Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nordrack2 reading other synth’s data

Postby 313ryans » 23 Jun 2018, 20:31

On my PCMCIA card there used to be files for a different synth; probably a quadrasynth or wavestation. I would plug those into my nord an tweak away until i got something useable. I almost always wound up with something unique, often aggressive or spacey, random...and not very nord-like.

Sometimes LEDs for filter, octave, etc. were unlit. The sound characteristics would often change by pressing an unlit parameter.

I have played with pelle’s mode before, and did not get much use out of it.

Is something going on that cannot be duplicated by tweaking native nord patches? I lost 90% of these when my pc card battery ran out...so i am wondering if it is worth the trouble of downloading these files, and also the logistics of organizing the nord files that i want to save.
313ryans

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Nordrack2 reading other synth’s data

Sponsor

Re: Nordrack2 reading other synth’s data

Postby 313ryans » 24 Jun 2018, 19:41

Sorry, the post is kinda rambly. The Nord can read patches from alesis Andromeda, quadrasynths, and some versions of the Korg wavestation. Interesting things happen that remind me of pelle mode.

I got the sysex backup how-to from an earlier post on this page. I remember why I used to have midi ox on my old PC.
313ryans

Re: Nordrack2 reading other synth’s data

Postby ricard » 16 Aug 2018, 10:03

It could be that when the Nord reads the patches from the PCMCIA card it doesn't do any bounds checking on the parameters, hence certain parameters can be set to values which cannot be reached by editing, leading to unpredictable results when the synth engine actually tries to use them in a patch. I wonder if it's the same via sysex? Since it's more likely that the synth would exposed to random values when receiving sysex dumps compared to reading PCMCIA cards (after all 99% of all PCMCIA cards used in a Nord will most likely be written by a Nord), it wouldn't surprise me if you can't do it that way though.
Last edited by ricard on 16 Aug 2018, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
ricard

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum