General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS3- Organ types, no difference?

Postby ChiefDanG » 13 Jun 2018, 23:12

Trying to program my own organs. I'm in the organ section - B3 model - go to "sound" pages to select
clean/vintage 1/vintage 2. I hear absolutely NO difference in the sound of the organ.
On the page for key click, I hear NO click at any setting - even with all drawbars up/silent.
Anyone run across this?

Dan
ChiefDanG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

NS3- Organ types, no difference?

Sponsor

Re: NS3- Organ types, no difference?

Postby baekgaard » 13 Jun 2018, 23:46

This has been discussed before also.

The differences between the Vintage models is subtle, but try this: Set up a clean B3 at e.g. 888400004 (no vibrato or rotary) and play the A at 880 Hz (one octave above the standard tuning A at 440 Hz). Now while you hold down the key, change between clean, vintage 1 and 2. You should be able to hear a low frequency noise that is just audible at vintage 1 and clearly audible at vintage 2 -- but you may have to listen for it carefully initially.

Now play a rapid sequence of tones in the same area (e.g. D-C-B-A-G) while you change the click volume settings. At the high setting, there is almost (to my taste) a bit too much clicking, but you should be able to hear the difference especially between low and high.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby ChiefDanG » 14 Jun 2018, 02:05

Thank you for your response. I'll try this tomorrow - right now I'm OD'ing on programming. Ears and eyes are fatigued and I don't trust my judgement right now.
ChiefDanG

Postby anotherscott » 14 Jun 2018, 03:43

To make sure you know what you're listening for, the tone of the organ does not change with the Vintage setting... what changes is the background noise. My example would be to pull out only the first 2 drawbars (16' and 5 1/3'), and turn the rotary effect on, and play just the G below middle C. There's a big difference between Vintage 1 and Vintage 2. But I also find Vintage 1 to be useless, it's too indistinguishable from Clean. The Electro has Vintage 1, 2, and 3. If they had to drop one on the NS3, I wish they had dropped V1 and kept V3, which authentically keeps the background noise going even when you're not playing anything. Not everyone wants that, but it's nice to have the option, as it is more authentic.

As for click, use the same drawbar setting and play the lowest C. Since the click is largely higher frequencies, you can hear it more distinctly when you play a low note that has no highs of its own. So you should be able to hear the difference among the three levels that way. Again, I miss the 4th "higher" setting of the Electro 5, though.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
ChiefDanG
anotherscott

Postby ChiefDanG » 14 Jun 2018, 17:57

Last sentence on page 18 of the user manual:
"These will dramatically change the sound of the B3 model from a squeaky clean unit to a battered, old workhorse."
Perhaps they should remove the word "dramatically" ?
ChiefDanG

Postby Jo Osantos1 » 15 Jun 2018, 11:00

ChiefDanG wrote:Last sentence on page 18 of the user manual:
"These will dramatically change the sound of the B3 model from a squeaky clean unit to a battered, old workhorse."
Perhaps they should remove the word "dramatically" ?

I do thing that the B3 Module still have some bugs... Lets see on the next Update.
Jo Osantos1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum