV5080 was way cheaper than the Integra...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby themixtape » 01 Jun 2019, 22:37

Wow, that's disappointing... I kind of forgot and/or ignored that the Stage 3 does not let you play 6 different sounds on 6 different MIDI channels. It's only two MIDI channels, as per the settings for MIDI, right?

Global Channel
Layer A channel
Layer B channel
Dual KB channel

So it's literally.... 2 channels at the same time... and only that? What happened to the Stage 3 being a "Master Keyboard" (as in, say... you have a 6-member keyboard band.... their gear is: one Nord Stage that one person plays, and 5 other people using MIDI controllers (with standard MIDI DIN out) MIDI'd to it, playing 6 different parts... Rhodes, Wurly, Grand (the person playing the Nord keybed), Upright, Sawtooth synth and Mellotron? Is this no longer possible with the Stage 3?

Hell, I might sell my Stage 3 and go for an Electro 5 and a digital piano connected via MIDI to it.... Electro 5 is 2 sounds on two different MIDI channels, right? Like Piano and Synth, or Organ and Synth, or Piano and Organ? I only mainly use the Sample Synth (tweaking it basic) and the Piano Library in my Stage 3. Wonder if I should just get rid of it and downgrade, at least for my needs...
Last edited by themixtape on 02 Jun 2019, 00:56, edited 3 times in total.
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.chriscaulder.net
http://patreon.com/chriscaulder
-------------------------------------------------------
themixtape

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum