General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS3-Organ volume loss in song mode

Postby ChiefDanG » 13 Jun 2018, 16:51

I created a "song" that has an organ program in the first part, and a Wurly in the second. When I call up that song the organ is at the desired loudness. Then I switch to the second (Wurly) part - all fine and good. Go back to the organ and the volume is a lot lower. Cannot get it back up unless I go to another song and then return to this song. When the volume drops you can go to program mode and that sound is still lower in volume, with no way to get to original loudness - switching programs does not restore it, only switching "songs" will. Also, while this is happening you can touch song part 1 button and hear the volume surge for a split second, like it's trying to get the right volume. This only happens with organ sounds. If I put them in parts 2-5, they will be lower in volume right away.
No MIDI hooked up.
Swept the volume pedal.
Checked the pedal settings - FC7. Used as Swell or control morphing volume - no difference.
Tried seamless switching on or off - no difference.
Any ideas what's going on? Anybody else reproduce this, or is it just me?
Tanks

Dan
ChiefDanG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

NS3-Organ volume loss in song mode

Sponsor

Re: NS3-Organ volume loss in song mode

Postby ChiefDanG » 13 Jun 2018, 17:46

Well, I lied about no MIDI being hooked up - just no MIDI Din-plug hooked up. I had usb into the computer running the sound manager. Took out the usb cable and it performed as expected - no volume drops. Hooked up usb to sound manager program and organ parts drop in volume in song mode, when switching parts.
Can I thank myself?
ChiefDanG

Postby ChiefDanG » 13 Jun 2018, 18:54

Now I feel like a jerk. Doing more programming today and the problem is back. No MIDI being used and organ programs drop in volume when in song mode.
ChiefDanG

Postby Hawkes » 14 Jun 2018, 14:23

I’ve come across this exact issue too with no workaround that I’ve come up with.
Hawkes

Postby ChiefDanG » 14 Jun 2018, 18:07

I've found that I can re-send the MIDI patch change for that song and the volume will come back. Only works if the organ is in part 1. For live use, I'm gonna have separate patch changes for organs and whatever alternate sounds used in a particular song. Using an IPad / SetListMaker for this.
ChiefDanG

Postby ErikR » 28 Jun 2018, 01:52

I have a similar issue, though I see it as program 1 being louder than the other programs in a song (and only for organ parts). Reason I see it as being a volume increase is that the regular sounds (outside song mode) are all the similar lower volume.

Wish there was a fix for this. Song mode was working perfectly fine before I upgraded to OS 1.40.

And I'm experiencing the same volume 'surge' that you're referring to when switching parts...but again, just for organ. And I tried the same troubleshooting with the pedals that you did.

https://www.norduserforum.com/post104084.html#p104084
Last edited by ErikR on 28 Jun 2018, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
ErikR

Postby bartley99 » 28 Jun 2018, 17:28

I had a similar situation and found that it was related to having multiple keyboards and a DAW running. Something was sending a MIDI CC 11 (expression pedal) back to my stage3 on it's global channel and setting it to MIDI value 64 (50%). Not sure if it was a plug-in or another keyboard but see the CC msg coming in. To fix it, I put a midi filter in my DAW to NOT allow MIDI CC 11 to go back to my stage3. Not sure if this helps or not.
bartley99

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby ErikR » 28 Jun 2018, 18:28

bartley99 wrote:I had a similar situation and found that it was related to having multiple keyboards and a DAW running. Something was sending a MIDI CC 11 (expression pedal) back to my stage3 on it's global channel and setting it to MIDI value 64 (50%). Not sure if it was a plug-in or another keyboard but see the CC msg coming in. To fix it, I put a midi filter in my DAW to NOT allow MIDI CC 11 to go back to my stage3. Not sure if this helps or not.

Thanks for the response and workaround suggestion! With the situation here, I don't have the NS3 hooked up to any DAW (at the moment), and all pedals are unplugged. So this issue is happening literally with the keyboard just running into a powered monitor with nothing else plugged in.
ErikR

Postby olivierFromGre » 29 Aug 2018, 09:17

Same problem here, I think the bug should be reported.
olivierFromGre

Postby Hobster » 29 Aug 2018, 12:15

olivierFromGre wrote:Same problem here, I think the bug should be reported.

Are you running the latest OS (currently v1.46)...?
Some info from v1.42 release: "B3 organ could have too high volume level when loaded under certain circumstances. Fixed."
I'm guessing this may've solved the problem...
Can't test on my NS3C as I'm sticking with v1.36 until the synth 'note-robbing' issue gets sorted!
Hobster

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum