This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Electro 6 or Stage 3 Compact for Live?

Postby srcohiba11 » 15 Jun 2018, 06:22

I'm looking to add a 2nd keyboard for my live set up; primarily for B3 and organ sounds; but also traditional synth sounds; horns; etc. My main Keyboard is an 88 key Kurzweil that use for all my pianos, and which occasionally I use for pads or orchestra sounds. I love the Nord's B3 sounds so I really want a drawbar option and a majority of the tunes I play live use B3 and other organ sounds. So the Nord appears to have what I'm looking for. However, I also use some traditional synth sounds as well when the tunes call for them.

Unfortunately, no local store in Miami has both the Electro 6 or Stage 3 Compact on display so I can try them out. I was opting for the Electro which is newer tech and cheaper, but then I notice that it has no mod or pitch bend wheel which I use for soloing and vibrato. The Stage 3 does. The stage 3 compact is also $1K more.

For those familiar with both units, how much more does the Stage 3 do over the Electro 6? I'm really torn into which unit to get and unfortunately, all I have are you tube vids to see what they do.

ALso, I'm' most curious in the set list modes. Any difference set list on the Newer Electro 6 vs. the Stage 3 compact?

suggestions appreciated

Mike in Miami
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Yamaha CP 73
Yamaha ModX7

Old Stuff in Storage:
Yamaha DX 7-II FD
Emu Proteus
srcohiba11

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Electro 6 or Stage 3 Compact for Live?

Sponsor

Re: Electro 6 or Stage 3 Compact for Live?

Postby analogika » 15 Jun 2018, 07:43

There is a good teardown of the differences across several posts in this thread:

general-nord-forum-f29/stage-3-compact-vs-electro-6-t15138.html?hilit=Electro%206%20vs%20Stage%203

I cannot comment on the set list/Song mode comparison, as I don’t really use song mode on the Stage.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby CountFosco » 15 Jun 2018, 09:02

If you need synth with PB and LFOs etc, the Electro won't suit. It's great for everything else. I added an A1 synth to my Electro for the same reason. The S3 compact has basically the same synth on-board, so I assume it's also awesome.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby anotherscott » 15 Jun 2018, 14:39

srcohiba11 wrote:I'm looking to add a 2nd keyboard for my live set up; primarily for B3 and organ sounds; but also traditional synth sounds; horns; etc.

"traditional synth sounds; horns; etc." are 2 different things, maybe 3 depending on what the etc. is. What's best for one may not be best for another.
srcohiba11 wrote:I notice that it has no mod or pitch bend wheel

Which Kurz do you have? If it has a pitch wheel, I believe you can use MIDI to direct its function to the Nord (at least you were able to do that on the E5). Not the mod wheel, though, as the Nord does not have an LFO in it (i.e. the issue isn't the lack of the wheel, the issue is there's nothing in the Nord for the wheel to control, in terms of a typical modulation function).

NS3 adds the synth that the NE6 doesn't have (including the pitch/mod controls and aftertouch too), and is a bit better for horns and such (because you can layer two such sounds), but is still not the best board for the latter. It also adds some good MIDI capabilities, so if you have, for example, some better horn sounds in your Kurz, you can trigger them from the Stage, split and layered with the Nord's own sounds, while continuing to play piano or whatever on the Kurz itself (depending on the Kurz model you have). Also, you could add sounds from some other device (including even an iPhone or iPad), that would be another way to add things like other brass sounds to the NS3, again using its MIDI EXT function.

If you want to spend less, you might also consider looking at a Roland VR09/VR730 or maybe Vox Continental. It's subjective, but you'd probably find that the organs are not as good as Nord's, but the synth and rompler sounds like horns may be better, at least compared to the Electro.
anotherscott

Postby Frantz » 15 Jun 2018, 17:11

These 3 boards (Nord Stage, Nord Electro, Vox Continental) could do the job you want, if you can try them you will know which one to buy.
If you can't try them, the stage is a safe bet. Nord (electro or stage) has one organ cabinet emulation and a few sound menu settings (rotor speed, vintage/clean), whereas the Continental provides a wider range of organ sounds, still with drawbars and on boards settings, touch drawbars work well.
I'd go for a stage 3 if possible ;) A second hand stage 2 should ful-fill your needs too.
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby cphollis » 15 Jun 2018, 17:24

It's a close call between the two. That being said, the Stage 3 is the top of the line. If Nords were Porsches, the Stage 3 would be the 911 Turbo S.

Some things to consider?

You may find that you'd like to use some of the Nord acoustic piano and electric piano sounds. Not dinging the Kurz, but more is better. And the Nord sounds can be pretty awesome. With the Stage 3, you can use the A panel for organs, synths, etc. and the B panel to do pianos, splits and layers controlled by MIDI. That's on a per-preset basis vs. global. So more tools in the arsenal.

The synth section on the Stage 3 is very extensive. Sometimes surprisingly so. Enough to get just about anything you need. Plus, you'd be surprised just how useful samples of other synths can be.

If you're into samples, filter/attack/modulation makes them even more interesting and useful.

In addition to mod wheels and pitch bend, the morph function is turning out to be an impressive performance feature the more I use it. Dramatic fades, transitions to/from solos, etc. Spend a little time with it, you'll see what I mean.

If you'd like to save a bit of money, call around to the usual suspects. You'll save big.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby srcohiba11 » 16 Jun 2018, 01:29

anotherscott wrote:
srcohiba11 wrote:I'm looking to add a 2nd keyboard for my live set up; primarily for B3 and organ sounds; but also traditional synth sounds; horns; etc.

