Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Nord Piano 3 Design Problems

Postby ADkeys » 14 Jun 2018, 16:06

Hi guys,
I'm thinking about upgrading to the piano 3 from my piano 2.
I spoke to a local shop earlier today and he said the 4 will be shipping soon.
I asked if he knew why it was such a quick turnaround from 3 to 4. He said it was a way to rectify some design issues on the Piano 3!
Just wondering if anyone else has heard the same. There seems to be quite a few faults posted on the forum about the 3.
Think I'll hold on now, as I don't want to spend on a faulty design!
Be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.
Last edited by ADkeys on 14 Jun 2018, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
ADkeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 4

Nord Piano 3 Design Problems

Sponsor

Re: Nord Piano 3 Design Problems

Postby pterm » 14 Jun 2018, 17:08

All Nords have design issues as witnessed by the continuing release of OS updates on their website to remedy. --These are complex electro-mechanical systems and if they waited until they found all the issues, they'd never sell anything.
I too was surprised by the quick turnaround of the Piano 3 to 4 and also the quick release of the Electro 6. Their release closely followed the release of the Stage 3.
I suspect this is driven more my the global electronics marketplace rather than any particular issue with any Nord keyboard: The industry is experiencing global shortages of components from critical to the most mundane. I suspect the surge in crypto currency mining drove these shortages.
For an electronics manufacturer like Nord, it makes sense to consolidate one's purchases of components as the parts vendors try to first accommodate the customers buying the largest volumes. Their newest designs might also provide options to populate different components to get around shortages.
My advice: Test drive in the store. Search the forum for issues important to you. If it meets your needs, go for it: I bought my Nord six years ago and play it almost everyday - no regrets.
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby baekgaard » 14 Jun 2018, 18:03

Lots of speculation on this is possible :-)

Also with no insights into the hardware itself or the internal reasoning of Nord, let me add my thoughts:

From having worked in the electronics industry, I think the simpler explanation is that, with all 3 lines being updated recently, there can be more similar platforms and engines in all products, which not only helps in having to deal with fewer different components, but also tends to simplify the software maintenance, making it easier to focus on new features rather than having to maintain a lot of old and different platforms. This ends up as a big benefit to the end users.

As for there being design issues, I'd maybe say that Nord is one of the good companies that not only fixes bugs but also adds new features and tweaks to their products. This philosophy is also reflected in the steady stream of new pianos etc.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
pterm
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby pterm » 14 Jun 2018, 18:14

baekgaard wrote:From having worked in the electronics industry, I think the simpler explanation is that, with all 3 lines being updated recently, there can be more similar platforms and engines in all products, which not only helps in having to deal with fewer different components, but also tends to simplify the software maintenance, making it easier to focus on new features rather than having to maintain a lot of old and different platforms. This ends up as a big benefit to the end users.

Thanks baekgaard: This was the point I was trying to make... but you made it much more clearly. :)

The author pterm was thanked by:
baekgaard
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby ADkeys » 15 Jun 2018, 13:28

Thanks for your replies. I didn't think Nord built generically flawed products. I've owned the Piano 2 since its release and had no trouble at all with it.
I also love the sound of it! I was asking about the Piano 3 specifically because of the conversation I had with the guy at the music shop.

Your replies make total sense in terms of aligning all 3 keyboards more closely in the way they are built. It gives me a bit more confidence in buying the Piano 3!
ADkeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 4

Postby OG3playsnord » 14 Jul 2018, 02:22

The only issue I had on my Piano3 is the knocking noise keybed which I fixed per my DIY. No issue since. It is a fantastic piano, I love it.
OG3playsnord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby cphollis » 14 Jul 2018, 03:50

I'm a NP2 player. I own two of them. The NP3 was not enough of an upgrade for me. Nor is the NP4 for that matter.

What I *really* wanted is more piano sample memory. So now I play a NP2 driving a NS3C with TWO gigabytes of tasty piano memory.

Works for me?
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum