Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

EQ on the Electro 6

Postby cki69 » 21 Jun 2018, 20:11

Can somebody who has the Electro 6 tell me, if it's really true (from the manual I conclude this), that the EQ can only be assigned to one of the three Engines?
Or is it possible to light more than one of the LEDs (O/ P/ S simultanously)?
On the Electro 5 you can chose between Lower/Upper/ or Both (Master EQ). Is this possible with the 6 as well?

Thanks for your answers.
Carsten.
Last edited by cki69 on 21 Jun 2018, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
cki69

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

EQ on the Electro 6

Sponsor

Re: EQ on the Electro 6

Postby baekgaard » 21 Jun 2018, 23:01

All effects, including the equalizer, takes input from one source only -- apart from the reverb, which is shared across programs.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 21 Jun 2018, 23:19

So it sounds like this is another NE5 feature that didn't make it to the NE6.

On the NS3, you can put different EQ on two different things (by putting one in each of the two slots), that's nice... though I wish the amp sim and drive were separate from the EQ section as they are on the NE5 and NE6. On a given slot, you can't have drive on one sound and EQ on another, so that alone can force you into two slots. (I like the added drive on the organ, but also like to have EQ available for piano/EP).
anotherscott

Postby cki69 » 22 Jun 2018, 20:13

Thanks for your answers. I'm getting more and more away from "upgrading" my NE 5... Sorry Nord, this is somehow strange to improve a board with seamless transistions and cross fade splits and three timbres (all of what I really would like to have) and then to downgrade EQsection and Setlist-Mode...

Well I still hope for Software upgrades...
cki69

Postby anotherscott » 24 Jun 2018, 02:28

cki69 wrote:On the Electro 5 you can chose between Lower/Upper/ or Both (Master EQ). Is this possible with the 6 as well?

Although it looks like the Master EQ feature is gone, if you're putting your Nord through a mixer (or if your amp has EQ), you may be able to effectively get your master EQ there. A small, inexpensive mixer with a similar-to-Nord EQ (2 channels, sweepable mid) would be the Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX.
anotherscott

Postby cki69 » 24 Jun 2018, 11:06

Of course a "master EQ" can be in the mixer. I thought more about the possibility to tweak more than one sound (in the Nord Electro 5 both sounds/upper and lower) at the same time and of course storing this tweak to a programme.
That's now impossible if you can only use the EQ on one of the three sound engines. Maybe Nord can implement again, that the EQ can be used on more than one engine and realize this by then lighting not only one of the LEDs (O/P/S) but more LEDs simultaneously (as it is on the 5).
So my idea was not really a master EQ - that was obviously the wrong term :angel:

Best wishes
Carsten.

BTW: With all the "drawbacks" of the electro 6 I'm currently thinking of spending a lot of money extra and buying the Stage..... maybe that's what Nord wanted.... :roll:
cki69

Postby anotherscott » 24 Jun 2018, 17:31

cki69 wrote:So my idea was not really a master EQ - that was obviously the wrong term :angel:

It was actually a pretty good term anyway. On the NE5, there's really no difference between a master EQ and a single EQ that you put on two sounds at the same time, since the NED can only play 2 sounds at once anyway, so as soon as you EQ both sounds, functionally, you are operating a master EQ, same as if it were in your mixer. It's a little different on the NE6, since you can play 3 sounds at once, and then a master EQ (i.e. in your mixer) would affect all three (i.e. you could not choose to put EQ on only 2 of the 3).

Realistically, though, I think it would be rare that you would want the same EQ on your piano sound as your organ, or the same EQ on your clav as on your brass, etc. I mean, if you really want the same EQ on two sounds that are very different to begin with, I think it is likely that you're using EQ to adjust for the environment (i.e. the room or the amp you're playing through), and then Master EQ is exactly what you want, whether in the board or external. For me, anyway.

Basically, I think you're right that it can be very useful to save programs with EQ on two different split/layered sounds as a creative tool, but in that case it would almost never be the same EQ on both sounds. So I personally don't see this as a real downgrade from the E5, i.e. not being able to do something I can hardly envision ever wanting to do anyway, personally. But it is an NS3 advantage that I had never thought about, that you can indeed create patches where you split or layer (for example) an EP and a sampled sound, and you can actually have different EQ on each, something you can't do on an NE5 or an NE6.
anotherscott

Return to Nord Electro Forum