"traditional synth sounds; horns; etc." are 2 different things, maybe 3 depending on what the etc. is. What's best for one may not be best for another.
srcohiba11 wrote:I notice that it has no mod or pitch bend wheel

Which Kurz do you have? If it has a pitch wheel, I believe you can use MIDI to direct its function to the Nord (at least you were able to do that on the E5). Not the mod wheel, though, as the Nord does not have an LFO in it (i.e. the issue isn't the lack of the wheel, the issue is there's nothing in the Nord for the wheel to control, in terms of a typical modulation function).

NS3 adds the synth that the NE6 doesn't have (including the pitch/mod controls and aftertouch too), and is a bit better for horns and such (because you can layer two such sounds), but is still not the best board for the latter. It also adds some good MIDI capabilities, so if you have, for example, some better horn sounds in your Kurz, you can trigger them from the Stage, split and layered with the Nord's own sounds, while continuing to play piano or whatever on the Kurz itself (depending on the Kurz model you have). Also, you could add sounds from some other device (including even an iPhone or iPad), that would be another way to add things like other brass sounds to the NS3, again using its MIDI EXT function.

If you want to spend less, you might also consider looking at a Roland VR09/VR730 or maybe Vox Continental. It's subjective, but you'd probably find that the organs are not as good as Nord's, but the synth and rompler sounds like horns may be better, at least compared to the Electro.

I have the Kurzweil Artis 88 which has both wheels. I thought I had read that the mod wheel commands did not work on the Electro via midi. Not sure as I have not tried. I mainly play in cover band so most of the tunes I use have piano (Elec or Grand) which I rely on the KZ being that it has the 88 keys. The other sounds I would use are horn sections (such as on santana tunes where I'm playing Piano on the KZ and either horns or B3 and other organ sounds on the second keyboard. I've been using a Yamaha MX 61 which is adequate for some sounds; but the organ sounds suck. (the organ sounds on the KZ suck as well but the piano sounds are great). I also would be using the 2nd keyboard for depeche mode, Muse, Coldplay, covers so I would be needing fat analogue sounds and choir sounds. The Nord Organ though is what is blowing me away. I looked at the Montage but that thing was complicated as hell and just did not seem it was geared for live as compared to studio and recording. I need to be able to go from song to song as quickly and seamlessly as possible. Sucks that the big stores (Guitar center) here don't have them in stock. they mainly have the Nord Electro 5 in stock.
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Yamaha CP 73
Yamaha ModX7

Old Stuff in Storage:
Yamaha DX 7-II FD
Emu Proteus
srcohiba11

Postby anotherscott » 16 Jun 2018, 02:09

srcohiba11 wrote:I have the Kurzweil Artis 88 which has both wheels. I thought I had read that the mod wheel commands did not work on the Electro via midi.

Correct. That's what I said in the post you were replying to, as well.

srcohiba11 wrote:most of the tunes I use have piano (Elec or Grand) which I rely on the KZ being that it has the 88 keys. The other sounds I would use are horn sections (such as on santana tunes where I'm playing Piano on the KZ and either horns or B3 and other organ sounds on the second keyboard.

and as I said, with MIDI, if you ended up liking the Kurz horns better than the Nord's, you can still play the Kurz horns from the Nord Stage 3 (even split/layered with other Nord sounds) even while also playing Kurz piano from the Kurz itself, if you'd like. You can't do that on the Electro 6, though. (But you could with the Electro 5! Not with as much flexibility as on the NS3, though.)

srcohiba11 wrote:I've been using a Yamaha MX 61 which is adequate for some sounds; but the organ sounds suck. (the organ sounds on the KZ suck as well but the piano sounds are great).

Yamaha MX generally has better horns than Nord, but yeah, weak organs. Kurz organs are better than Yamaha, but not as good as Nord.

srcohiba11 wrote:I would be needing fat analogue sounds and choir sounds.

Either Nord can give you choir (as can your Kurz and Yamaha, I believe). Fat analog would be much better on Stage 3 than Electro 6. Full synth controls, true waveform selection (not just samples), mono mode with portamento (glide), stacking/layering, modulation (via wheel, pedal, aftertouch), there's really no comparison. Kurz can do some good analog stuff, too. For synth and organ both, on the Kurz, you probably really want to tweak with the editor... the advantage of the Nord is that all the controls are right there.

For clonewheel plus VA synth, NS3 is best (though NS3 is not strongest at brass and such). At lower cost, you have Roland VR09/VR730, Vox Continental, and arguably the Artis though that doesn't seem to really be doing it for you for these purposes. I think you'll quickly run into frustrations with an Electro unless you also choose to make more use of your Artis.
anotherscott

Postby srcohiba11 » 18 Jun 2018, 16:55

I'm pretty close to just pulling the trigger on the Stage 3 Compact given all my research. I still find it hard to believe that no one has them here in South Florida. Went to Guitar Center and they only had the Electro 5-61 and 73; and the Nord Double Keyboard Organ. Played the Organ on the 5 and it sounded amazing, so I can only imagine on the S3.

Saw a used one on Amazon, but reluctant to get something used without seeing it.

thanks again
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Yamaha CP 73
Yamaha ModX7

Old Stuff in Storage:
Yamaha DX 7-II FD
Emu Proteus
srcohiba11

Postby jefsco » 18 Jun 2018, 23:33

cphollis wrote: If Nords were Porsches, the Stage 3 would be the 911 Turbo S.

so they’re made for status seeking poseurs that don’t really know how to use them? ;)

....more like a gt3rs 8-)
jeff
jefsco

Next

Return to General Nord Forum