Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Review one month in and amplification problems

Postby nose_ » 27 Jun 2018, 09:29

When I was looking for a pair of speakers for my Nord Piano 2 a couple of years ago I had the opportunity to test both the QSC K10 and the Yamaha DXR10 side by side in the store while playing the Nord Piano sounds. I sincerely hoped that the Yamahas would be the better ones (I found them aesthetically more pleasing and they were cheaper :) ). However, I ended with a pair of QSC K10s - a decision which I never regretted - and I had a lot of live gigs since then.

My personal reason: I found the Yamahas very muddy in the mid-range and a bit harsh in the upper end. The QSCs were far more balanced in the whole range.

Edit: When playing mono I am using the right channel as well for the same reason: In a band context I need the upper end more than the lower end which is already covered by Bass and Drums.
Last edited by nose_ on 27 Jun 2018, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 2
Dave Smith Tetra
Conn Chu Berry Alto Saxophone

The author nose_ was thanked by:
Nepean
nose_
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby anotherscott » 29 Jun 2018, 14:37

Another speaker I liked better than the Yamaha DXR was the EV ZZa1, which had advantages of lower price and lower weight.
anotherscott

Postby Nepean » 30 Jun 2018, 14:22

I spoke to a sound engineer dude today, who seemed quite knowledgeable, about the Yamaha DXR 10 vs QSC K10 issue. He thought that the QSC's were better than the Yamaha DXR's, but he thought the Yamaha's DXR's were really great quality PA's, and especially for their price they delivered very good value.
Nepean

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum