General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

5pin din and USB midi control simultaneously

Postby smcelyea » 13 Jun 2018, 23:42

Can I use Global 5pin din to control a Digitech Vocalist Pro AND use the USB to control Mainstage3 with Extern channel 14? I have used both to control the respective devices. It seems to be either/or but not both at once. If I am missing a setting somewhere, can someone please share some knowledge with me? I know, I could use a multi port midi interface, but really want the Nord’s External control for Mainstage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smcelyea

5pin din and USB midi control simultaneously

Sponsor

Re: 5pin din and USB midi control simultaneously

Postby maxpiano » 14 Jun 2018, 07:22

Sure you can, but you need to use the 2 Extern Sections of A and B Slots, activating both Slots simultaneously as when you layer them; one Extern will be set to MIDIx for the Digitech and the other to USBx for Mainstage
Last edited by maxpiano on 14 Jun 2018, 07:24, edited 2 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
smcelyea
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby smcelyea » 14 Jun 2018, 07:25

Thank you SO much. I suspected there was a way, I just needed someone smarter than me to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smcelyea

Postby Quai34 » 14 Jun 2018, 11:20

Thanks, I was about to reply and say the same stuff because I know that I have the Midi or USB choice in the EXT section but because I don't use any computer live, I was not sure it could be done....Well, I could have answered because you never said it was for live...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby anotherscott » 14 Jun 2018, 15:28

One more slant on this is that the OP seemed to be talking about triggering one of the devices on the Global channel, and the other on a specific channel. While I think the two-slot EXT approach would still work (just make one of the two EXT channels the same as the Global channel), I think the fact that he's using the Global channel means he might be able to do this on just a single slot, since I think even just one slot can send MIDI to one device on the Global channel (not using any EXT parameters) and another device on a specific other channel (via the EXT function). This could be useful if for some reason he wants to be able to do this while leaving the second slot inactive, or if he'd like to use the second slot for yet a third external MIDI device.

OTOH, triggering an external device on the Global channel *without* using the EXT function could introduce other complications... i.e. moving the drawbars will send MIDI commands to that device which may produce undesirable results. So then you'd also have to turn off the system function that sends MIDI control commands, which may or may not be fine, depending on what else you're looking to do.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
smcelyea
anotherscott

Return to Nord Stage Forum