General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Question about FREQ filter

Postby analogika » 20 Jun 2018, 00:42

On the Stage 3, you can check the value of any control by holding the “Monitor” button and twisting the knob.

On the Stage 2, this is done with the “Shift” button.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Bjosko » 20 Jun 2018, 14:14

Are you using the latest OS?
Your patch number are indicating that you are on an older OS.
Anyway found the program on mine under L24
No problem to adjust the Freqenzy here, but you have to choose Synth as source. As default in this program, it are set to Piano.
/Bjørn
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby baekgaard » 20 Jun 2018, 21:22

@mralisson: I have some older Stage 3 defaults loaded into mine as well, and I just checked -- and there is an issue with the FREQ not having an impact.

The reason is, I believe, that possibly during some upgrade, the program settings have been updated and now actually an illegal value stored.

If you check how the filter is modulated, it is set up to velocity at 10, i.e. full impact from velocity -- the idea being that if you play softly, the filter will be closed down but as you play more loudly, the filter opens up.

However, the value shown as 10 is apparently another (even "higher" or illegal) setting. If you dial it down and back up to 10, the program shows the new value is not the same as before (marked by the inverse E). And with the "real" 10, it now works.

So if you want the "original" sound back, dial the filter mod down and back up to 10 and save it again.

If you just want to see what happens with changing filter values, set the modulation to 10 (neither velocity nor mod env).

So a minor bug in how the program was made originally or how it was converted at some point. This probably only affects some of us, depending on how the programs have been upgraded -- is my guess.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby ajstan » 20 Jun 2018, 22:48

The FREQ knob doesn’t have any affect on the SuperDrive program (other than mildly affecting release time) because the MOD ENV setting is at 10 and the MOD ATTACK is at 8.4ms which is controlling the FREQ.

If you turn the MOD ENV to 0 the FREQ knob will then behave more like I think you expect it to behave.

Also, in response to baekgaard’s post, if I pull up the Superdrive program and bring the MOD ENV to 0 then back up to 10, the E disappears for me, which would indicate that 10 was the original value. I received my NS3 in October with v1.04 of the OS. I am not thinking there is an error anywhere, but I’m not knowledgeable enough about the Synth section to say for sure.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Postby baekgaard » 20 Jun 2018, 23:27

ajstan wrote:Also, in response to baekgaard’s post, if I pull up the Superdrive program and bring the MOD ENV to 0 then back up to 10, the E disappears for me, which would indicate that 10 was the original value. I received my NS3 in October with v1.04 of the OS. I am not thinking there is an error anywhere, but I’m not knowledgeable enough about the Synth section to say for sure.

You are right; I was a bit too fast. The filter is modulated fully (10.0) not by Velocity but by the Modulation Envelope, and if I dial it up to 10.0, the E also disappears for me. I didn't look carefully enough; mea culpa!

So you are right, and that explains why the FREQ knob has no effect; the MOD ENV is in this program set to a really fast attack, then it sustains fully, and a relatively quick decay. So the MOD ENV opens up the filter fully after some 8.4 ms or so, which means the value dialed in by the FREQ knob has almost no effect.

So either dial the filter modulation down to a smaller value, or use some other values in the MOD ENV so that you can hear the effect of the filter.

I guess why it is different for @Bjosko is because he was changing the equalizer frequency and not the built-in filter of the synth.
Last edited by baekgaard on 20 Jun 2018, 23:32, edited 5 times in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby Bjosko » 21 Jun 2018, 06:57

You are right, Baekgaard. I misread the OP, was thinking EQ when he wrote Freq.
/Bjørn

The author Bjosko was thanked by:
baekgaard
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby ajstan » 29 Jun 2018, 02:49

@mralisson - glad to help! A great way learn about the NS3 is trying to reproduce and resolve issues that other members have. Your detailed description was the key.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Postby hofi66 » 10 Dec 2021, 01:52

I recently bought a new NS3 88. One thing bothers me, is I damaged, incorrectly calibrated?
It is about the filter frequency - minimum value 14 Hz, maximum 21 kH. Should the minimum value not show 0.0 when the knob is set to "0", as in the case of others, eg resonance etc.?
What settings do you have, is it normal or a problem with the dial calibration? Do you also have that in your settings?
My filter frequency range in Nord Stage 3 88 - 14 Hz - 21 kHz.
Last edited by hofi66 on 10 Dec 2021, 02:28, edited 2 times in total.
hofi66

Postby cphollis » 10 Dec 2021, 06:16

That's about the range of human hearing, generally 20 Hz to 20 kHz, so I think you'll be fine unless you're planning to perform for dogs, whales, and so on. Seriously, I haven't checked against mine, but I don't think you have a problem here.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Hobster » 10 Dec 2021, 13:47

Synth Filter Freq is 0=14Hz to 127=21kHz so your NS3 is fine.
Hobster

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum